Sign in to follow this  
Golden fishy

Cross Breeding

I was wondering if you would be able to crossbreed goldfish like maybe a ryukin and a oranda.

You can cross breed any species of goldfish with another. The outcome, however, depends on alot of things, and if you're looking for a certain trait, it might take a couple generations before you get it. and a ryukin and oranda really aren't so different, so chances are it would work well.

Here's a link to a man who wanted a "telescope eyed" pearlscale... and he made it work. http://www.goldfishartquatics.blogspot.com/

How many goldfish would you need to breed?

how many goldfish of each gender would you need to have? :thanks

You can cross breed any species of goldfish with another. The outcome, however, depends on alot of things, and if you're looking for a certain trait, it might take a couple generations before you get it. and a ryukin and oranda really aren't so different, so chances are it would work well.

Here's a link to a man who wanted a "telescope eyed" pearlscale... and he made it work. http://www.goldfishartquatics.blogspot.com/

OMG i LOVE those fish!! tooo adorable!

Edited by xchairity_casex

Do any of you guys know where you can buy goldfish that are good for breeding? :5:

Do any of you guys know where you can buy goldfish that are good for breeding? :5:

A good ratio is always 2:1. Two lucky studs to one lucky lady.

Fish reach sexual maturity at different ages, usually 6-8 months. You can easily tell with males, because they develop "breeding stars" in the form of little bumps on their pectoral fins and gill covers.

Just because a fish is OLD enough to reproduce, doesn't mean it should. The younger the fish, the less likely the success of the breeding, such as more deformities, lower fertility rates, etc. It seems best to wait until the fish is at least a year old before attempting to breed. Inducing spawing isn't hard, especially with indoor fish, as we can easily control all variables (feeding, water tempature and quality). Fish spawn when the water goes from cold to warm gradually (think spring thaw).

As far as goldfish that are "good for breeding", that depends on what you're looking for. Unless there's something you're looking to get in particular (like a ryukin with an oranda's wen cap, etc) I would just buy the fish from an LFS and raise them yourself, as breeding goldfish takes lots of time, effort, and dedication. If you're set on breeding, than look for fish that have the qualities you want. Look for parents with those qualities. There's lots of reading that can be done, just browse the breeding section, and be prepared to whip out the old punnett square to figure out genetics.

where can you buy goldfish that are good for breeding because the only place that has goldfish around here (croton on hudson) is vvvv that I'm not too sure about breeding from and pets choice which I would be happy breeding from but if there are any other places you know near Croton on Hudson or online I'd be happy to know!

where can you buy goldfish that are good for breeding because the only place that has goldfish around here (croton on hudson) is vvvv that I'm not too sure about breeding from and pets choice which I would be happy breeding from but if there are any other places you know near Croton on Hudson or online I'd be happy to know!

Have you considered asking your local petstore to special order some in for you? They do this at no extra charge, and it'd be cheaper and more convinent then you trying to order a fish online.