I Want To Know If This Is Possible

Vee

I've recently seen some oranda on my local Craigslist for sale in their too small tank... And while I don't have the proper amount of room (I'm fully stocked with four goldies in a 55g) If I committed to the extra water changes would it be possible to add the trio into my tank?

My tank is barebottom, fully cycled, and I'd be sure to check the fish for diseases, etc. I'd probably get a big tub to qt them in and then see how that goes. If it's not possible I'd at least take them to the LFS I know of that at least keeps the water clean (though I know the tanks they keep them in while being sold are far to small, but no lfs is an aquarium, so you'll take what you can get, I guess.

True.. Got to think about pushing the limits... Oooh If only I had another unoccupied 50g..

Maybe I could just put them in a tub and convince my parents to get me another tank along the way.:lol2 Or just take them to the lfs. Which would probably be the best option.

I agree that it isn't a good idea. 7 goldies in a 55 would be pretty crowded. A tub is a good idea though, if you could find a 30 or 40 gallon one. It shouldn't be too hard to find, my QT tub is 26 gallons. That all depends on if you have the funds to basically set up another tank though. And I will tell you, coming from someone with 3 tanks, that taking care of multiples is much more work than you think it's going to be. Sometimes I feel like all I do is mess around with the fish.

Haha. I have two tanks now and my life is pretty much my fish, college and the occasional movie night. :rofl

Lol, yeah. I guess I actually have 4 since my QT tub is running right now as well with my RG fish. I go to school and work as well and it can be overwhelming to deal with 4 tanks at the end of the day. But, it's worth it.

• Admin

i have learned after all these years... Its much easier to take care of goldfish in an Under stocked tank than the max... everytime I pushed my tank limits I would have problems... Trust me dont do it :(

Yeah. I think it'd be a bit much. I could see if it were one goldy, or possibly a smaller/stunted one. If the person does contact me back I'll end up taking them to my LFS (I have to go there anyway this weekend, one of the platy I purchased is a chaser and the owner offered to exchange him.)

Good plan, as long as the LFS is good and will take care of them correctly! You are lucky you have a place to return fish to. My cichlid store takes trades, but is over an hour away!

The Lfs's tanks are small, but the water's clean and I'm sure they're fed good quality foods. At least I know they won't be forgotten in poisonous water.