[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? about 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8 or higher

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? same

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API

[*]Water temperature? about 76

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 Gallons 2months

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua clear

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every 2 days about 5 gal due to left over food

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? yesterday 5 gal

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 single tails about 1 inch and a bit

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? 3 times a day: Hikari pellets crushed, GC salmon flakes and freeze dried brine shrimp

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? not right now

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? fuzzy spot

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? not anymore

So Poseidon one of my little feeders had a case of fin rot when I got him and after my tank finally cycled I thought I'd best treat it. My local Aquarium shop said that Furan 2 is the best thing to use, which I did. But regretted soon afterwards because it seemed really harsh on the little guys. Anyways I finished the treatment and he looked fine for a little bit and actually is way more active than ever before, but now he has developed a "fuzzy" spot right at the end of his tail, which seems to be growing.

Can I just treat that with salt and clean water or is there anything mild I can treat it with as the other meds seemed way to harsh and I don't want to use those again.

Thanks for your input.

• Supporter

yes, i think salt to 0.1% should be fine for now if all other meds are out of the tank.. please increase your water changes to 50-60% per week.. this will be healthier for your fish..

also.. you will need to be looking at an upgrade 40-50 gallon tank soon to be keeping 2 single tails... they not only need the room for health reasons, but for swimming also.. single tails love to swim lenths of the tank & fast.

yes, i think salt to 0.1% should be fine for now if all other meds are out of the tank.. please increase your water changes to 50-60% per week.. this will be healthier for your fish..

also.. you will need to be looking at an upgrade 40-50 gallon tank soon to be keeping 2 single tails... they not only need the room for health reasons, but for swimming also.. single tails love to swim lenths of the tank & fast.

Thanks Stakos. 1 will add the salt.

I do change 5 G every second day, which is more than 50% every week. Do you think I should do bigger changes less often? I like to syphon out the left over food.

The 20 G is just their QT tank.

They are supposed to go in my pond once I know that they are healthy, but I want to make sure of that first as I have 3 big guys out there already.

• Supporter

what you're doing atm is fine for the food thing.. but, in order to rid most potential problems, there needs to be a large water change per week..

if they're not eating all the food, then you may be overfeeding. the white spot could be caused by bacteria perhaps? just a suggestion..

i recommend that you also cut down on the food. most here do not need to change 5 gallons intermitantly.. we just do the one to 2 big water changes per week depending on your tank stock levels.

Kerstin, yes. Fewer but larger water change remove more toxins and bacteria than many small ones. Maybe this example helps:

A 100% water change removes EVERYTHING.

Two 50% water changes only 75%. The first 50% removes 50% of course. Then you fill the tank back up, diluting the remaining 50% of original water. When you do another 50% water change then, it means that you remove only another 25% of the original water.

I hope I am making sense :rofl

I would do bi weekly 30-40% changes, or more if you want to :)