New Lionheads

holley26

I just bought two new lionhead goldfish. They're both around 3.5" long. One is a bit bigger, maybe a couple centimeters longer. The bigger one seems to be picking on the smaller one.. Nibbling at his tail, pushing him, and chasing him. I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior or if I should be worried.. I don't want the little one to be bullied!

Thanks a lot :)

The one that is picking on the other, try to see if he has breeding stars on his gills. Looks kinda like this http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1259/663680680_8086e3b314.jpg

You can also see them on the very front of his pectoral fins. Sometimes the breeding stars are VERY hard to see. My comet is like that, until he became father of the goldfish fry I currently got, I was convinced he was a girl because I could never notice breeding stars.

This behavior could also be caused by lack of proper space. What size is their tank?

Their are two of them in a 33 gallon tank, which i thought was sufficient space.

Hmm alright thanks so much :)

I'm also wondering if the 33 gallon is big enough for two of them?

Would it be too many to have 3 in there?

I really won't go over 2 in that tank.

-James

i would not worry about it too much so long as the other fish is not stressed. as long as they are both eating and swimming well it should be fine. it could be breeding behavior or just play behavior. believe it or not goldfish do like to chase each other around in the tank. if you are worried about this behavior, try taking out the aggressive one for awhile and then placing him or her back into the tank. sometimes this stops that behavior

The one that is picking on the other, try to see if he has breeding stars on his gills. Looks kinda like this http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1259/663680680_8086e3b314.jpg

You can also see them on the very front of his pectoral fins. Sometimes the breeding stars are VERY hard to see. My comet is like that, until he became father of the goldfish fry I currently got, I was convinced he was a girl because I could never notice breeding stars.

I just noticed breeding stars on his gills! I spotted them last night.. They are hard to see, but definitely there.