What Should I Do If My Oranda Goldfishis Turning Color

Guest tiger 'n' me

Guest tiger 'n' me

:gfish: :gfish: If your gold fish is turning color, dont worry Oranda gold fish change color at least 2 times their whole life. The reson for this can vary. Some gold fish dont cange color, and some do. If you put your Oranda on a strickt diet and they'er under a light source, they will turn color. If not than expect your goldy to stay the same! if your Oranda turns black it'll start out with just black spots all over it. Don't think they have a disies becuase they dont its just natrl for them. these fish are for expirensed handelers. For example there are many things you should look out for. Look at the list below!!!! :why: they turn color is somthing that is fun to find out!!!

[*]water should never be above 80 degrees f* :badidea

*]should never be below 70 degrees f* :badidea

[*]everyone needs a friend. get your goldie a friend to! :grouphug

[*]real plants are used as a source of food :fishtank:

[

*]need a filter (Orandas poop ALOT!!! :oops:

[ :rules: *]a small fish tank (2 gallon) is a ----> :noway

Yep, usually their color catches my eye...then I look at the over all shape & fins....then I watch them for awhile to see (as best as is possible) if they seem to be in over all good health. I often have one or more workers ask if I need help....but I explain I want to observe the fish before I decide to get it.

Mhmm..I spent a little over 30 min watching the goldfish at the lfs before i picked mine out. I probably looked like a dork, but it was totally worth it :thumb:

I also asked them to give them a light feeding just to see who went for the food. Kinda helps determine health, I think.

Mhmm..I spent a little over 30 min watching the goldfish at the lfs before i picked mine out. I probably looked like a dork, but it was totally worth it :thumb:

I also asked them to give them a light feeding just to see who went for the food. Kinda helps determine health, I think.

Wait did they feed them? Or did they say no?

Thanks for the post about color change, it's definitely true that most goldfish will go through some kind of change in their lives. I just wanted to add a couple of things:

If you put your Oranda on a strickt diet and they'er under a light source, they will turn color. If not than expect your goldy to stay the same!

This is often true, but not always. Genetics play a major role as well :)

If your Oranda turns black it'll start out with just black spots all over it. Don't think they have a disies (disease?) becuase they dont its just natrl for them.

Be careful about giving advice regarding diseases, you don't want someone to see symptoms on their fish and assume it's nothing. Black spots can be signs of ammonia burn, a serious problem!

Guest tiger 'n' me

yes well amonia starts out with black burns and this appes tobe torn when a fish is changing color that starts with the stomach (middel section) fist and gosse out if your fish has amonia itll look like skid marks not black sploches

!!!!!

• Supporter

actaully, it can and has many times looked like black spots as well as black edging on fins.. there are no real predections as to how ammonia burn will show.. just that it does show when it's healing and can look different shapes. many times members have posted pictures and we've identifyed it as ammonia burn when they've thought it to be a colour change.

actaully, it can and has many times looked like black spots as well as black edging on fins.. there are no real predections as to how ammonia burn will show.. just that it does show when it's healing and can look different shapes. many times members have posted pictures and we've identifyed it as ammonia burn when they've thought it to be a colour change.

:exactly

Also, black marks are not always from ammonia either. A fish with an injury can sometimes have black tissue where healing is taking place.