My Levels Won't Go Down!

Strange that your tap Ni is >0 but your tank Ni isn't. So either it evaporates or it's used up (but then where are the nitrates). Very weird :blink:.

I have not been using tap in the tank.

Oh sorry, my mistake. I'd forgotten about that :doh11:.

makes me wonder if i should to jumpstart the nitrItes!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Do a 30% water change with the tap water, lets see if this will get it going since it has Nitrites in it :) Good thinking since everything else is the same :)

Hi! I haven't been able to update lately (work has been crazy), but the levels have been the same the past few days until today.

pH: 7.2

Am: 1.0

nI: between 0 and .25

nA: 0

I'm afraid to do a water change because there's this little inkling of nitrItes in there... but I don't want the ammonia to hurt my fishies.

• Admin

But if we are using the tap water and it has it in there (nitrites) go ahead and do a water change to get the ammonia down to atleast .5 :)

• Admin

OK lets get the ammonia back down... at this point, if this tank was mine and acting like this, I would get some "cycle" from the LFS this will add some BB's dead or not will help put some in the tank, this sometimes gives the cycle a push :)

OK lets get the ammonia back down... at this point, if this tank was mine and acting like this, I would get some "cycle" from the LFS this will add some BB's dead or not will help put some in the tank, this sometimes gives the cycle a push :)

Yup! On koko's advice I got some Nutrafin cycle to add to my tank when I had a cycle bump out of nowhere. Things got back to normal after about 4 days.

Yup! On koko's advice I got some Nutrafin cycle to add to my tank when I had a cycle bump out of nowhere. Things got back to normal after about 4 days.

unfortunately I think that's what I have to do at this point!!!

• Admin

We will get it there :)

So if you can find some of that stuff... I would do a water change like 30% wipe everything down after the water change, then add your water conditioner then the cycle stuff.... Lets see if doing it that way will kick it into gear :)

We will get it there :)

So if you can find some of that stuff... I would do a water change like 30% wipe everything down after the water change, then add your water conditioner then the cycle stuff.... Lets see if doing it that way will kick it into gear :)

Sounds good. I'll order it online today so it shows up at my work Monday morning. :)

Just from personal experience. What i believe you have going on here is a case of the "chloromine blues". I have used RO water for years and if your local water uses chloromines you will have a issue with ammonia out of the RO. DI will not remove it either. What happens is chloromine is chlorine bonded with ammonia and when you carbon filter water with chloromines it breaks the bond removing the chlorine and leaving behind toxic ammonia! The only way i have found to remove chloromines is through the use of catalatic carbon. The problem with that is it needs a 2 minute contact time to actually absorb the remaining ammonia so you must flow the water though it really slow. The reason i found out about this was not the way to find it out. My best friend and I were at his house and were doing water changes on his discus. We put prime in 4 of the 5 tanks we did water changes on and let the tanks fill with RO while we went to get a 6 pack and some smokes. When we came back 5 nice breeders were laying on the bottom motionless in the tank we didn't put prime in! We immediatly put prime in their tank and within 30 min all were swimming around fine. When we tested the water it had 1ppm ammonia in it. We tested the tap and 0. Talk about confusing! Next we tested a tank with prime in it 1ppm, but the fish were fine. Prime will detoxify ammonia but most test kits will still pick it up. Unless you have a kit that will test for both free and total ammonia. Most kits only test for total. I know Seachems will test for both API kits will not. After much reseach we discovered my buddy had a case of the "chloromine blues". I learned 2 things from this

1. Chloromines and RO machines do not mix

2. Prime is a gift from God.

Edited by Patti

Just from personal experience. What i believe you have going on here is a case of the "chloromine blues". I have used RO water for years and if your local water uses chloromines you will have a issue with ammonia out of the RO. DI will not remove it either. What happens is chloromine is chlorine bonded with ammonia and when you carbon filter water with chloromines it breaks the bond removing the chlorine and leaving behind toxic ammonia! The only way i have found to remove chloromines is through the use of catalatic carbon. The problem with that is it needs a 2 minute contact time to actually absorb the remaining ammonia so you must flow the water though it really slow. The reason i found out about this was not the way to find it out. My best friend and I were at his house and were doing water changes on his discus. We put prime in 4 of the 5 tanks we did water changes on and let the tanks fill with RO while we went to get a 6 pack and some smokes. When we came back 5 nice breeders were laying on the bottom motionless in the tank we didn't put prime in! We immediatly put prime in their tank and within 30 min all were swimming around fine. When we tested the water it had 1ppm ammonia in it. We tested the tap and 0. Talk about confusing! Next we tested a tank with prime in it 1ppm, but the fish were fine. Prime will detoxify ammonia but most test kits will still pick it up. Unless you have a kit that will test for both free and total ammonia. Most kits only test for total. I know Seachems will test for both API kits will not. After much reseach we discovered my buddy had a case of the "chloromine blues". I learned 2 things from this

Sorry, I don't know what "RO" or "DI" mean.

OK, Ammonia is 1.0 today. Still no nI or nA. About to do the 3rd and final dose of Cycle.

If what Patti says above is correct, should I not be overly concerned with the Ammonia reading? If so, I'm still concerned that I don't have any nitrAtes at all.

• Admin

See I would beleave this but in your case there isnt any nitrates... Something just istn kicking in....

Ok so we havent gravel siphoned? and we are doing the water change first, then wipe down the tank, then add the prime in and then they cycle right?

If so it may take 2-3 days before we see something.... in the nitrates :)

See I would beleave this but in your case there isnt any nitrates... Something just istn kicking in....

Ok so we havent gravel siphoned? and we are doing the water change first, then wipe down the tank, then add the prime in and then they cycle right?

If so it may take 2-3 days before we see something.... in the nitrates :)

No siphoning, just water changing. Yes, wiping, Priming, and Cycle-ing.

**Crossing Fingers**

Sorry, I don't know what "RO" or "DI" mean.

RO= reverse osmosis (culligan machine is and RO filter)

DI= deionization (added to RO filter to produce 0 tds)

Alot of the local reefers around here have had tank crashes recently do to chloromines leaching ammonia into the the water after filtering with their water systems. I can think of a least 3 people i know that have had it happen in the last 6 months. 2 of them were some of the baddest SPS reef tanks i have ever seen! $10,000+ mistakes that could have been solved with $11 worth of catalytic carbon.

Im not saying Im correct but it is a possiblilty. No nitrates means nothing to me. You are doing large frequent water change 0 nitrates is to be expected. Most test kits arent sensitive enough to pick up anything less than 5 ppm. I have had discus for 5 years now and have been working hard at breeding them the last 6 month and have only seen nitrates high enough to register once. I have never had ammonia either. Big water changes regularly like you are doing will result in you not seeing the nitrates you are looking for. If you wanted to get it over with what i do (I know some would disagree) go to a 50% a week change. Hit it with a double dose of prime every time to lock up the ammonia. Test daily and if ammonia hits 2 do a water change. You have to give it enough time for nitrates to show. A large daily water change will do nothing but remove the little bit of nitrates you have. Give it a few days and it will probably start to show. Same goes for the nitrites. Your test kit wont show the .1 ppm nitrite that "could" be there. Just throwing a few other options out there that have always worked well for me.

Edited by Patti

The problem is I leave the tank alone until the Ammonia reaches 2.0, then do a water change, but I still never see any nI or nA. This tank has been running for over 2 months now, so this is really frustrating.

I stopped using the RO water and started using the tap water, which has .25 nI to begin with, but they never stick around, nor does a cycle ever start.