I Give Up

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I wish you the best of luck that everything will go better for you soon.

And I agree, I think the less fancy types are much more healthy and will last much longer. Anyway, :hug

I guess I'm more of the old time fish keeper then. I have some gravel, less than to begin with though, and lots of plants and plan to add more. I have the HoB filter with the carbon media that comes with it. I have read you don't need them but I have always kept any fish I have had with the carbon filters and had no water problems. I do the weekly water changes but don't take everything apart and scrub or anything. Just rinse the filters under the tank water as I'm draining it and maybe go over the sides with the algae scrubber a little, I leave some for the snails. I only feed twice a day and usually only the sinking pellets. Keep saying I'm going to get more varieties of food for them but haven't yet. They munch on the plants all day anyway so they are getting their greens naturally. I feel like they need a more natural environment to thrive and be happy, just my opinion here, I'm no expert.

When I first got Saffar and Bubbles I was so worried that they had parasites and stuff I needed to treat for but I took it VERY slowly. Saffar never did have ich when I thought he did because of one spot on his mouth. He was just fine. With my new little girl in qt I have done NOTHING so far and don't plan on it unless she really acts like she needs help. She is fine as well, clean water and not too much drama for her and she looks healthy as a horse. I keep the lights off a lot on her tank though just to keep the stress level down, there is plenty of natural light in the room though, did the same thing with Saffar and Bubbles. They do need time to adjust I believe that, but meds can wait till they have adjusted IMO. Too much at once can be a bad thing, just so much more stress which I believe is half the reason that they become ill when new to a tank. I do believe in qt, not that I am doing any medicating, but just to keep her stress level down and if there was a breakout of anything then only the one would have to be treated or at risk. The more we learn the better and communication with one another on here will only help us. I'm not sure that there is one and only one right way to keep goldfish but I'm going with something in the middle and hoping that it works.

Hey waterfaller... just want to see how you are doing today. Hope you are feeling better :).

That is really nice of you to ask, thank you. I am feeling better today. I will feel better if we get a few weeks under our belt without any more incidents.

Thanks everyone for your input, and concern.

I also feel better as I have been stressing about someone I could not get in touch with, who was finally able to reach me this morning. His power had been out for awhile, and I thought something had happened to him. He has been in the middle of some horrendous storms, which claimed 48 lives.:(

Sorry to hear this is going on :( I know how you feel .. Im pretty new to all of this and it's frustrating as a newbie.. I didnt QT because I was so excited to get Wisco a pal and she brought in flukes and then she got finrot and died :( well when she died then I had to continue treating Wisco for the horrible flukes she brought in plus he got a flexibacter spot which just healed up :( .. then my guppie just got popeye.. so.. fish owning for my first 2 mos of it has been.. horrible :( .. but I still really love watching Wisco every night :) He's so wonderful..

Hang in there! I know what you're going through! :angelstaf: - I did order a raingarden fish.. and I think it's neat to have the fish together.. but maybe you want to try to keep just one fish per tank for longer periods of time before combining?? With what happened to me I think I may keep Wisco and my raindgarden fish separate for good.. The raingarden fish will go into his QT tank for 6 mos.. atleast.. It's a little overkill but.. I have been dealing with fishtanks / water changes / and fish treatment for about 1.5 hours a day every day for the past 2 months.. it's getting tiring :thud.. I may wait about 6 mos and see how it goes.. still not sure.. It's just not worth the risk or stress that it causes us with not QT'ing .. :(..

I hope your feeling better :hug

Edited by Jadafish

So Sorry for all your Loss :( This Goldfish thing does have it's up and downs for sure...I myself have never been able to afford one of those fancy goldfish online and have gotten most of mine from our local chain store type pet shops :( It's hard to lose a beloved pet to begin with :( but to imagine the loss of a beloved pet at such a cost to boot :( I do hope you'll hang in there with us :) and that things start to get better for you :)

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss waterfaller :rip: It is so hard to lose a fish.

I too have to agree with the "over cleanliness" thing... A few years ago I tried to make my tank barebottom, thinking it would easier to clean, but the fish got sick. When they have gravel, plants, and a small water change every couple weeks they seem a lot healthier. I think the plants really help improve the water quality, like living in the middle of a forest instead of in a big city. I've never seen them healthier than with lots of plants and small water changes. (Uhh I hope I didn't just jinx myself now...)

I also wonder if fish from up-scale breeders tend to have more problems than those from pet stores, since all the fish you see at the pet store must be the strongest. After all, they have been put through the worst conditions and are still alive, like a natural selection of sorts?

I've been wondering about the bare bottom tank issue. I recently lost a killifish that was was in ideal housing so the troubleshooting began.

I have two nearly identical 20 gal tanks each housing a pair of killifish. I thought was it the plant mulm I removed from the filter?...Nope, the other tank has that too.

Maybe the temp getting too low when it gets cold out?..Nope, other tank has that too since they are right next to each other.

It suddenly came to me that it was the gravel, that's what the more successful killie tank has. So I'm going to put gravel in the other killie tank too. I don't know if that was a cause, but so far I haven't found another cause.

A lot of people are turning back to using gravel. I think that, provided it is kept aerated, it is a healthy and beneficial thing for an aquarium and its inhabitants.

but to imagine the loss of a beloved pet at such a cost to boot
I also wonder if fish from up-scale breeders tend to have more problems than those from pet stores, since all the fish you see at the pet store must be the strongest.

