Sign in to follow this  
Sand

How I Loved My 12 Cent Common Goldfish

By being put into bad conditions, the feeders are being subjected to a un-natural selection. After the diseased feeders die off, the ones that survive those conditions are tougher.

It would be the pampered fanices that I suspect wouldn't develop as much of an immune system.

I was almost tempted at the feeder tank in the local store the other day, but I held out :)

What a lovely tribute. I would love to have some commons or comets, but I got fancies because I didn't think I could provide a big enough tank for those types.

That's a lovely story :D

I can't say I've actually ever seen feeder fish for sale in any stores here. But even so, commons never seem to get the same treatment as the rest! :(

thank you guys :) hey Shawnee my new Ryunkin looks just like your white one second from the right in your signature! I'm from michigan too!

Around maybe two months ago i did lose my flippin mind and got TWO more fish. i got a new tiny "feeder common goldfish" and a tiny ryukin. i got them from a big chain and assuming they'd have contagious stuff, i set them up with their own tank on my desk that i study at. now i already had this tank sittin around http://www.petco.com...0Aquarium-14978

so i added new gravel, a hand full of old gravel from an established tank, java ferns,anubias, and media from another well established tank, and let me tell ya, i love my new fish. they did look a bit thin when i got them, but of course with good water and food, they are lovely. and like my Common feeders before, my new common is gorgeous with black lips and a black stripe, and my ryunkin is sassy and cute. one day when i was cleaning the tank i thought, what the heck, let's give them a fun feed day; so since they are still little, i scooped them out with a cup and set them in a bowl while i cleaned their home , and i fed them probably triple or quadruple what i normally feed them, knowing that they wouldn't be dirtying up the tank, just the bowl. HEEHEE, they were in hog heaven and had little bellies that stuck out for a few hours. they are only in a 6.5 gallon tank, so i don't go crazy feeding them normally. so fun having new fish. not fun cleaning all of my tanks!!!! when my neighbors look in the windows they must think i'm a fish biologist!! haha.

no more pix till december when i have time to mess around , school will be over then, whew!

Haha, Sand, I'm from and in Michigan, but I used to live in Florida! In fact, cruising Clearwater Beach was the thing to do on weekends!

What do you think of the bookshelf tank? I'm planning to get that for my daughter for Christmas for Glofish. She keeps asking for them, but the little Glofish kits are only 3 gallon boxes and they are active fish. I think the bookshelf tank should give them the space they need to swim.

I'm glad to hear that you got some new fish. :)

Shawnee : well i love the book shelf tank! i've had it for years (i bought it at the Petco in michigan :) and the filter that came with it still works great! bcuz it's small, i respectfully recommend a few inches of gravel and plants for a complete ecosystem, in my humble opinion, it is healthier especially in a small setup.

though i have gravel, i ONLY have it on 2/3rds of the tank. i do that in all of my tanks actually :) that way there is some bare bottom for me to drop food onto.

recently the inside of the reflector sort of melted, maybe the new bulb was too strong and hot? i'll never know, i threw it out, but it's in front of a North facing window so they get natural light. AND it has a clear plastic cover so the water won't evaporate and the cats won't get the fish!

Thanks for your review of the tank. It sounds great! It's just the one for us, I think. I agree that plants are important. My daughter, who's 8, thinks pink gravel important! I figured I would insist that she get at least a moss ball and an anubis. But maybe we'll get something else too.

I'm a little late on this (as usual) but I loved reading your tribute :) I had a guy named Scarface who happened to jump in the net and ended up being one of my favorite fish ever. Bless their hearts :heart

Oh dear, those three gal kits are one of those bad marketing ideas. Probably purchased by dumb noobs who buy a pair of glofish. I think glofish should be housed in at least a ten gal tank if not larger. They are small fish, but quite active.

Not to hijack this, but the bookshelf aquarium offers two feet of swimming space even though it's a low-gallon tank. The fish would have more horizontal swimming space than in a 10.

I'm a little late on this (as usual) but I loved reading your tribute :) I had a guy named Scarface who happened to jump in the net and ended up being one of my favorite fish ever. Bless their hearts :heart

Thanks :) I'm already in love with my new feeder :) i swear in just the last 3 days the dark stripe down his back is changing to orange, but he still has black lips, so friendly, just love him!!

and to Shawnee, ya and whatever gravel ends up in there, the good bacteria will dissolve very nicely any "waste" that is not vacuumed and then the plants have home made fertilizer :) BTW I have "green colored" gravel in the little tank, the rest of my tanks have expensive Flourite for the plants and mineral content

Edited by Sand

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of these posts about feeders. Personally, I don't like fish that have a slimmer silhouette than myself, however, my Mother liked my goldfish so much that she wanted some of her own in her bedroom so she would have something enjoyable to watch when bedridden. I bought her 5 feeders and placed in a 10 tank thinking that a few of the fish would die in the next few weeks as I had heard from so many. Well, let me tell you something! Those scrawny little fishes have all survived and really gotten quite attractive. My Mom feeds them while calling them "Over here Beebies, over here!" Come get your fried potatoes, come get your butterbeans and cornbread!" She's so cute! She told me one night while we sat in the dark of her room and watched those little cuties dart all over her tank that she absolutely loved those fish and that they are one of the best gifts she has ever received in her life. Now here is the approaching problem. They are outgrowing the 10 gallon and she has no room for anything bigger. How on earth and I going to tell her she is going to have to give up some of them? In closing, I truly enjoyed all of your posts. Great reading and knowledge on this forum.

If you find a 20 high, that would be the same "footprint" as a 10 gal. That would still be tight quarters for a pair of goldfish though.

oh my Ranchudaddy that IS a predicament!!!

I can also relate. One of my 3 feeder goldfish I got as a 2nd grader from a school fair lived for about 12 years. His name: Michael J. Fish since I had such a crush on him.

One day I came home with another few goldfish and I told my brother (8 yrs older) to not touch them, leave them alone and I'll get them into a new tank. I had a feeling if he saw the small fresh fish he'd realize how old he was and die. Well... when I got home my brother had added the other fish to Michael J. Fish's tank and he passed away.

Such weird explanations from the mind of a child.