I Got A New Betta

jody

I saw the 5.5 gallon tanks at the LFS for only $15 and also the bettas looking so sad in their cups, so I figured what the heck lets get one. I already had a filter and heater so I purchased the tank, some craft plastic for a lid, and a filter cartridge. I spent $23 in total for all that. I got the tank all set up and headed back to the LFS for my betta. Well this guy picked me for sure. He kept staring intently at me all flared up. Their were others with more vibrant colors but I had a feeling about this one.

I got a plant with him, I heard they like leafy plants so I got the one pictured. I am thinking of potting it, although the LFS worker said I could just float it, not sure bout that?

Here he is (no name yet?)

betta3.jpg

betta2.jpg

And his little home I made for him

betta.jpg

I found a little Christmas candle ornament wit a big hole in the back as a little cave for him(he really likes it)

So far I fed him frozen blood worms and Hikari Fancy Guppy. I also have freeze dried blood worms, freeze dried brine shrimp,and tropical flakes to feed him.

Hey guys thanks for the nice words, I am glad you all like him :D

He made his first bubble nest tonight while I was at work, YAY :thumb:

Yeah Frederica I know what you mean about how they treat bettas. I was horrified at how the LFS worker just throw him in the bag. Also I bought a plant so the guy puts the plant in the same bag as the betta, with little water. I am looking at this bag and the betta can't even get to the surface for air. I asked for more water in the bag and he said he will be okay because they live for weeks in the little cups. So I asked to have the plant in a separate bag. I wonder what he meant with his two weeks comment, do they just leave them in there till they die or what. Anyhoo that's my rant. The treatment of bettas is not a new topic of conversation around here, I'll leave it alone now.

Oh and Red the PU I got it at is the one on Mountain Rd. They have a couple more that I saw. They also had a nice Marina 5 gallon kit with a nice filter and hood for $42 (on sale). On second thought I probably should have forked out the extra few bucks and got that.

Oh and Red the PU I got it at is the one on Mountain Rd. They have a couple more that I saw. They also had a nice Marina 5 gallon kit with a nice filter and hood for $42 (on sale). On second thought I probably should have forked out the extra few bucks and got that.

$15 sounds good to me. LOL Where I want it, the hood won't fit I don't think, so just the tank is great. I'm going today, hope there is one left. Patience will have more room than in his 2 gallon jar. :)

I think I have to remove the background though because he seems to be seeing his reflection. He keeps flaring up and his gill plate flares out while he looks at the back of the tank.