Can These Fish Breed?

Guest JadedDragon

Guest JadedDragon

My calico fantail has been chasing my black moor, and nipping its fins. I seperated them because my black moor is pretty blind and waddles, and had about 90% of its fin eaten away. Since they were seperated (about 1 1/2 months ago) its fin has grown back completely.

Anyway, I tried introducing them again to see if the calico had reformed, but it turned out he hadn't. So I went on youtube, and it turns out it is breeding time. Coming on here, I now see that the calico is male (with breeding stars) and my black moor must be female. They are both the same size.

I'm wondering if they breed, will the calico stop nipping at the moor? Will they even be able to breed, being of different species? I want them to be able to live together. :(

Thank you for any replies.

They sure are able to breed. The question is just if the fantail will leave the moor alone after that or not. Or if the moor even is about to lay eggs.

If you can, get a divider for the tank until the situation calms down :)

Guest JadedDragon

Would it be advisable to just let her get beat up, and they can breed, just to see? Her fins grew back in a few days last time, but I don't feel really comfortable giving her to the ravages of the calico.

I do have a divider now, and they sit on either side of it and stare at each other. They must be in love..

I'm not sure, I never had my fish go at each other that crazy. Well, sorta. I removed my own black moor who also is half blind and got her fins shredded, and keep her in a separate tank since. I have never seen eggs coming from her so I am also not sure if she was even READY to breed.

She got severely stressed out, and it is not unheard of a female fish dying from the stress caused by a needy male chasing her.