Platy Breeding And Funny Poos...?

Vee

Okay, first the good news! A pair of my platy fish seem interested in breeding!|

:D

There's a second pair (unfortunately for the female of the two,) where the male seems WAY interested and the female CLEARLY isn't. He will only chase one female who is larger and swims faster than the male. Sometimes she'll catch a break and the male will stop chasing, but when she gets a break she bottomsits and looks like she's panting. She stops after a minute, but appears to try to be hiding in some plants (unsuccessfully).

I also noticed someone (I don't know who) laid a too that was in a ring and for the most part was brownish, but it had black dots in it. Should I be concerned? I can't take a picture of it, because it got moved... I've not heard of anything like this before..

Final question: what do blind cave Tetra and Pristella Tetra eggs look like? I know platy are live bearer...

I'm wondering if I should remove the male who is chasing the female platy. She seems to be very tired after being chased and has even butted into the plants and glass in attempts to get away from him.. If I move him where does he go? I only have a 5g reptile tank, which is not meant to hold water to the top.. :(

• 3 months later...

What size is the tank? Maybe you have some room for some more females? This might help where the male might not focus on just her. Stocking can be 2 males for every 6 females. You might end up with a pile of Platies though.

You mentioned you have plants? My Platies eat certain plants and I have ended up with all kinds of crazy poop. I stick to the leafy plants and that seems to work fine.

Although I don't have these fish anymore the tank was (at one time 50g) and had other assorted fish in it. Eventually I split them up into two 20gs with the appropriate stocking of males to females.

I ended up giving the fish to a man who was going to put them in something like a 90g. XD