Little Critters In My Planted Tropical Tank

Inhabitants: 5 Neon Tetras, 1 Apple Snail

Tank Size: 10 gallons

Alrighty, so it's late at night and I'm studying as usual for my exam tomorrow. I finally decide to take a break from studying and relax by looking at my tropical tank that resides my room. I realized I hadn't fed my fish yet...so I approached my tank to feed them.

Then I notice these little white dots. Climbing on my tank walls. Inside my tank. PANIC!

I believe I have some type of critter(they look like bugs....)residing in my tank now. They're REALLY small in size...no larger than a millimeter in diameter. With the tank lights on...they appear transparent and white. However, when I turn the lights off, they contrast against the water...and they're dark in colour. When I took one out to contrast against a sheet of paper, it's definitely black. They appear to be attracted to the light as the ALL gather on the side of the tank where the lighting is. They seem to "swim" in the water, some are crawling in the gravel, and most are scaling the tank walls. Could they be Apple Snail babies? I hadn't noticed any egg clutches...so I assumed that wasn't the case. I haven't bought added ANYTHING into the tank recently..so I'm not sure where they came from.

What are these guys? Where did they come from? Will they harm my fish?

Edited by waffles

I'm wondering if it might be planaria? I've never had it,but have read about it here.Are you familiar with it?

Just looked them up, I don't think its planaria, unless they're still in the initial stages of development. These guys appear...beetle/crustacean like. They also appear to have a little "hair" sticking out of them, a possible antennae maybe? :o

Edited by waffles

Hmm...it might be very be a possibility then! :o

I'll try to upload a few pictures of them if I can....

If I had to describe their movements..it appears that they're crawling. They also crawled all over my snail...and possibly into his shell.

P1020589.jpg

P1020590.jpg

P1020592.jpg

P1020593.jpg

P1020595.jpg

P1020596.jpg

Sorry! These were the best shots I could take! My camera couldn't focus well on them.

Edited by waffles

They're probably ostracods. I have them in my betta tank and a lot of people get them in their planted tanks. They're harmless little crustacean thingies. My betta eats them and I know at least one member here said he used to feed them carrots because they liked them. Personally I don't mind them but I know there are others here who can't stand them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostracod

They look kinda cute.

Oh gosh I hate unidentifiable squirmy things in my tanks! I sometimes get Planaria in my turtle tanks and it's GROSS!

The worst I've ever seen was a spider in the top part of the internal filter. I lifted of the hood and I saw it (I nearly touched it GROSS), I almost dropped the hood in the tank.

No unidentifiable squirmy things will ever have a chance in my tanks. My fishies will eat everything :blink:

Edited by Quasi

I'm glad that they're likely ostracods. Planaria sorta freak me out!

If they don't add to the bio-load considerably or are harmless...I'm fine with it. I think they're sort of cute.