Sign in to follow this  
Sand

How I Loved My 12 Cent Common Goldfish

YEARS ago I bought two 12 cent feeder goldfish. they did so poorly and they'd get better with meds in the water, then get sick again. i asked someone at the store why they kept getting sick, and she explained to me, "well they're not treated very well, they pack tons of them in garbage bags and ship them to us, and we aren't allowed to feed them because there are too many in the tank and it would pollute it more. they are subjected to too much ammonia in that shipping bag and they are probably getting more ammonia in that crowded tank. then of course after all of that we don't feed them. lots of people buy them for pets, but they never live more than a few weeks because of their poor treatment. they are really meant to be fed to bigger fish.

so after that I bought expensive medicated food, fed them that, they finally got better and stayed better and they lived for YEARS. About 10 or 12 years I'd guess. And they got nice and big and long, and one changed to mostly orange as she grew, hahah, imagine how surprised i was.

Of course there were hundreds in the feeder tank on that day that i picked them out, but I made them pick me out two beauties with colored lips and crazy body and fin colors which made them so beautiful.

i made people from my family look at them, and they thought they were neat because of their coloring too.

When I first brought them home, oh how they LOVED the big 30 gallon planted show tank that they were in, and they were so tiny when I brought them home - that the tank seemed so huge.

they'd play in the bubbles and stream from the directional spout from the fluval canister. it was so adorable and it was so obvious that they were playing.

I loved them dearly and when one died i drove to my mom's to be consoled and i cried off and on for a few days ;(

I often think of them when I look at the expensive fish on the auctions.

I never loved any other fish as much as I loved them and they seemed so happy to be with me.

So this is just a note, dedicated to them, my two little 12 cent happy and beautiful babies. You are remembered. :heart:heart

And a lovely note at that.

I picked up a goldfish from a feeder tank last August. I found one that looked like a watonai which I had never seen before.

I think while feeder goldfish are generally the goldfish culls, there are some gems to found among them.

Awww what a nice story! :) But it is true, those poor feeders are treated horribly. Makes me so happy with my Orange Fishie, who came from one of those tanks too. Now, two years later, he is a bit over 8 inches long and father, living happily in a 55 gallon tank :)

What a beautiful tribute to your fish. I've had feeders too, and loved them just as much as my more expensive fish. My oldest one is now over 3 years and is the king of my pond with his gorgeous flowing fins and tail. I hope I can keep him and my others healthy for many more years.

Thanks for writing this. It is wonderful to hear about fish that lived so long, and were so loved. :heart

What a lovely story :heart Thanks for sharing :) I recently rehomed my 2 feeders and my rescue to a pond, I had them for just over a year before they moved :heart

What a beautiful ode to your fish! Thank you for sharing that. Our longest living fish (12 years) was a 99 cent fantail from Walxmart, so I know exactly what you mean :D

Very lovely story :) Its nice to see the feeders get some love

My 3 oldest fish were/are commons from the feeder tank. Maverick is about 8 and Jango is 3. We lost Goose a little over a year ago (when he was 7). Even with my cute little pearlie in the big tank with the commons, and my tele and oranda waiting out their QT time, Maverick and Jango still in the spotlight. They have so much personality and are so friendly and fun, they follow each other around the tank and definitely share whatever types of bonds that goldfish can have between each other. What they lack in fancy fins and crazy head growths they more than make up for in personality :)

ahhhhh, I'm so glad to read that each of you appreciate all of our fish and not just the fancies.

Kulukan, I'm glad to hear that Maverick and Jango still have the spotlight.

My two also followed each other around and they reminded me of kids at the slide taking turns when they'd play in the fluval stream. I used to pull up a dining room chair at sit for the LONGEST time watching them. I did that all the time!

I eventually got a gorgeous little red cap oranda too, but I have to be honest, I just never loved any of my fish like those two happy little buddies. I didn't realize how big they'd grown until one day I found an old photo of them, heehee. The oldest one, the one who turned all orange just died a few months ago, my baby. He let me hand feed him since he was little.

One of my comets is literally a rescue from a S.A. redtail catfish tank. And s/he was free with the purchase of my redcap oranda.

Awww what a nice story! :) But it is true, those poor feeders are treated horribly. Makes me so happy with my Orange Fishie, who came from one of those tanks too. Now, two years later, he is a bit over 8 inches long and father, living happily in a 55 gallon tank :)

Oerba Fang!!!! you are Awesome!!!

washingtongoldfish

tom

YEARS ago I bought two 12 cent feeder goldfish. they did so poorly and they'd get better with meds in the water, then get sick again. i asked someone at the store why they kept getting sick, and she explained to me, "well they're not treated very well, they pack tons of them in garbage bags and ship them to us, and we aren't allowed to feed them because there are too many in the tank and it would pollute it more. they are subjected to too much ammonia in that shipping bag and they are probably getting more ammonia in that crowded tank. then of course after all of that we don't feed them. lots of people buy them for pets, but they never live more than a few weeks because of their poor treatment. they are really meant to be fed to bigger fish.

so after that I bought expensive medicated food, fed them that, they finally got better and stayed better and they lived for YEARS. About 10 or 12 years I'd guess. And they got nice and big and long, and one changed to mostly orange as she grew, hahah, imagine how surprised i was.

