Sign in to follow this  
deadhead324

1 Goldfish For A 15 Gallon Tank

I just recently set up a 15 gallon tank that is currently in the process of a fishless cycle. My question is when it is done cycling, I would like to add a fancy goldfish, but I'm not sure if I will be able to. I know that goldfish are social fish and usually like more than one, but I have read that you can have 1 goldfish in a 15-20 gallon tank. I currently have the tank set up so that there is plenty of swimming room and I have an AC 30 filter on there (I can add another filter if needed). So would it be possible to put a fancy goldfish in this tank? And if so, which type of goldfish would be best? (For example, I know Orandas grow the largest, so I won't be getting 1 of those) Thanks!

I just recently set up a 15 gallon tank that is currently in the process of a fishless cycle. My question is when it is done cycling, I would like to add a fancy goldfish, but I'm not sure if I will be able to. I know that goldfish are social fish and usually like more than one, but I have read that you can have 1 goldfish in a 15-20 gallon tank. I currently have the tank set up so that there is plenty of swimming room and I have an AC 30 filter on there (I can add another filter if needed). So would it be possible to put a fancy goldfish in this tank? And if so, which type of goldfish would be best? (For example, I know Orandas grow the largest, so I won't be getting 1 of those) Thanks!

You can have one fancy goldfish in the 15 gallon, but no more. The Aquaclear 30 has a max output of 150gallons/hour, which puts you right at the recommended 10x filtration. You can try getting a ranchu. Those are super cute, and I believe won't grow quite as large as some other types of goldfish can get. Good luck!

I agree. Just one fancy in a 15 gallon tank but yes as long as you commit to weekly water changes and tank maintence then you should be fine putting a goldfish in there. As for them needed tankmates, I know a lot of people that say that its unfair to keep just one because goldies are very social. But that being said I have a few tanks that for different reasons there is just one fish and those fish seem to be happy as can be... One of my healthiest happiest fish is actually in a smaller tank by himself... If you wanted to get two, I would recommend a 29. Its a good size for 2 goldies!

It hasn't been mentioned, but I would avoid "single tailed" goldfish, like comets, shubunkins, or koi. These fish can grow to immense proportions and do best in outdoor settings.

I'd suggest a ranchu as well (<--favorite fishies) Deep bodied fish like ryukins or demekins are good choices too. I'd avoid Oranda, as I've always had mine get HUGE, but it's your call.

Good luck! And remember it's mandatory for you to show off your new setup with LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES!!!!

hi deadhead324,

I think you're able to keep oranda. why avoiding him? oranda is quite nice, but it would be better if the water level minimum of 15". shallow water wont give him good dorsal development. :)

according to your tank, you can keep any kind of gf, but aware on fish number. if you want good environment for growing, you should just keep one. if you want to keep them just OK, 2 will be fine. 3 are too much. water will get dirty very fast :)

i hope it will help you :)

You should only be keeping one in there. Good Goldfish for that tank are ryukin, oranda, telescope, fantail, lionhead and a ranchu but remember that you can only have one those until you upgrade to a bigger tank. :mytank1:

There was a recent poll that showed that many Koko's members have only one fish. They seem to be just fine alone. The trade of on water quality for having 2 fish in a too small tank, wouldn't be worth having a companion, imho.

Good luck!

Oh! there's a fish belonging to someone on here named Jerry Garcia, thought you might appreciate that.

Here's the link to the poll about fish and tank size: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/90905-its-all-about-size/page__st__20

Edited by mjbubbles

Welcome to koko's :D.

Seems like you've getting some excellent advice :). About the social aspect, it's true that goldfish like company, but by no means is it essential in order for them to have a happy life; good water quality (and, as a result, good health) is far more important in that respect.

And do mind what Okori said: pics are mandatory! :rolleyes::D;)

I think healthwise it's a totally great idea to have just one fish per tank :) I'm going to keep my 2 orandas separate for atleast 6 mos. maybe fore good.. not sure :) I think it's a healthier route .. but that's just me :) Until you know for sure.. it's odviously good to QT :) and I concur.. only 1 fish in that tank since it's only 15 gallons :) then once it's cycled maybe you could upgrade if you wish someday :)

Edited by Jadafish

Thank you all for the great advice and sorry for the late reply. In that case, I will definitely be getting a goldfish as soon as my cycle is complete! And I will be sure to put up some pics as soon as I get him/her! Thank you so much for all the help!

There was a recent poll that showed that many Koko's members have only one fish. They seem to be just fine alone. The trade of on water quality for having 2 fish in a too small tank, wouldn't be worth having a companion, imho.

Good luck!

Oh! there's a fish belonging to someone on here named Jerry Garcia, thought you might appreciate that.

Here's the link to the poll about fish and tank size: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/90905-its-all-about-size/page__st__20

I have to admit, that did make me chuckle :)

Fishwise, I would recommend a normal fantail (theyre my favourites!) because they are probably the hardiest type of fancy, as they dont have deformities bred into them like head growths in orandas, or eye deformities like in telescope or celestial fish. Just my opinion there :) :)

and before I forget, WELCOME TO KOKO'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :D :D

My Billy has only recently been in his 36 gallon, spending 18 months of his life in a 5 gallon-sometimes going months without water changes-I was terrible, but now I know the ideal conditions they need, I persuaded my parents to get me 36 gal for my birthday!!

Yup yup. Not only do we have Jerry but also Bob Weir :)