Dying Fish

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? Not too sure water kit didn't test for that.

[*]Nitrite Level? Considered to be save level

[*]Nitrate level? " "

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? safe

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature? 74

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 3 gallons for 2 days

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? It's a Fancy Tail not sure what type though

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week 25%

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? 2 days ago

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 Fish

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Tap Water Conditioner

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Aqueon Goldfish Flakes

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? when in larger tank we added stress coat, and 1 tablet over 2 days of fish antibotics the pet store gave to us.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fish losing color and black on the top of the dorsal fin and head

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Not eating and hanging lower in tank, but not at the bottom.

Okay so my fish epic story is a bit long and strange. I'll try my best to break it down in chronological order.

End of December 3 Gallon tank purchased and 2 days later 2 Fancytail goldfish were added, after of course adding in water conditioner.

Specs on the Tank:

3 gallon, with a bubble filter tube.

1 inch of stones

1 bamboo, and 3 floating spindly plants

1 small column for decoration

1 heater set to 76 degrees F

We were told a whole lot of things by A LOT of people at 3 0r 4 different pet stores. We realized by the end they don't know much more then we do.

We bought the goldfish because they told us they could live in the small tank for a few months until we had to upgrade. They were two very happy Goldfish for 3 whole months. I should note one of them Clyde was a black bubblehead fish ( he turned orange very slowly over this time, and the other Joseph Fish was a beautiful Orange fish. They were so happy in this small tank that we decided to make them even happier by putting them into an appropriate 20 gallon tank.

That's where it all went down hill FAST.

We put a 20 gallon tank with a filter that filters 100 gallons per hour, 1 large bamboo plant, small gravel stones (maybe too many stones), and large colosseum for decoration. We let the tank run with the conditioner for 24 hrs. We put the fish into a plastic bag and had them float in the bag in the new tanks water temp, which was 2 degrees different 74 degrees. I should mention we tested the water and it was almost perfect. After 30 minutes of having the fish adjust to new water we put them into the water. within 2 days Clyde starting showing signs of trouble sitting at bottom of tank and not eating. Went to the pet store they said it was stress so they sold us a stress coat solution which clouded the tank right up. We went back the next day and bought a water clarifier, didn't do much. Clyde still not doing well so we went back to store and they gave us an "antibiotic" Tablet said put 1/2 in each morning... didn't seem to do anything.

Day 5... Clyde seems like he is pushing himself to the surface and swims for a few and then rests at bottom, seems he could be getting better

Day 6... Clyde has taken a turn for the worse he is on his side in the colosseum gasping for air

Day 7... Clydes Death.

After dealing with Clydes death and realizing poor thing had swim bladder, a bit too late we worry about Joseph fish. He now seems not to be himself, he is hovering in the corner not moving too much and staring at himself in the glass. He never seems to notice us anymore and shows little interest in food. We panic and set up old tank wait 24 hrs and add Joseph fish back into his original home. It would appear to us he was overwhelmed by the new tank and perhaps missed his buddy.

Water levels on test kit show near perfection

Day 1... Joseph fish seems to be more chipper and responsive in his old home. Perhaps back to his old self?

Days 2...We learn to add Freshwater Salt to tank in order to make him happy

Day 3... Hangs out at lower portion of tank and shows little interest in food.

Day 4 aka present time... Behavior continues

What is going on here?

• Supporter

welcome to kokos..

i am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your fish.. and that one passed on.. unfortunately the tank is way too small and your filter is not cycled.

to cycle a filter, can take upto 6 weeks or more..

each fancy goldfish requires 20 gallons of water and each additional, 10 gallons of water.. so for a correct set up for your two fish, you would have required 30 gallons.

are you able to provide minimum 10 gallons to this fish at the moment? it doesn't need to be a tank, a food safe container with a suitable filter is absolutely fine.

