My Levels Won't Go Down!

• Admin

Im sorry hun sometimes cycling can cause a fish to stress to hard.... :(

Brown algae in a since is good when your cycling... just wipe it off and let the filter suck it back up this will help the cycle... :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry hun sometimes cycling can cause a fish to stress to hard.... :(

he was my littlest guy... the one from my original post that my boyfriend surprised me with. he used to eat out of my fingers too! :(

Brown algae in a since is good when your cycling... just wipe it off and let the filter suck it back up this will help the cycle... :)

ok good. will do!

• Admin

Ok hun..... Do this for me....First do a 20% water change, dont do a gravel vac if you have gravel, wipe down the glass after the water change... Dont clean your filter unless its about to over flow.

This way all the we will get the ammonia down a bit but let the BB's and the algae help seed it more :)

Ok hun..... Do this for me....First do a 20% water change, dont do a gravel vac if you have gravel, wipe down the glass after the water change... Dont clean your filter unless its about to over flow.

This way all the we will get the ammonia down a bit but let the BB's and the algae help seed it more :)

OK, did that. same readings as yesterday's. :(

• Admin

What do you use to treat the water with?

There is some stuff at the LFS you could get that sometimes helps kick the cycle in when its this close or is in a bump. Its called "cycle" from NutraFin :) This might help boost it if we cant get it to move in the next few days :)

http://www.petco.com/product/13403/NutraFin-Cycle-Biological-Aquarium-Supplement.aspx

What do you use to treat the water with?

There is some stuff at the LFS you could get that sometimes helps kick the cycle in when its this close or is in a bump. Its called "cycle" from NutraFin :) This might help boost it if we cant get it to move in the next few days :)

http://www.mmm.com/product/13403/NutraFin-Cycle-Biological-Aquarium-Supplement.aspx

I was using Kordon's water conditioner but I haven't during these last 2 water changes. I have Prime on order but it hasn't come in yet.

If you have chlorine and/or chloramines in your tap water, you need to use a water conditioner to remove them. So, if you are talking about stopping a water conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramine, your fish will be at risk.

Usually when water conditoner is mentioned, that type is what I figure people are talking about. : ) The specific name leaves no guesswork.

No water change yet, but my Am is now at 1.0. :(

pH: 7.4

Am: 1.0

nI: 0

nA: 0

Koko, I don't have any of the water I usually get (from the fancy Culligan WM machine) for a water change... I'm going to test the tap water from here, but my kH/gH kit still hasn't come in and I'm afraid to use it without that. Advice?

Ok, this morning, levels were:

I did a 50% change, treated with Prime, and now the readings are:

pH: 7.2

Am: .50

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This is a great little start :) I would keep doing what we just did till the ammonia is 0 :)

everyday? or every other day? when i was doing daily WC, i never got any BB. (not like i have any now haha)

• Admin

No let the ammonia get close to 1.0 then do your water change, and remember dont clean the filter unless its over flowing and also wipe the brown algae :)

After the weekend, still no cycle. Ugh.

I'm at a loss here.

Should I use the tap water from here? The readings straight from the faucet are:

Am: 0

nI: .25

After the weekend, still no cycle. Ugh.

I'm at a loss here.

Should I use the tap water from here? The readings straight from the faucet are:

Am: 0

nI: .25

Strange that your tap Ni is >0 but your tank Ni isn't. So either it evaporates or it's used up (but then where are the nitrates). Very weird :blink:.

Strange that your tap Ni is >0 but your tank Ni isn't. So either it evaporates or it's used up (but then where are the nitrates). Very weird :blink:.

I have not been using tap in the tank.

I have not been using tap in the tank.

Oh sorry, my mistake. I'd forgotten about that :doh11:.