Ammonia And Water Levels

When you top off, just add water/prime. However, you should check your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) daily. When ammonia dips below the level that you've put in there, add more. (I'm not sure if you are adding 2ppm or 4 ppm). Also, are you using the heater to help things along? It'll be faster at 78 :)

Doing the 4 ppm

Heater is about 80 (digital reads 77.5 and in regular reads 80).

Right now:

PH = 7.6

Ammonia = 4.0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 0 (but is a darker yellow with no orange tinge)

Edited by Maree

Doing the 4 ppm

Heater is about 80 (digital reads 77.5 and in regular reads 80).

Right now:

PH = 7.6

Ammonia = 4.0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 0 (but is a darker yellow with no orange tinge)

Perfect. You have everything setup perfectly. Wishing you a speedy cycle :)

Actually, I don't think there's any need for Prime in a fishless cycle. You will do a w/c before adding fish anyway and add it then, I think?

Actually, you DO need to add Prime in a fishless cycle. The chlorine/chloramines will kill off your beneficial bacteria.

Here you go:

http://www.nfkc.info/nfkconliine/What%20is%20the%20Nitrogen%20cycle.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Back again...

Today's reading(Day 12:

PH - 8.0

Ammonia - 1.0

Nitrite - Over 2.0

Nitrate - 5.0

Should I start feeding the ammonia since it dipped under the 4.0 or wait till it's 0? And am I waiting for a big Nitrate spike? I'm getting confused now by the chart because my readings are no longer following the sample pattern. :blink:

No two cycling tanks will follow the same exact pattern. You'll just have to follow the generalitities, which is that you'll get nitrites after around a week, then the nitrites will last for a very long time (seemingly forever), and then you start to get a little bit of nitrates, and then nitrites will disappear, but more slowly than compared to the overnight spike, and nitrates will continue to rise. Just let things stay as they are for another day or 2, and then if ammonia goes down and if the nitrites are ridiculously high, you can perhaps do a 50% WC, and add back ammonia to 1ppm. :)