Would It Be Possible To..

Vee

I'm considering downsizing tanks, and have just gotten a really great offer for a full 29g set up (lights, the whole shebang).. I know it would be a little too small, because with just the fish I have I should need a 36g minimum (I also have 2 snails and 5 shrimp)

However, I do have more filtration than is recommended for tropical fish tanks... (the filters I have on run strong enough for a 55g goldie tank.)

If I increased my water changes (along with the 55g-strength filters) would it be possible? :unsure:

In my experience, no :(

You might be able to keep things healthy for a while, but in situations like that if you miss even one water change, things go bad fast. I speak from experience, it's not worth it :(

edit: sorry I just relaized this is tropical, not goldfish :rolleyes: So what types/how many fish do you have total?

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

In my experience, no :(

You might be able to keep things healthy for a while, but in situations like that if you miss even one water change, things go bad fast. I speak from experience, it's not worth it :(

:goodpost:exactly

Maybe I should rehome some of the fish, then.. :( I absolutely need to downsize..

Here's the estimated gallons each fish will need and what types/numbers of fish I have

8 platy - 2'' = 16g

6 Pristella - 2'' = 12g

4 Blind - 2'' = 8g

5 shrimp - 2''

2 snails

Total

25 fish And I'm just about at capacity if I include the room that should be there for the shrimp and snails.

Since your tank has not been running so long, I wouldn't recommend it. Long-established tanks are more forgiving in terms of overstocking, IME.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to downsize?

Edited by Calluna

Well the tank has technically been running since July.. Though it had goldfish in it most of the time and has been only fully cycled since about February.

I know I could seed the old filters into the new tank as well.. I even started the cycle on my current gf 55g tank with a handful of the bioballs from the current tank. I also have gravel that is probably housing some bbs..

Edit:

The current 50g is on the second level of my house and my dad is beginning to become uncomfortable about the amount of water there is upstairs. The only other room I could move the fish to is the room my goldies are in, and there's not much space for them either. In the long run I'm also preparing for when I go off to college. (I decided to stay at home in a tech school for another year, but after that I have to go off.)

Edited by Vee

I understand :( I wouldn't want 50 gallons upstairs either.

In that case, since it is really necessity, when you move them maybe you should add some extra filtration (as you mentioned, the bioballs and gravel) and a bunch of fast growing stem plants (like anacharis) to soak up the extra ammonia. Your fish are pretty hardy species, so I'd just monitor the water quality and do water changes and needed. Of course, rehoming a few fish would be a good idea too. Good luck!

Since your tank has not been running so long, I wouldn't recommend it. Long-established tanks are more forgiving in terms of overstocking, IME.

I couldn't agree more. My tropical tank is probably 2x overstocked but has been running for 2 years with triple filtration. It was also started off a tank that had been set up a year prior to that. So it can be done, but that doesn't mean it should be.

Maybe If I put on the filters that are meant to be on the 50g, and added another filter that's only labeled as a 20g filter, I'm not sure about the gph on it, all with seeded media, plenty of plants, etc.

How many gallons do ghost shrimp need? I have a small 5g tank that I might be able to put them in, but I don't want to over-cramp them.. :no:

Maybe I could get one of those 20g fish tanks with the stands that hold two tanks and get two separate 20g tanks.. The trouble would be finding one of those stands and two separate tanks to fit it.

Do you know anyone that is handy with building things? My husband just built a wonderful saltwater stand for his tank. Its just build out of 2x4's and then we used a thick, nice plywood on the sides, front, and top. I added a trim to the top and bottom edges and stained it almost black. It looks AWESOME! This cost all of like $30 but we had most of the 2x4's laying around. He said there are easy to follow directions online and that's what he used to frame it. He said they also had directions for 2 tanks on the one stand like you said. They also have the metal stands that hold 2 tanks as well. 20g ones I'm pretty sure like you said, not sure of the cost of them. Hope you find something that works and if you want the site for the ones you build just let me know and I'll find out from my husband. :)

Edited by Vahlla

Ok, now here is my input:

Why not split it into the 36g you are talking about, and a small 10g for the snails and shrimp? Or is there no room for the 10g either?

And - and I'm not trying to be a downer:

Don't forget that the life span of some of your stock is rather short. From what I read, snails usually get to about 18 months, unless your tropical tank is rather cold (under 75F). Shrimp live about 12-18 months as well.

So depending on how old your current stock in this tank are, they might be naturally down sizing "soon" anyway.

IF your tank is well established and IF you do larger water changes and have a good amount of plants, and are over filtrated, I can see it work.

But I am in no way SUGGESTING it though because - no offense - I don't know if you will commit to really do the required maintenance then, and with you leaving home sooner or later, is anyone else gonna be committed enough to do the extra work? :(

I hope you don't take this wrong! :)

I know where you're coming from. I always worry about having to leave fish behind. :( I don't think I'll be leaving them when I go off to college, though. I think I will most likely end up going to a college that is all of a thirty minute drive from home and getting an apartment, so I will probably end up keeping all my fish.

I keep my tropical tank at 75*F (the medium temperature that all the fish are capable of thriving in). I'm not sure about the lifespans of the snails, but I've had the one for quite a long time now and at first he wasn't doing well in my goldie tank but now he's really moving along, growing his shell out (Which amazed me, because it seemed to happen to grow about an inch over night! :rofl)

Any way I think I'll probably end up doing one or the other the 36 and a 10 or two 20g.

Right now I have a total of three live plants and intend on getting more when money is better (Plants require ordering from online with credit cards, because the ones in store are over priced for not so great quality.)

---

Vahlla I'd love to get the website from you. I thought of possibly building one, but I have no clue about how to go about it. I know that someone on here showed a guide on how to stack spray painted cinder blocks and wood to make a fairly nice one and I was considering doing something like that, but if I can build a better-ish looking one for generally cheap I'll do that! :)

More plants will surely help keeping extra nitrate down. I absolutely love my java ferns. They grow so well and keep reproducing, don't need much light either.

A good bubble wand or some stones will make sure enough oxygen over night. Higher gph is great too.

Again, not suggesting this, just saying that theoretically it is possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I split them (in groups) in what I think are two 20gs, possibly 30gs, I haven't measured yet. Most of the fish seem to be okay but the ones that are in a tank that now have proper lighting seem to hide all the time. :no:

I'm not quite sure why.. They never hid before, and I can manage to sneek peeks at them swimming freely in the tank but when I walk by they all dive for safety. Maybe I'll try moving the fish around..

Most fish are not too fond of bright light. It makes them feel like easy targets for predators.

Did they have lights before at all? If not, then it might be a matter of getting used to the brighter conditions.

They did have a light, though it was just an old desk lamp with two 15w bulbs. They've been in there for a week as well, so they should have had time to acclimate, right? :blink: