Some Help Plz!

Guest Hanna Banana

Guest Hanna Banana

Hi, I need some help. I bought a 8L kritter keeper and went to petland to look for something that can live in there. I asked the person working there what to get and he scooped me 2 fish that looks like this. He told me that they will always stay little and are very easy to care for because they don't get sick plus they were only 25 cents each. He told me they were really good beginner's fish so I bought them with 2 plastic plants and some fish food. When my sister was helping me feed them she told me I bought the wrong fish food because I got tropical fish flakes and goldfish aren't tropical. So I went to nnnnnn and looked for goldfish fish food, I saw a goldfish book and decided to read some stuff. It said in the book that goldfish will grow up to 12 inches and need filters!!

So I tried to return the fish on Sunday because my kritter keeper was too small and I don't have a filter. I tried to explain to them that the person working there told me they stayed small but he wasn't working that day. They told me that they can refund my 50 cents back but the fish will have to get flushed because they have a no live return policy. So I just got my 50 cents back and I don't know what to do with my fish. :(

The other there person suggests that I can get some live plants and they will be like filters. So I bought some hornwort (is that how you spell it?) and java moss. But I don't know what I'd do if they get too big. My sister said I can just put them in the freezer and put them to sleep but I don't want to kill them. I don't know what else I can do with them.

So is there a way to make them stay small? How fast are they going to grow?? Any help would be nice. Thank you!1!!

Welcome :)

First off, by making them "stay small" you are slowly killing them by shortening their lifespan. If you can't get a tank that is 40 gallons the best thing would be to rehome them. Try posting on craigslist or even facebook for someone who is willing to take them.

Good luck

Guest Hanna Banana

I don't think I know anyone with a pond. I guess I'll post something on Craigslist and maybe someone will take them. Should I tell them that they need a pond or a big tank?

Hi!

Well, first thing you need to do now is this:

Decide if you really want to get into proper fish keeping or not. No one blames you if you don't :)

Proper fish keeping would mean in this case: at least a 40 gallon tank. If possible, a 55 gallon tank since these fish will need a lot of swimming room. Single tailed goldfish like yours grow very big as you learned, and need 20 gallons each. That is because they produce a lot of waste and need much water to have the toxins from their waste diluted as much as possible.

Additionally they will need proper filtration. That would be a filter that turns over the entire volume of tank water 10 times per hour (gph). So for a 40gallon tank 400gph, for 55 gallons 550gph. You'd probably have to get two filters to combine their filtration (that is what I do :) )

Then you have to commit yourself to change 50% of the water weekly.

That pretty much covers the basics. If you are willing to do this, you will have a lot of fun with some very beautiful, fun pets. You will notice that they have personalities, you will love how they dance around when they see you and beg for food etc.

So take a couple days and think about this. Until you made up your mind make sure you change the entire water of your critter cage DAILY, or even twice daily. It will accumulate so many toxins otherwise that your fish can get sick and die :(

Then, if you decide to not keep them, you can advertise them for free on craigslist or free cycle, the local newspaper (if they have a free pet ad section) etc.

Good luck, and if you need any more advice, you are more than welcome to keep asking about anything you need to know :)

They would probably be better off in a pond, but they will do well in a large tank. Good luck finding them a new home! And it good to see that you are doing what it is best for the fish, it is tough to find people like that :goodjob

Guest Hanna Banana

thanks, i don't think I'm allowed a tank that size so i will try to find them homes. i posted an ad on craiglist and on kijiji. Hopefully someone might want them. i been doing 100% every day for them so they have clean water but i can do twicea day, before and after i go to school. Hopefully someone with a good tank will adopt them. :unsure:

Thanks for caring enough to keep up those water changes. Hopefully, someone will respond to your ad. Just make sure your parents are home if someone comes by to adopt your fish. The other thought is to think if you have seen any ponds in your area and offer to donate them.

No reply so far. =( do you think if I dug a really big hole in my yard and added some plants, they can live in there???

Well I don't know much about constructing ponds, but I know that you would definitely need some pond liner over the dirt in order to do that. You might be better off buy some sort of kiddie pool or a large rubbermaid containter

That's not a bad idea. Those kiddie pools. I know Wally World sells HUGE inflatable kiddie pools for under $ 20. I know you wouldn't have filtration on it, but I think with two tiny fish like that and a 6 foot diameter pool which I am guessing holds at least 100 gallons of water, you should be fine for a while until you find a new home for them. And then you guys can use that pool for yourself, after cleaning it good.

And MAYBE seeing those little fish grow up will make your parents want to keep them, and your dad could build you a nice little patio pond or you are allowed a bigger fish tank.

Maybe.

Guest Hanna Banana

nobody replied to my ad at all. my mom said there was no way she was going to buy a pool for goldfish. She said i can dig a small hole in the backyard and put the fish in there if i want to but no pools. well i guess i can just keep waiting for someone to take them.

if no one takes them, my grandpa said he can make a small patio pond for them. he wants to grow water lilies and found a wooden barrel at a wine store for cheap. it kind of looks like the second last one from this site. he says it holds 90l of water, will that be better for my fish?

The problem with a hole in the ground is that the water will sink in leaving your fish lying on top of mud. To hold water, you need a plastic liner for the hole, and that has to be thick plastic. It would cost more than a little wading pool.

Grandpa is a real sweetie to want to build a patio pond for your fish. The barrel is a little small for your fish. If he could build a box that contains at least 200 l and line it with pond liner, you would have a perfect home for both your fish and his water lilies.

nobody replied to my ad at all. my mom said there was no way she was going to buy a pool for goldfish. She said i can dig a small hole in the backyard and put the fish in there if i want to but no pools. well i guess i can just keep waiting for someone to take them.

if no one takes them, my grandpa said he can make a small patio pond for them. he wants to grow water lilies and found a wooden barrel at a wine store for cheap. it kind of looks like the second last one from this site. he says it holds 90l of water, will that be better for my fish?

I guess those would be better for your fish, but then we'd have to get into cycling and everything. It is a long process. :o If you are willing to give them up, then you should phone up other petstores around you and ask if they will accept your goldfish. ;)

-James.

Edited by Goldfish1234

You're doing a good thing by making sure that your fish have the best possible home. So glad you decided against the freezer idea. Many people are under the impression that by placing a fish in the freezer that they die peacefully. That is not the case. From what I've read it's not an easy (or painless) death. Kudos to you for putting forth the effort for your fish! :)