<-- Bleeding Heart

So an innocent trip to the grocery store cost me. Went shopping, picked up a new 10g for the axolotls.... and of COURSE had to stop by the fishy section. There, I met the sweetest, tiniest little black moore, with one cloudy eye fighting the current in a dirty tank. He's now home in my up and running 5g QT tank.

Meet Tellin (tried to take a picture, but the detail is lost. He's about an inch long. The moss ball in the background is smaller than a golf ball.)

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk38/O-Kori/?action=view¤t=Tellin.mp4

It makes me so angry that these superstores try to house fish along with all their other 9000 products, and in the end it's the animal that suffers. They're never well taken care of, always covered with ich or half dead (or full dead) at the bottom of the tank, and it makes me sick.

I'm not banking on Tellin surviving, but I've done my best to make him comfortable, clean water, lots of room, and hopefully he'll pull through. I think it's a kinder life then he'd have found in that place.

Just thought I'd share.

Edited by stakos
image repair

Oh wow. He's TINY and ADORABLE!!! :wub: That's a 5g tank?!

I hope he pulls through, it'd be great for you! :) Hang in there Tellin! :goodluck

Well thank you for trying Stakos =)

Yes, it's a 5 gallon. He's SO tiny!!! I thought about putting him in a 10g, but I'll wait to see how he does (And he'd probably get lost in it!!!). As of right now he's okay.... hanging out at the surface alot, and not going too far. I''m worried about his cloudy eye, but I'll try keeping him healthy with clean water and seeing how far that gets me. Wish me luck!

I can't even fathom how tiny he must be if thats a 5 gallon tank. Good luck to you with your rescue! Hopefully the clean water will perk him right up.

Good and bad news. Tellin passed on quietly in the night. Because I'm a sap, he's buried out in the garden next to Gilbert the Oranda.

T3T Tested water to make sure it was not my fault, and params were fine. Both the filter and the water were from an established tank.

Returned to the same #$%*@#*$(@ place, and bought two more of the fish and tried to talk to the young man helping me about it. The gravel is covered with algae, the water is murky brown on most of the tanks, and there are ALWAYS half a dozen dead fish in each tank. They house aggressive fish with non agressive fish, etc etc. There is a tank so crowded with snails that they can't move. Snails. The young man (who while very nice, I could have put my fingers through his ear lobs and had more tattoos than a carnival act <3) made small talk with me about it, and after bagging my fish finally stated,

"Well... yeah. I feel sorry for them and all, but they're just fish."

And that sums it all up, does it?

So I bought the last black moore and a tiny calico/metalic fantail. They are the same size as Tellin, the fantail is a bit smaller. I can only guess at how young these fish are, but hoping to be able to move them outside to a "pond" in a couple weeks. Don't want to stunt their growth by keeping them in a 5g forever.

Aw.. :( Poor Tellin... He was so adorable, so cute... It's a shame he didn't survive the previous brutalities placed on him. :cry

Hopefully these two will do better. It's sad about that fish store.. I wish America had the same rules some other countries do when it comes to fish or even other animal's care.. :no:

:goodluck this time around. :heart

They don't/won't care. It's one of those supermarts that tries to carry everything. The fish are just a nice accessory to their pet supply section, but even children comment on how dirty the tanks are. I refuse to buy any more fish and support them, because they'll only replace what I buy anyway. These guys just tugged at my heartstrings.

How sad. I really liked the little fella. I'm hoping the other two will be doing better :)

And they are probably gonna be alright in the 5g for a short while, considered how little they are right now. Do three big water changes weekly (shouldn't be much work on 5 gallons) to keep them from getting stunted. That way they can grow a bit and fatten up before going in the pond :)

Thanks for the advice! It was hard loosing him, we only had him a day, but he was such a sweet little guy. Going to feed them lots of yummy, diverse food, and hopefully grow them out a bit before winter. I couldn't put them in my main tank. They'd be eaten X_X

SS853578.jpg

Here's the little fantail and the moore. You can see a the curl in the moore's tail, but otherwise his fins are very long and flowing. The little calico is the spunky one, fat and chasing everything (even if it doesn't move) They're quite a pair.

Sorry to hear about Tellin, but at the very least he knew a bit of happiness before he passed. :(

Your two new ones are adorable! Good luck with them!

I'm the same...I go into a store and I wish I could 'rescue' all of the fish.

Offtopic, but...you have axolotls? I am SO jealous! I've always wanted one. :D

lol, I have four axolotls, two wild type and two leustic. They're about two months old; i got them at about 2 inches and they're well over 6 inches now. I'll post pictures in another thread!

Both little fishies are doing quite well. They have BIG chubby bellies, are fed four times a day, with water changes and sand siphoned every day (thanks to all that tiny pink poop on my white sand >_O ) I've never raised goldfish from such small sizes, so these two might be my little guiena pigs with foods.

Thinking of naming the fantail Fry (from Futurama) because of his orange splotch on his head and his overall "de-de-de" behavior, and naming the black moor Bender (he does have a curled tail) and is always paling around with Fry <3

Cute names and even CUTER fish!

I wish these superstores would just stop selling live animals also, it pulls at the goldfish lover in us but like you said, they just keep replacing them and keeping them in horrible conditions. I would have had a hard time not smacking the dude that said they are just fish.... :wa They are living creatures dangit! Least these 2 will have a happy life with you. :)