Adding Tank Mates After Dropsy

jody

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with adding tank mates after the existing fish have had dropsy. My black moor needs a tank mate now that his buddy died. Both fish came down with dropsy around the middle of December and one soon died after. The other fish Peepers survived and had some bottom sitting and fungus issues which continued until about mid February. He is fine now. Do you think it is time for a friend or is it to soon? The new fish will be QT.

Do you know what caused the dropsy in the first place? If you got rid of the original cause, then I don't see a problem. I'd still keep a VERY close eye on the fish after adding it though :)

And if your fish keep getting sick and/or die, I would stop adding new ones because that would be just cruel :(

Good luck though, I hope everything turns out well for your and the fish! :)

I have never had 'contagious dropsy'. But whenever I had a fish with dropsy I would put him in QT and he would always get to go back with the others once he was healthy again. I usually just got the same fish sick over and over. It never seemed to get passed to the tank mates.

I would think you can try getting a buddy when Peepers has been healthy 2-3months :) They do seem much happier with friends

Well of course, dropsy is not contagious, but considering it is only a symptom I think there might be the possibility that whatever caused it might still be around. Bacteria or whatever, even if they don't affect Peepers anymore.

THEORETICALLY speaking :)

Kinda like the flu. Just because no one around is sick doesn't mean that the virus isn't there. :)

Then again I luckily never had to deal with this sort of thing before, so I don't know. rofl

Well I have heard of some breeders calling some dropsy 'contagious' tho. That's why I mentioned it. I just never have had more than 1 fish with it at once. However I have seen various people with more than 1 fish get it together.

Good to know. I think I get it now, the fish gets the bacterial infection(otherwise known as dropsy) because of a bacteria present. The bacteria still could be there so possibly the new fish could get sick.

I don't have a problem with fish dying and keep replacing them or anything like that. The only thing I could have figured the bacteria came from was the marbles that were in the tank for 2 years without being cleaned. They had green and brown algae all over them. I have since thrown out the marbles and the only tank decor I have is a Java Fern in pot. There is no soil or rocks in the pot, the plant just sits in it and is cleaned out with every wc. I can't think of anywhere else bacteria like that could come from. The filters are cleaned out and scrubbed with every wc. I have a small uv sterilizer and a heater in the tank as well.

Thanks guys :)

edit: I am getting so excited about getting a new guy. I don't want a telescope again but because of the food competing thing I might.

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

Well of course, dropsy is not contagious, but considering it is only a symptom I think there might be the possibility that whatever caused it might still be around. Bacteria or whatever, even if they don't affect Peepers anymore.

THEORETICALLY speaking :)

:exactly I am dealing with this exact issue. I lost 4 fish to dropsy in the past 9 months. Obviously, something is up in my tank and now it's being sterilized and no fish are being added for the next few months, just to be safe in case my remaining fish is carrying something. But if you think you know what caused the dropsy in your fish and you've removed the cause, then it could be safe. Just remember that bad bacteria, once established, can colonize anything in the tank - including your filters. I'm not trying to sound pessimistic, I just know that these things can sometimes persist :( As you said, you haven't lost multiple fish so it was likely just an isolated incident and you can get more fish :)

Good to know. I think I get it now, the fish gets the bacterial infection(otherwise known as dropsy) because of a bacteria present.

That's often the case, but not always. As Oerba said, dropsy is just a symptom. It happens when a fish is no longer able to control the fluid balance in his body, which is often the result of kidney failure. It can be cause by bacteria, tumors/cancer, a virus, or even severe parasite infection.

am dealing with this exact issue. I lost 4 fish to dropsy in the past 9 months. Obviously, something is up in my tank and now it's being sterilized and no fish are being added for the next few months, just to be safe in case my remaining fish is carrying something. But if you think you know what caused the dropsy in your fish and you've removed the cause, then it could be safe. Just remember that bad bacteria, once established, can colonize anything in the tank - including your filters. I'm not trying to sound pessimistic, I just know that these things can sometimes persist :( As you said, you haven't lost multiple fish so it was likely just an isolated incident and you can get more fish :)

:goodpost Chrissy!

