Sign in to follow this  
Kulukan

Holy Planted Tank Batman!

So I got my plants from www.plantedaquariumscentral.com in the mail today (thank God that FedEx found me with my gravel yesterday) and these plants more than exceed my expectations!

I ordered:

1 large amazon sword

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/AMAZON-SWORD-easy-large-sword-plant-ama01.htm

1 ancharis

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/ANCHARIS-Egeria-densa-EASY-plant-turtle-food-ancharis06.htm

1 small sword

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/ECHINODORUS-PARVIFLORUS-TROPICA-small-sword-parv01.htm

1 gold creeping jenny

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/Golden-Lloydiella-Gold-Creeping-Jenny-VERY-EASY-goldlyod5.htm

1 green creeping jenny

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/Lloydiella-Creeping-Jenny-Lysimachia-nummularia-10-stems-lyod10.htm

1 Italian val

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/Vallisneria-Spiralis-Italian-Vals-Three-rooted-plants-itval03.htm

I received 2 small swords, 6 Italian val plants (the descriptions says 3), 2 bunches of each type of creeping jenny (the description says 1 bunch), a big beautiful sword plant and well, ancharis (lol not really anything to exclaim about). I had emailed back and forth with Heather from this site for a few weeks. She was very nice and helpful. I had mentioned that I had heard about her from Koko's and recommended things that have proven more goldfish resistant.

I love, love, love this site and my plants. I will never get plants anywhere else! In my lfs a sword this size costs $20! Once my goldies eat some of this up I will order from her to replace the salad bar items with ones that prove to be more goldie resistant.

p.s. shipping was only $11

Each clump of Italian val in my photos is actually 3 plants. I might spread them out a bit better. I have never planted a tank this heavily and any rearranging advice would be great! I hope the creeping jenny straightens out a bit and the vals seem a bit ragged, but I'm sure they will be fine. Everything but the wimpy sword in the back left, the remnants of java fern and they funny little thing that I assume to be anubias is from this order.

I also added the last half bag of CaribSea Instant Aquarium Tahitian Moon to the tank, so there is a full 40lbs in there now.

... waiting for the video to upload, its been about 15 minutes since the plants went in and nothing is torn up yet - I am pleased

... eating oatmeal, waiting for the upload - bleh to diet food but I had a terrifying bikini try on session yesterday

... put some brown sugar in the oatmeal, still waiting

... here we go!

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

and a video

th_2011-04-27_16-17-48_323.jpg

Wow! Beautiful tank, fellow Moon Sander :P

Those plants are amazing! I love it.

:Congrats:

It looks great :D The amazon swords will explode in growth. I really like the small swords, I will have to consider those if I buy from her again.

great stuff! i has tons of plants in my tank.. though i also have bearded algae as well.. :(

Wow! That looks great! Love the plants, love the gravel, love the fish...... :goodjob

Oh, and I can't wait till Kitty gets to be in there too. I know you got her right around when I got my Oranda,Clementine. And I'm counting the days till I can introduce her to the others and the bigger tank.

Oh, and I can't wait till Kitty gets to be in there too. I know you got her right around when I got my Oranda,Clementine. And I'm counting the days till I can introduce her to the others and the bigger tank.

I told myself when I got Kitty that she would get 4 weeks in QT...but as it gets closer I am slowly convincing myself that 3 weeks is fine. Hurry someone give me reasons to wait another week!!!

I told myself when I got Kitty that she would get 4 weeks in QT...but as it gets closer I am slowly convincing myself that 3 weeks is fine. Hurry someone give me reasons to wait another week!!!

Dead friends. :cry

That looks very good! I love it! :)

Looks like your off to a great start. Can I make one suggestion? You stems bunches should be broke apart. Maybe have one or only two planted together and enough space for light to get down to all the leaves and so they well barely touch.

Looking good. Can't wait to see it in a couple months.

ty everyone :) I have never planted anything so heavily before and so far the fish have left things mostly alone. Its really funny to see how slightly rearranged the sand is every morning - or the pile of sand on top of the big diamond from someone spitting out a mouthful :P

Dead friends. :cry

lol good one :P I will do my best to wait one more week.

Looks like your off to a great start. Can I make one suggestion? You stems bunches should be broke apart. Maybe have one or only two planted together and enough space for light to get down to all the leaves and so they well barely touch.

Looking good. Can't wait to see it in a couple months.

oooh, ty. I didn't know that I should do this, do they need to be spread out very far? The fish haven't ripped anything up yet (aside from the huge sword one time). I hope they leave these bunches alone once I separate them - it will be much more of a pain to put them back singly.

^I didn't know that either and never would have since mine were all grouped together with the provided weight. I'm kinda afraid to touch mine though since they have roots now...

I have done the leave them on the weight thing. Most never did well and then later when they did take root the bottom leaves would fall off.

Now I seperate mine. Not a lot the leaves can still touch but it gives them a better change for leave to not fall off on the bottom cause they can get more light and more of mine seem to take root instead of dieing off.

However you are doing high light co2 tank I don't think this is needed but with low light it seems to help the plants if they are not kept in bunches.

Don't know what to tell you about the fish. I don't keep many in my goldfish tanks cause they eat it or uproot it. Only plant in my goldfish tank is a bamboo plant.

Wow! Gorgeous tank. That seems like a great source you've found. If my lfs pans out again, I will definitely order from her.

Now that my tank gets more light in the new house, I'm hoping my plants will do better...I need to make another trip to the mom and pop lfs to try some more plants. The last batch - ludwegia - failed miserably. So far, I have an amazon sword that is making babies like crazy, but the main plant is not doing well. In the goldie tank, are 3 anubias, but they are so slow and low growing and I want something taller.

Anyway, :Congrats: on the new plants and fish. Your tank is looking stellar!

mj

My lights are rated for plants but the little CO2 thing that I bought is kind of meh. The reservoir would be reusable as would the bottle set up for the tabs, but I don't want to keep spending money on tabs. I might try to rig together a yeast/sugar concoction but those measurements seems to be designed for bigger reservoirs and bottles.

When people use the glass diffusers does the CO2 come from a pressurized bottle? How long does a bottle last and where would you even get one?

I have also read that under certain circumstances that CO2 can be dangerous. Does anyone know what those are?

I am going to separate my plants as soon as I am in a good mental state to get soaked. I'm just not there yet this morning though :P

The plants are spit up! Man do they cover a lot of area, I hope it doesn't get to crowded in there. The fish seem to enjoy swimming through all the plants.

busy busy!! (the horrible sound is my dishwasher)

th_2011-04-28_10-01-57_589.jpg

Looking good! I ordered plants from there also and love them. I didn't get my amazon swords from there but got 2 huge ones from the lfs and they are wonderful plants. I have no clue about the whole CO2 thing, I just have some natural light and regular lights on my tank.

Thanks Hidr for the heads up on separating them. :) I may need to do this as well.

Looks great.

Sorry but I also don't know anything about c02. What I do know is you need special lights to keep up with the growth that co2 can bring on and yes to much can kill fish.

It is also not cheep and just sounds to scary for me. Maybe someday but not any time soon Ill try real co2 in my 29 gallon but I really like my tanks to be as easy to care for as possible with as little worry as possible and I don't think a co2 planted tank would give me that. lol