Bettas Fins

I have a betta that has got som bad holes in his fins :( He looks like a rose petal that has had bugs eating on it. I'm affraid he might be getting fin rot as the fins are getting worse. either that or the filter has tattered them. But what is the quickest way to fix him up? Anything other than water changes?

I have a betta that has got som bad holes in his fins :( He looks like a rose petal that has had bugs eating on it. I'm affraid he might be getting fin rot as the fins are getting worse. either that or the filter has tattered them. But what is the quickest way to fix him up? Anything other than water changes?

Of course I have turned the filter off.

Here is a bump so maybe someone here can help. I do not like to give med advice. Hope he gets better. I would start with water tests?

Well, thanks for the bump. I think he is getting better since I turned the filter off.

Let me preface this with *I am not a mod or a helper...and they are the MOST qualified to help*........

My betta Steve went through this before I moved him into his new house (3 gallon with heater) and filled the 3 gallon up to the filter line so there was the least amount of current. I also set his little pagoda house directly underneath to help buffer the flow from the filter.

It was the heat and frequent water changes that got him through the fin issue. To my knowledge bettas like tropical fish temperature range of 74-78 degrees...hospital tanks are often kept at 80-82 and heal more quickly at that temperature.

I also learned through the mods and helpers here that salt is not an option for bettas as they are labyrinth fish. I ended up ordering Atison's Betta Spa to add to his water, and he is doing so well with it now.

May I ask what your set up is and how long you've had it runnining.

I'm sure a mod or helper will swing by....but I wanted to give you a little of my experience in helping Steve get back to his purdy self.