A Sign For Goldfish?

Acro

Actually, I agree with Jody. The average lifespan of a goldfish is around 8 years.....the potential is not 40-50 years, but more like 15-20 years. Maybe you're thinking of koi, Au-fish?

I think the consensus is that many fancy goldfish suffer from premature death due to genetic disorders.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/4341254.stm

Nope, the potential for koi is around 200 yrs.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/34936-226-year-old-koi/

• Admin

Kois live alot longer than any other of the Carp family. Koi's arent goldfish they are related but not the same fish.... So yes Koi's can live up to 200 years old....

Goldfish on the other hand, only the commons and comets can live to 20-40 years, I know there is a record of this, but in general the Fancy's dont live this long, they have been so genetically changed that there live spans are alot shorter then there relatives the comet and commons :)

I agree, sign's like that should be all over the pet shops with all the different types of animals... and there needs posted in black and white so no one can say they weren't warned :) we'd have a lot fewer homeless animals ;)

They look great, Sakura! :)

The only thing I would change though is the angle of the photo of the fish. Because I wouldn't doubt that a lot of future goldfish owners don't even recognize this as goldfish. I remember years ago when I had no clue about all this, I usually thought of "goldfish" as your typical common or comet.

So seeing a fancy from the front might... I don't even know how to end this sentence. But I am sure you get the idea.

I think a side view of a big oranda or telescope etc would be great. That's how people see them at the store, they look what the entire body looks like. Fins etc.

I feel like I am not able to make any sense today D:

They look great, Sakura! :)

The only thing I would change though is the angle of the photo of the fish. Because I wouldn't doubt that a lot of future goldfish owners don't even recognize this as goldfish. I remember years ago when I had no clue about all this, I usually thought of "goldfish" as your typical common or comet.

So seeing a fancy from the front might... I don't even know how to end this sentence. But I am sure you get the idea.

I think a side view of a big oranda or telescope etc would be great. That's how people see them at the store, they look what the entire body looks like. Fins etc.

I feel like I am not able to make any sense today D:

Thats so weird because i remember that when i was young (5-6 years old, class 2 in school) i was told i could get a goldfish and all through the school day i had this image of a Black Moor in my head, no common, no comet nothing, just a black moor. i loved the fancies more than the commons even at that age. But in the end we ended up with 3 commons that lived for 2-3years. :)

When I was a kid you could get moors, fantails and maybe red capped orandas. Absolutely no ranchus or lionheads, celestials or bubble eyes. I remember when I got back into goldfish in my 20's and saw my first ranchu, I was smitten! I'd never seen anything like it. So 'back in the day' I never would have recognized one as a goldfish either.

There has to be some sort of make your own sticker site.. They do it with t-shirts now a days. I'm not sure of exact sites for that either, but I think the general idea is you go and select your "base" t-shirt and add pictures and text and all that.

It is a good idea, though.. :)

You can make your own bumper stickers here--

http://www.zazzle.com/custom/bumperstickers

There has to be some sort of make your own sticker site.. They do it with t-shirts now a days. I'm not sure of exact sites for that either, but I think the general idea is you go and select your "base" t-shirt and add pictures and text and all that.

It is a good idea, though.. :)

You can make your own bumper stickers here--

http://www.zazzle.com/custom/bumperstickers

I think the signs are an excellent idea! I worry though they will scare off potential goldfish hobbyists. How many of us started out overstocked and undereducated? And look at us now. I believe for the signs they should state the bare minimum and then preferred or ideal conditions, not one or the other. I feel that if someone could just afford a 10 gallon and one fancy that would be better than getting scared away from the hobby. I also think, as mentioned on the forum before, that a phamplet should be available and given to customers to take with them on goldfish care.

If they can only have a ten gal, I'd say there's better fish choices out there then goldfish. And I'd rather people know that upfront. IF the goldfish died because they are in a too small tank, then the fish keeper may quit out of frustration. If they live, the fish keeper may think it's just fine to keep deformed/stunted goldfish in a small tank for life.

Much better that these people keep fish that will thrive in their small aquarium and then maybe later when they've had success with their small tank, they'll move onto a larger tank.

Oops I meant to say one fancy in a 20 gallon. My bad. I was thinking about the olden days at kokos, lol.

Sakura your posters are really nice. Can I post them on Tumblr? I know a goldfish fancier who would like to see it, and Tumblr's quite good for informing people about issues like animal cruelty and so on :)

Fanx!

Oops I meant to say one fancy in a 20 gallon. My bad. I was thinking about the olden days at kokos, lol.

Sakura your posters are really nice. Can I post them on Tumblr? I know a goldfish fancier who would like to see it, and Tumblr's quite good for informing people about issues like animal cruelty and so on :)

Fanx!

Sure, no problem. :) Can you just put somewhere on there something like, "credit- Sakura at Koko's Goldfish Forum"? Something along those lines.

Fanx!

Sure, no problem. :) Can you just put somewhere on there something like, "credit- Sakura at Koko's Goldfish Forum"? Something along those lines.

I put your name on the image :)

http://myvegetarianlife.tumblr.com/post/5172376270/http-www-kokosgoldfish-invisionzone-com-forum-fo