Leaky Test Tubes?

I dont know about anyone else-it may just be me not putting the lid on properly (dont think it is) but just now, I was doing the Nitrate test on my new tank (it is a few weeks old, so I am hoping for a nitrate reading), the tube leaked! It always has done for me. I normally put my test tubes in a sealed plastic bag and wear disposable gloves (me being paranoid?) because most of the test solutions are irritant/harmful etc., because I know my test tubes leak. Just now I was in a bit of a hurry so just put a bit of kitchen roll around the tube and I could really see how bad the leak was. around the top of the tube, it was yellow like the nitrate solution. Other peoples experiences?

I use Hagen Nutrafin master test kit, caps are different than API. No leaking so far, it's almost a year old. I do have API PH test, that tube also does not leak, so far.

Mine leak too, but I just suck it up and shake away from my face (the same way you're supposed to shake hair dye. :rofl )

All mine are leaky! Even when they were brand spanking, shiny, new, just out of the box! :doh11:

all of mine were leaky straight out of the box too! Api do great test kits-a shame that the test tube let it down :(

I never had a problem with mine leaking, but it might be because even when I shake the nitrate tube for an endless 60 seconds, I hold the cap down tight with one finger or thumb. :)

I do the same also, and after that, there was no more spill. :)

Actually, it says in the instructions not to put your finger over the cap when you are shaking the test tube. It can affect the test results.

I cover the caps with a paper towel and press down tightly on the caps when I shake them so droplets don't go flying everywhere. I'm slightly chemophobic- I also wear goggles and sometimes gloves if I'll be handling food after. :ignore Yes, I am aware that I have issues. :lol1

Actually, it says in the instructions not to put your finger over the cap when you are shaking the test tube. It can affect the test results.

Actually it says:

"Cap the test tube and invert tube several times to mix solution. DO NOT hold finger over open end of tube, as this may affect the test results."

I wasn't being snarky. Just quoted the instructions from API site. Sorry if it came across that way.

Edit: Ah, I see you changed your post.

Edited by Red

The only time mine leak is when I don't put the cap on all the way and don't hold it down while shaking. Some fluid is bound to leak out of there. It's just a simple, cheap, little plastic cap that does not screw down. I don't think it will harm anything unless you have some kind of allergy to the chemicals. I keep a paper towel near by to wipe up anything that may harm my floors or furniture and just wipe when done. No permanent damage to anything.

The nitrate test will tend to leak more than the other tests because you have to use solution #1, invert the tube a few times, uncap it and then use solution #2. Uncapping it will make a little fluid spill.

Edited by Bebop

I have had the same problem, but thought I was the only one. But after reading this thread, I tried covering the cap a little bit tighter with my finger and everything was fine ;) I always hated having a blue arm after doing my nitrite tests, so I took a huge sigh of relief after my test tube didn't leak for the 1st time during a test :alc