Now I know its different for everyone, and of course it depends on the type of dropsy like everyone stated, but I wanted to share my personal experience regarding the "contagious" factor.. I bought 3 orandas at Petsmart... Chase, Voorhees and Spot.... Chase and Voorhees went into a tank at home home with three other fish after QT. Spot went into a tank at work with about 8 other fish... Since I got them both Chase and Voorhees have dropsied and Spot has had bad pop eye (which can be related to dropsy)....

In my case, so far the dropsy itself has not spread but its not as simple as that either.. Spot is home with me now with 3 of the other fish that were in the tank with him and those fish are unaffected. However in the OTHER tank, I have found that while the other fish have not dropsied, they ARE displaying issues such as floating/flipover and bad fin rot and all of these things seems to get worse just as the other fish dropsy.. So it appears that , whatever causes the dropsy in that tank has spread, and the other fish are just not responding to it the same way as the fish that dropsy....

So just keep an eye out.. Watch for things besides JUST dropsy because it may give you a clue that something is still not quite right.. But in your case, I think that so far its just been the one death and if the problems seem to be resolved, then why not try another fish if you really want to get one!!

I think clean water is really key.. Make sure you don't allow gunk to accumulate... Adding another fish obviously means adding more waste so just be sure to keeep an eye on your water parameters and keep the tank nice n clean.. I have had a fish that relapsed simply because I allowed gunk to accumulate on a filter pad and once that pad was cleaned, the pineconing went down!

Good luck getting a new fish and good luck with the other fish! Here's hoping to NO MORE DROPSY and happy healthy fish! :)

When your fish had dropsy did you treat the whole tank since both came down with dropsy? This sounds like a one-off case and the little fish is cured. I think it's safe to add a buddy. But to be on the safe side I would feed them anti bacterial/ anti parasitic food. I feed medicated food from time to time. I've managed to avoid dropsy since 2001 when i lost a beautiful 6 inch red oranda. knock on wood

Wow this is a lot of good information. Thank you guys for your detailed responses, this is what makes kokos such a great place :D

Celestial, that's a bubble eye isn't it? They look weird and I heard they are prone to eye issues. They seem like a pretty mellow fish which I like though.

I see that you guys have had experience with dropsy and it's "contagious factor". It kind of swings me more toward not adding another fish right now.

Peepers was affected differently than my other telescope when they both came down with it. My other telescope went fast in about 7-10 days, he pine-coned bad and went soon after. Peepers just bottom sat the whole time for 2 weeks at least and only pine-coned a little. I couldn't get the Metro Meds quick enough for the other guy. He died the day after I got them. They both were floaty and sinky if you know what I mean.

Since Peepers snapped out of his dropsy he has had fungus issues on the top of his head which I cured with salt. He also has a white opaque tail edge, I think someone described it as his tail column. It was getting better but now it seems to be coming back. So maybe whatever is causing it is still there.

He is really floaty, he spends half his day at the surface. I only feed once a day because if I fed twice a day he spends his whole day up there. I don't believe it is overfeeding as my feeding amount has not really changed in the past year, and they were fine before. I mean he gets his fair share of course. I vary the diet between gel food, pellets, frozen brine shrimp, and peas. I have tried fruits and veggies on their own ( I do use veggies in my gel food) and they go over quite well. I guess what I mean is his fluid control or organ or something has been permanently damaged from the dropsy.

I am nervous to add another guy but at the same time I hate to see him alone. I guess it is up to me if I think things are ready for another fish but I think it is great that you all shared your experiences with this. Do you all think with the issues that are going on now, it kind of shows it's to early?

I guess you could try with a UV sterilizer? Not sure if that would take care of everything.

Celestials are telescopes but that look up at the sky :) They also have no dorsal. They are super cute!

Since Peepers snapped out of his dropsy he has had fungus issues on the top of his head which I cured with salt. He also has a white opaque tail edge, I think someone described it as his tail column. It was getting better but now it seems to be coming back. So maybe whatever is causing it is still there.