Of course there were hundreds in the feeder tank on that day that i picked them out, but I made them pick me out two beauties with colored lips and crazy body and fin colors which made them so beautiful.

i made people from my family look at them, and they thought they were neat because of their coloring too.

When I first brought them home, oh how they LOVED the big 30 gallon planted show tank that they were in, and they were so tiny when I brought them home - that the tank seemed so huge.

they'd play in the bubbles and stream from the directional spout from the fluval canister. it was so adorable and it was so obvious that they were playing.

I loved them dearly and when one died i drove to my mom's to be consoled and i cried off and on for a few days ;(

I often think of them when I look at the expensive fish on the auctions.

I never loved any other fish as much as I loved them and they seemed so happy to be with me.

So this is just a note, dedicated to them, my two little 12 cent happy and beautiful babies. You are remembered. :heart:heart

Sand!!!

You are fantastic! .... All of my fish are "Feeder Fish" although I paid 23 cents apiece for them ... quite a few died after bringing them home to my ponds due to the warmer water etc .... after all they were being kept in refridgerated contitions with no food ..I now have 14 fish .... I started out with 12 .... 7 died ... so the rest have propagated and that is where I am now ... I take pleasure in the fact I rescued all of my fish from "Death row"!!!!

washingtongoldfish

tom

here's a link to my two babies ....http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g376/backyard11/

I can totally identify with your story! My favorite gf have been feeders too. I recently got 2 absolute beauties at pettysmart for 27 cents each but I've never seen them have such fab fish before. I just had to have them whether I had room or not. I will make it work--these fish just could not end up as something's dinner! I also have another feeder from there that I've had for about a year now and he is also quite lovely. I aways look over the feeder tanks when I go to get supplies or whatever. You just don't know what you can find. :)

Wow, so nice to read all of your comments about your "feeders". They really DO have personalities and they sure do have buddies that they like to swim with. I actually avoid those feeder tanks now, it makes me feel bad. I get that it's the circle of life, but does the circle have to have in it - hundreds of fish with no plants all eating each others dead bodies and stuff. um no, it doesn't. (fixing my skirt all prim like, humph! )

My goldfish hobby started with 3 common "feeder" goldfish back in July 2003. Happy to say that I still have those 3, going on 8 years. Beavis started out gray/green and is now a nice pale orange and white comet. He looks a bit beat up because he has always seemed to have trouble with finrot many times over the years but he always bounces back. Butthead was also gray/green and is now a lovely orange common. Ed is my largest common at probably close to 10 inches long. He started out as a little thin looking orange and white goldie and is now a very chunky, solid white common.

How cool is that! thanks for sharing :) I'm glad to hear they are still alive! It's so neat when they change colors, I love to hear what colors they were and then changed to. Especially when they start out grey green and turn SUCH a different color than they started with! hahahah. I had no idea, until that happened to my fish :)

When my roommate brought back a bunch of common goldfish rescued from a fundraising fair, I thought, "Oh god, they're all going to die and this is going to be horrible." Well, now all but two of them are living in a beautiful pond/art installation, and the two remaining ones are in my tank (soon to be upgraded!). Commons really have the life-force, and it's so hard not to love them.

To Newmom, ya that is so true! heehee, glad to hear they are all doing great!

my 2 commons are such goofy little things! I swear sometimes they are cuddling.

to washingtongoldfish, I just now saw the link to your goldfish photos, how COOL!! they are such big guys :) that's what I call "fish" hahah.

what is the building in the yard a pump-house?

Edited by Sand

It's true, they do ship them in big bags. The ones at my work are pond raised. We dump them into a 5gal bucket, then net them out and dump them in the display tank.

And they DO get fed, I do that myself. I also pull out the dead ones, which sadly, there's usually many. I tried pulling out sick ones and I got yelled at because "They're feeder fish, we don't treat sick feeder fish"

yes i'm sure each store is different in that some probably get fed like where you work, and some don't ;(

I think I remember seeing those vacation feeder blocks in the feeder tanks at my LFS.

And as sad as it is, I can understand that a store won't treat a sick feeder when its survival grants the store only up to a Quarter if the fish gets sold. You know, from the view of a business. Still sad though.

Wouldn't it make more sense to lightly feed them?. I mean even if they get fed to another fish, that would make them more nutritious.

I just have common goldfish at the moment. I'm a newbie to fishkeeping so I've decided not to get any fancy fishes until I become more experienced, since many fancy fishes are more difficult to keep. (Except maybe Sarosas, which have exactly the same body shape as commons, just with coloured patterns on their scales)

On 2nd thought: is it really true that common goldfish are easier to keep though, given that many of them are actually "feeder fish" that never developed a good immune system due to relatively poor conditions in the pet shop etc?

Wouldn't one expect a fancy goldfish to be better in this sense?

Maybe the most durable goldfish are breeds like Sarosas, who have the body shape of common goldfish, so won't suffer with swim bladder disorder so easily etc, but also have better immune systems than most common goldfish since they are more expensive and are therefore kept with more care by the pet shop?

In my nearest local pet shop, the commons are usually kept inside a large tank (maybe 40 - 50 gallons at least), but there are probably nearly 100 of them in there. On the other hand, Sarosas are kept with only a few individuals together inside a well-filtered and clean smaller tank. (The fish-to-water-volume ration would be much smaller for the Sarosas, they are probably fed better quality food too, and get more light)

Edited by Iseul