• Supporter

gold fish are messy.. they release many toxins into the water around the clock.. it is possible that ammonia/nitrate/nitrite levels were dangerously high which caused the fish to pass on..

you will need to by a test kit and test the water regularly.. preferably a drops test kit.. API or of similar accuracy..

we would like actual numbers for the water parameters.. please post for:

ammonia:

nitrAtes:

nitrItes:

ph:

near perfect, perfect, next to perfect is really quite shady.. we need the numbers so that we can determine the water quality

This sounds almost EXACTLY like what happened with my goldfish...

We had him living in a 1 gallon bowl for 3 years, decided to make him happier by "upgrading" to a 5 gallon tank, added some friends, and he almost died.

I think the most important thing right now is to make sure Joseph has clean water. As you don't have a proper test kit which doesn't show you actual numerical values, I can't really say what exactly is the problem. What I know for sure is that the fish has probably been heavily over-medicated and stressed. Also, I am guessing there is a dangerous amount of ammonia in his water--if this is the case, salt should not be used as it is harmful to the fish in the presence of ammonia.

Putting Joseph back into the 20 gallon with new, fresh water seems to be the best move here. It will dilute the ammonia, and to help keep him less stressed, leave the lights off. Try and get a test kit asap (API drops), and also make sure you get a filter for the tank which pushes 200 gallons per hour. I, and many here would recommend using Prime as water conditioner to remove chlorines and to detoxify any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate in the water. It's great stuff!

I would also read up on how to cycle a tank and get some information on the ammonia cycle. Things will start to make a lot more sense after doing this. You will find that it will be necessary to change his tank water daily (50%) during cycling depending on how the ammonia levels are, which should be tested twice a day or whenever he seems ill. I know this seems like a lot to take in right now, and a lot of work, but it is really worth it, and your fish will thank you for it!

I hope this helped for now! :D

Edited by Kailey

I am new at reading these strips so i read the breakdown of the levels. Here are the numbers

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Total Hardness 25

Total Chlorine 0

Total Alkalinity 40

pH 6.8

Okay, that is good that you can provide numerical values. Strips are very often inaccurate, and drops should definitely be used instead. While both nitrate and nitrite values appear to be "safe", it is the ammonia level which is probably giving your fish problems. Ammonia poisoning is what nearly killed my Bubba. Ammonia is converted into nitrites then nitrates in the aquarium, so it is normal to have nitrates in a well established aquarium. The fact that you don't have any probably means your tank is not cycled, so ammonia is able to build up to a toxic level in the water.

Edited by Kailey

• Supporter

ok.. so i read you currently a 20 gallon tank..this is great.. the ph is low for goldfish..it should be up from 7.4 to 8..

i would recommend setting the tank back up again.. you need to match the temperature and the PH and use the declorinator as advised on the bottle..

prime is recommended as it binds ammonia..

as the filter is not cycled, you will need to be changing minimum of 50% of the water.. to which the fish can stay in it's home during this.

do not add gravel or ornaments.. just keep it simple until health is restored.

a picture or short video of behavior would be great if you can manage it. and please, do not feed at the moment.. it's fine, a goldfish can go a week or more without food.

I have just discussed all of the wonderful advice to my boyfriend who's technically owns the tank. He doesn't want to put Joseph fish back into the 20 gallon. He has his "heart" set on purchasing completely new fish and keeping him in the 3 gallon. He refuses to listen to me about putting him in the 20 gal. Im not too sure what to do other then change 50% or the water from the 3 gallon, and hope he comes to his sense soon. Also the local fish store just closed... no prime or ammonia testing strips till tomorrow. :(

You can only do the best you can, and you are definitely on the right track! I hope things work out, because it really will be necessary for Joseph to have 20 gallons of water, minimum. Also, remember to get drops instead of strips... they actually end up being less expensive in the long run, and more accurate too! :)

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Thank you all for your help. I just got into a tense situation with the bf, but eventually got him to agree to put Joseph fish back into the 20 gallon. Now i want to make sure i get this correct before i do more damage.

No plants, gravel or decorations

Use current water conditioner let sit for 1 hr.

Tomorrow purchase prime condition and change water 50%

Buy testing drops

do not feed for a few days

If water temp is different because i am starting tank all over again how close does the temp have to be to 3 gallon tank before putting him back in?

