Flowerpot Q

I notice some people use flowerpots. Either in their display or qt. Do you do anything to the flowerpot or need a certain kind? What is the benefit, do they use it? I was trying to think of something I could put in the qt that would make a single fish feel more secure.

Flower pots are readily available and safe. With the except of that hole. Need to watch out if your fish might be a close match in size and could get stuck in the flower pot hole. Some people just break them so this doesn't happen.

I tend to set mine down with the hole sitting flat on the tank bottom.

I notice some people use flowerpots. Either in their display or qt. Do you do anything to the flowerpot or need a certain kind? What is the benefit, do they use it? I was trying to think of something I could put in the qt that would make a single fish feel more secure.

It's like you read my mind. I've been wondering this myself.

Hey Waaterfaller! ... I'm a pond person .... but have brought fish inside for the last 2 yrs ... I've had problems which the great folks here have helped me with .... I have, over the past couple years brought waterplants inside, in an effort to keep them alive over the winter .... for the most part this has not been successful but not because of the "Ceramic pots" ... they have not caused any problem with PH or anythingthing else .... as far as I know .....

washingtongoldfish

tom

I used one for a while as decoration. Regular flower pots are made from clay which is harmless for the fish. Just gotta rinse it good with hot water, because you never know who or what touched it before you purchased it.

Some fish like hiding in it, or swimming into it for fun. Mine never really cared for it so I took it out.

I wouldn't keep a flowerpot in a smaller tank for goldies, but in a big tank I don't see why not. I had a big one for ages, and the advantage of the bigger pots is the water circulates within it too so you don't get stagnant patches. If you do decide to go back to the flowerpot idea just make sure it's not got any paint or any glaze on it and you should be good to go :)

I wouldn't keep a flowerpot in a smaller tank for goldies, but in a big tank I don't see why not. I had a big one for ages, and the advantage of the bigger pots is the water circulates within it too so you don't get stagnant patches. If you do decide to go back to the flowerpot idea just make sure it's not got any paint or any glaze on it and you should be good to go :)

Thank you. I was just thinking for the qt, not the big tank

Just received those exciting three words...."FedEx Shipment Notification" :clapping:
That is exciting!

:bounce

Just received those exciting three words....

"FedEx Shipment Notification" :clapping:

Me too! Are you as excited about it as i am? RG Fishies!!!

I always put a small silk plant in the QT (and I disinfect it with PP along with everything else when I am done) so give fish a place to hide. I also cover half (sometimes all) the QT with a towel when a fish is stressed or injured to povide darkness....at least for the first few days .I never put a pot in there, but the silk plant in a corner seems to work pretty well.

I have unpainted terracotta pots. (is that even spelled right?) anyone only ones I would recomend as the paint on the others might be bad for the fish.