So true!!! I bought some fish from the Goldfish Connection auction a few years ago at different times.. They were expensive fish... I've lost 5 of them already and 3 others are very very sick and have had sooo many problems... Its weird thinknig about it now that you posted that, its true - my cheapy fish really are doing so much better than those fish...

]

I'm pretty sure the gravel holds bacteria for the tank cycle.

Everything in the tank holds bacteria.The plants, the stones, whatever is in it. I have four bags of Eheim media in the sump, which is equal to having gravel. ;)

Thanks everyone for you encouragement.:hug

Edited by waterfaller1

The gravel does hold some bacteria, but in a properly set-up tank, it's the filter media that really drives the cycle. This is why we use bio media - it has a huge amount of surface area for bacteria to colonize. Many of us keep bare-bottomed tanks (no gravel at all) with no issues at all in terms of cycling. Please read up on topics like this before posting advice :)

The gravel does hold some bacteria, but in a properly set-up tank, it's the filter media that really drives the cycle. This is why we use bio media - it has a huge amount of surface area for bacteria to colonize. Many of us keep bare-bottomed tanks (no gravel at all) with no issues at all in terms of cycling. Please read up on topics like this before posting advice :)

Good post. I should have said "better" than gravel, not equal to. The Eheim media has lots of surface area, spread out it would be yards of it...

So sorry to hear about your ongoing problems but looks like you might not give up after all?? :) If you get more new fish maybe just try the less expensive lfs type to see how it goes. The most I ever spent on any fish was about $6.99 I think for my lionhead. And to me that was too much! But she is adorable. :) And I have never medicated her with prazi or salt or anything and she is doing great. Had her a few months now with no probs. In fact I haven't medicated any of my last 4 gf--lionhead, fantail, comets and they are all looking fabulous. I know some people just give salt and prazi in qt as a routine measure but I don't think it's always neccessary. Of course cheaper fish don't always make it either and I have lost a number of gf in the past but at least it's more affordable to replace them. I did go without gf for awhile and concentrated on tropicals . But my fishy world just wasn't complete without goldies so I just buy feeders mostly. Only recently decided to buy a couple fancies. Anyway, hope your remaining fish do well! :exactly

I'm starting to think we keep our fish TOO well. Barebottom, clean, clean, clean. Trying to have everything perfect. And lately so many here have suffered loss after loss. Then we have those who have a 12 year old comet in a 10 gallon tank, 20% water change once/month, fed flakes their whole life, suddenly they are here because their fish is sick...after 12 years! Oh sure, some say, well that is the exception...well I'm not so sure, see there may be thousands upon thousands of those "exceptions"...we don't hear about them because people don't seek out forums until something goes wrong. ;) I'd rather enjoy a fish for 12 years, not stressing so much over a pristine tank...than suffer these losses...after 6 months, 2 years, whatever.

Not saying I'm letting the tank go, I'm still going to do weekly water changes, but not going to scrub every speck off the tank, I'm adding gravel (Boog is bored!)and filters will be cleaned a few times/year. I think like most animals, fish need to build immunity...and we make that impossible by Prazi without knowing if they truly need it, salt, without knowing if they truly need it, scrubbing everything lest there be a speck of bacteria...

And then if a speck of bacteria DOES get in...tragedy...the fish can't fight it! People suffer sudden devastating losses...some lose their whole collection...

My 2 cents. Just been on my mind lately...

Red,

I tend to agree with you .. why is it my fish can thrive outside in a Pond with just about every negative bacterial condition that we try to fight indoors ... I the temp may be a factor ... but maybe we are going overboard ...

tom

I wanted to give up today SO Bad.. I can't begin to tell you... I already had a few light strips fail on me and didnt really have the money to replace them.. Then last week both light strips on one of the 55 gallons failed within a few minutes of each other.. Not the bulbs, the whole strip.. So that was 5 total I need to replace.. Then this week two filters broke.. I already had previous issues with some of the fish but on top of the issues I already had one of my fish got very very sick. She doesn't look like she will make it and to make things extra fun the one fish that I can say has never given me ANY problems before, no sickness nothing.. well he decided he is going to stop eating. He just STOPPED. I looked around and just wanted to cry.....

I said earlier and I will say it again. I really learned the hard way that you need to do things in moderation. Collecting goldfish is fun, but NOT when things go wrong. And if I only had one tank with 2-3 fish this would all be soooo much more bearable!

Me, too...that is just too much bad luck in a too short a period of time. No wonder you are frustrated! Maybe it's time to hang some fung shui wind chimes or make an offering to the household gods or something...?

I wanted to give up today SO Bad.. I can't begin to tell you... I already had a few light strips fail on me and didnt really have the money to replace them.. Then last week both light strips on one of the 55 gallons failed within a few minutes of each other.. Not the bulbs, the whole strip.. So that was 5 total I need to replace.. Then this week two filters broke.. I already had previous issues with some of the fish but on top of the issues I already had one of my fish got very very sick. She doesn't look like she will make it and to make things extra fun the one fish that I can say has never given me ANY problems before, no sickness nothing.. well he decided he is going to stop eating. He just STOPPED. I looked around and just wanted to cry.....

I said earlier and I will say it again. I really learned the hard way that you need to do things in moderation. Collecting goldfish is fun, but NOT when things go wrong. And if I only had one tank with 2-3 fish this would all be soooo much more bearable!

Aww, sweetie...I'm sorry. I have an extra light strip if I could figure out how to get it too you. It is smaller, but it would at least get you by.