I'd say 2 degree up or down should be fine. That's how close I try to get mine to match, but definitely not more. If you have a glass room thermometer you can clean it with vinegar and use it to check the temperature in the 3 gallon tank and to try to match the temperature of the 20 gallon tank :)

• Supporter

almost identical with the temperature.. if you have a thermometer.. that would be best. but judging by dipping with your finger should be fine. the ph is mostly important to match.. if you can pick up some PH buffer (must say buffer) to increase once in the main tank, that would be ideal.

when you handle the fish.. try not to use a net.. it damages slime coat which is really important for fish to keep. use a bowl to scoop him into and then transfer over to the main tank.. try to transfer as little water as possible from that bowl.

the fish has been moved a fair bit now.. keep him in a dark confinement by draping a towl over the top of the tank for the next few days and no food. but you must keep up with water changes daily in order for your filter to cycle.

• Supporter

Stakos: how large IS your tank, that's a whole lotta goldfish you got there? They are beautiful btw!

thanks hun... my goldfish hobby is one of the most beautiful, rewarding and fulfilling thing in my life.. my babies are in a 66 gallon tank and they really are wonderful.. i will soon be getting another of the same size or larger to expand..

if you're serious about your goldfish hobby.. well, you've come to the right place for help.. once your filter is cycled, there is very little maintenance.. 1 x weekly water change.. a few cleans here & there and the rest is a breeze..

goldfish thrive on a cycled filter, space, clean water & dechlorinator.. keep up that routine and you will find it as rewarding as i do.. you will also make a bunch of cool friends that you can't get enough of..

Wow very nice. Your fishes make me want to work on what i currently have, Goldfish are so different from one to another it's amazing.

I hope this little guy makes it. I put him in the 20 gallon 20 minutes ago... all's well so far. I think though he too might have swim bladder... i guess 1 cooked pea is the next step.

• Supporter

Wow very nice. Your fishes make me want to work on what i currently have, Goldfish are so different from one to another it's amazing.

I hope this little guy makes it. I put him in the 20 gallon 20 minutes ago... all's well so far. I think though he too might have swim bladder... i guess 1 cooked pea is the next step.

ok.. cook the one pea.. but only feed half of it.. make sure you pinch the skin of the pea so that it pops right out of it's jacket.. then i would just mash half of it between my fingers so it's real soft & feed. tomorrow morning.. you may feed the other half.. then just wait to see if there are any results..

are you able to upload a picture or video? you can use www.photobucket.com to upload pictures & videos.. it's free.. just upload and post the "direct link" here.

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc508/raqtateraid/?action=view&current=medium.mp4

I wasn't able to capture it, but when he gets close to the bubble stone he floats to the top with the bubbles then gets all loopy and does a few full body turns? When lights are off he doesn't seem to be very active.

ps. please ignore TV in background i forgot sound would be recorded too... whoops.

Edited by Raq1905

I should also say he saw him get caught int he filter we had to push him off and put a clear cylinder around the filter to prevent this. He keeps twirling and floating upside down, pretty much letting the water take him where the water wants to go... i feel the end is near... :(

Okay so i bought all the required testing drops and ammonia tablets and ph uppers. The tank reads healthy, however after my boyfriend added the ammonia tablets which i wasn't there when he did it. The tank foamed up the next morning. Joseph Fish seems to be spinning around not eating and acting like he can't see the food, perhaps blind? I believe he has ammonia burn on his head and tips of his fins. Not sure if has swim bladder or not?

The ammonia level is a bit strange to read i read it like it's somewhere between 0 and .25 so i'd say .10.

Ph. is is 7.7

Nitrite and Nitrate are at 0

He has a pretty intense case of blacken on his head and face and fins. He lost a patch of scales on one side doesn't seem to be eating too much, but he does seem to be swimming normally. I don't get it i changed the water 60% yesterday added prime and PH up and tested everything like 4 times. The tank's numbers read well but he looks like he's take a beaten.

Edited by Raq1905