Black Moor/ Comet?

I just bought a black moor, but a closer look told me it wasn't only a black moor. It has a single tail, and it's color is more of a brown/ bronze than a black. Also, it's eyes dont extend out as far as a normal black moor. Could this be a black moor/ common goldfish mix? I know the pic isn't to good, it's from a cell phone.

Photo1822.jpg

Yes, sure. They are a bit rare, but not uncommon. Fancies with single tails usually get culled by breeders, that's why it is hard to find one. Sure looks like a little cutie!

Yes, sure. They are a bit rare, but not uncommon. Fancies with single tails usually get culled by breeders, that's why it is hard to find one. Sure looks like a little cutie!

I just bought a black moor, but a closer look told me it wasn't only a black moor. It has a single tail, and it's color is more of a brown/ bronze than a black. Also, it's eyes dont extend out as far as a normal black moor. Could this be a black moor/ common goldfish mix? I know the pic isn't to good, it's from a cell phone.

Photo1822.jpg

A black telescope (or Moor) with a single tail is called a Nymph. Steve at Rain Garden has them for sale at times. A Fantail with a single tail is also called a nymph. These are fairly hard to find but aren't considered rare. Yours could be a cross between a comet/common and a Black Moor as you mentioned the bronzing which would explain the lack of color as well as the smaller eyes. Buggy Bear presently has a black Nymph in her telescope tank. Nymphs do grow larger than Black Moors. Hope that helps! ;)

Fancy goldfish that don't have two tails are called nymphs but it does look like a common and black moor cross to though but I think its one or the other

• 5 weeks later...

Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the bug eyes and black colouration of black moors are considered recessive genes which means if a black moor is bred to a comet, it would be unlikely (although not impossible?) to exhibit those characteristics. So, I think he is more likely a single-tail black moor than a cross. :)