Filter Cleaning

I usually don't touch the filter unless I can tell that there is a bunch of gunk. Then I dump the media into a bucket of tank water and swish it around to get the majority of the gunk out. Sometimes I scrub the insides of the filter media box if there is a lot of gunk stuck to the walls.

Miki typically cleans out the filter once per month (because it's necessary due to the accumulation of gunk), almost to the letter like how Fang described it above :).

• Supporter

i clean my external canister filters every 4-6 weeks..

on that day's water change, i save 2 buckets of tank water... i clean everything but the sponges first by just swooshing them around in their trays in the bucket and then swoosh them again in the second bucket.. then i clean the filter pads with the same method.. i scrub the inside & outside housing with clean water and squirt some prime in there before putting them all back together again..

Weekly I rinse out the filter and swish the media in tank water until all debris is gone, I also clean the intake tubes with a brush then as well. Monthly I take apart the filter and wash everything in the kitchen sink in warm water using a scrub pad and clean the propeller and its housing with a little brush.

I just clean the Fluval canister for the first time last weekend. I didn't clean the hoses this time, just rinsed the media in tank water. It has been running 2 months and wasn't that bad. I just dipped the baskets of media a few times, shaking them a bit. And rinsed the sponges really well.

I clean my filters every 2-3 weeks, but never both at the same time. Personally, I don't like to let it get to the point of seeing 'gunk' because I know by then there are a LOT of bacteria in there.

I dump the media into a bucket then rinse it with tank water as it is siphoned out of the tank. Then for the foam I squeeze it again and again until it looks like I have as much debris out of there as possible (that's by far the grossest part!). During every other cleaning I'll clean the filter itself using a sponge and brush that goes inside the tubing.

I clean my filters every 2-3 weeks, but never both at the same time.

Miki does each of the 3 filters once per month (one per week), so she has one week on reserve for when she doesn't have the time or can do the effort of cleaning one out :).

I have AC hang-on-back filters so i can easily see when it gets dirty. That's when I clean it.

I usually save some of the old media and set it in a bucket with some of the tank water. Then I clean/replace the rest of the media/sponge. I put everything back in the filter and let it run for a few minutes before returning the saved media.

I almost never have to clean the inside of the filter, just the media basket and the media/sponge

• Admin

I clean my filters in a certain matter :)

1. I will clean the HOB filter floss every water change if its over flowing.

2. I will only take out filter floss if its so dirty I cant get it out of the floss.

3. I will only clean the canister if its really dirty and will only clean it if the HOB is still going good.

Then once a year I will take the HOB off the tank and clean it all out but keep the filter floss dirty so it can build back the tanks BB's. Also for all the tubing I will clean it when need be :)

I haven't had to clean the HOBs yet. But I clean the canister hosing every 4-6 weeks since it gets dirty the quickest. That's really annoying since I don't have a brush long enough.

How does everyone clean the tubing of the canister filters? I don't need to do it yet but I can tell that it's going to have to be done sooner or later.

I rinse the HoB filters under the tank water when doing weekly water changes and change only one of them at a time if I think they need replacing. I haven't taken the filter system apart and really cleaned the whole thing yet since I put my goldfish in that tank roughly 3 months ago. I will do it though when it looks gunky inside. I have added a sponge filter to my tank recently but haven't seen any kind of stuff collecting on it yet at all, I think I need to remove it and see what the heck I did wrong. lol Who could mess up putting a sponge filter together and dropping it in a tank?!?! ME! hehe :D