He is really floaty, he spends half his day at the surface. I only feed once a day because if I fed twice a day he spends his whole day up there. I don't believe it is overfeeding as my feeding amount has not really changed in the past year, and they were fine before. I mean he gets his fair share of course. I vary the diet between gel food, pellets, frozen brine shrimp, and peas. I have tried fruits and veggies on their own ( I do use veggies in my gel food) and they go over quite well. I guess what I mean is his fluid control or organ or something has been permanently damaged from the dropsy.

Maybe I am overly cautious but that does make me a bit nervous.. Just because its so similar to how some of my fish act right before they relapse... It's so tricky isn't it? I wish it wasn't such a guessing game!

Personally, whether you stick with the one fish, or get another, I would suggest keeping fresh Metromeds on hand at all times.. That way you can start giving them at the very first sign of a problem... Just keep an eye out and check them every day and watch for any small changes... And it's best to make sure you have a hospital set up available at all times so that if one of the fish gets sick you can seperate them and that way you dont have to medicated a fish that doesnt need it..

When your fish had dropsy did you treat the whole tank since both came down with dropsy? This sounds like a one-off case and the little fish is cured. I think it's safe to add a buddy. But to be on the safe side I would feed them anti bacterial/ anti parasitic food. I feed medicated food from time to time. I've managed to avoid dropsy since 2001 when i lost a beautiful 6 inch red oranda. knock on wood

You know, I want to be totally honest on my opinion of this.... And I hope its not going to get me in trouble considering I am a mod... Generally I realize that most meds shouldnt be used as a preventative because its putting unncessessary stress on the fish... And generally you should only give meds to the sick fish, and not to an entire tank of fish unless every single fish is displaying issues. Which is why we all have our hospital tanks... But to tell the absolute truth, considering my mutliple problems with dropsy, there have definately been times when I have treated a whole tank and even used MM's as more of a precautionary thing like phishnet says... I am hardly recommending that it be done all the time, or at the first sign of any problem, but when you have had multiple problems and relapses like me, I do think sometimes it becomes neccessary to use it from time to time to prevent issues. For example, right now the fish began to get ultra floaty, have jagged fins/fin frays/fin rot, and basically started doing all the things they often do right before they get very sick or dropsy... I have learned that in THAT tank, I would rather start the MMs on all the fish BEFORE someone actually dropsies than to wait around... So I actually really support phishnets idea as long as you are experienced with goldies and are doing it wisely and not just throwing random meds at the fish... I've had a lot of experience with dropsy, but I have never lost a fish to it... So I personally am a very strong believer of Metromeds!!

Thanks Sue for your wonderful post. All things considered after reading what you have said I think I will do a round of MM. I opened the bag on December 20, 2010. So it's 4 months old. I have done two rounds of MM since the bag was opened. One right away when I opened it and another on Feb 1st. Both treatments were for 14 days. I am going to hold off until I get the go ahead that it is okay to use it and that it is still fresh enough to use. I am just not sure if I should use it again in case I am making bacteria resistant. I'll PM you Sue if I don't hear from you.

4 months is fine to use as long as you stored in in a cool dry place... Typically they are good for about 6 months from opening... As for whether or not you should give them, I think only you can decide because only you know your fish.. I know you've been a member here for quite some time. I know I've talked to you before so it's not like you are some newbie just randomly bombaring your fish with meds! LOL I feel like if you are seeing signs that problems could be returning and you want to be safe and do another course it's very valid... Especially if you are considering adding a tank mate... Might be best to be on the safe side... If it were me I would probably do another round, but at the same time I hate to recommend you do that and then it not work in the future. So confusing!

Let me know if you use them and if you see any changes after another course.. I began another course of MM last week and the improvements I am seeing are just amazing.. I went from 4 upside fish constantly floating at the time with badly frayed fins to 4 fish swimming around happily.. 3 of them you would never even know they had floaty issues and I can see them putting on weight and their poo is normal again.. Thank God for MM's!!!

LOL.. thank god for MM indeed! :)

I am glad to hear your MM treatment with your 4 fish is going well :D

I'll keep you updated on how things go with this round. Thank you so much for your help on this one ! :I-Thank-You: