How To Tell If Pristella Tetra's Are Eggbound?

Vee

I've been noticing some of my Pristella's have been seeming.. rounder. I'm pretty sure that they're both females (though I can't see their insides well enough to be 100%). I was just wondering if there was any way to tell if they're egg bound or just bloated.. It's easy to tell with Goldfish.. The other Pristellas seem to be so skinny.. Are the two big ones being food hogs?

I also got some Platy fish, and I've seen pictures of them pregnant. OH BOY do they get huge! :thud

Also, is there something specific I should be feeding? Normally I feed Omega One Sinking Pellets (made for Goldies, but they're more nutritious than flakes. If I should switch to something else, lemme know?)I also put in a few algae wafers for the shrimp and snails. (the snails seem to be doing a lot better in my tropical tank)

The other day I fed them some freeze dried blood worms (meant for bettas, but the Platy's seem to like them. Last night I fed them a few peas, and they seemed really excited about that.

I keep 3 different types of tetras (Neon, Black Neon & Black Phantom) and of these only the Black Phantoms can be sexed at just a glance due to the different colouring of fins in male and female. Pristella tetras be can be sexed if you are able to see the swim bladder, it will be shiny. In the females it is large and rounded at the back, the males is smaller and comes to a point. Females tend to look more silvery because of this. Females will be rounder than the males when viewed from above. If they are constipated brine shrimp or daphnia should clear the blockage :)

I feed my tropicals hikari micro pellets, fresh veggies, goldfish gel food which they love. Pro gold pellets which they like very much (i don't think i have ever seen one make it to the bottom of the tank). I also feed frozen bloodworn, brine shrimp and daphnia. I have algae pellets for my plec but the gouramis and tetras love these too.

Mine refuse to eat gel food. XD It sits in the tank until it gets stuck to the filter intakes.

I'm not quite able to see the tetras enough to determine the sex of them, they move just tooo much. :rofl

I have never had a Pristella that has looked bloated. Are you sure they are not just filling out and growing?

Mine love frozen blood worms. They usually get a combo of flakes and New Life Spectrum pellets as their staple. They also love any wafers I give the corys when they get at shot at them.

I've been able to determine that the larger two are indeed females. :) So maybe it is that they are filling out, and not bloated or something.

I've also noticed that a couple of the fish will separate themselves completely and play "tag" so maybe they've decided to become a breeding pair. :D

As for the rest of my Pristellas, for the most part three (out of the six) will sometimes school together, the two will run off and occasionally one of them swims by himself. They used to all school together when it was just them in the tank.. Are they uncomfortable now? I have only fish that are compatible in the tank (Pristellas, Blind Cave and Platy) along with five ghost shrimp and two snails.

The 2 that separate sound like they are indeed breeding, or at least going through the motions. I have a black phantom tetra male that hardly swims with the rest of them. He tends to do his own thing. He looks perfectly fine and goes into show off mode as soon as any of the females come near him though. In a tank with no natural predators the schooling isn't as important as it would be to a schooling fish in the wild. It leaves time to do other things like explore and establish territory if they are males. Unless your fish is showing signs of being stressed or illness i wouldn't worry too much. They will soon settle in to a routine. I would love to get some more shrimp for my tank but they would have to be big enough so that my large blue gourami wouldn't eat them. All the fish in my tank except my plec now come up the top left hand side when i go to feed them :)

Oh wow! I've heard that Pristellas are very picky, so I'm glad they found each other. :)

Well I'm glad to know it's not that they're sick, they all seem to do fine..

One of my platy likes to swim around the top and while she's not at bright as some of the others seems to be doing just fine, eating, zipping around and all that..

Picky as in, they choose specific pairs..

Sorry if I sound over-worried. It's my first tropical tank. :D

Hmmmmm... I have never noticed them being picky like that. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention. :rolleyes:

Pristellas are very hardy fish. They are so peaceful. And after work, I need peaceful. :wall

The one time they are pretty aggressive is when they try to get the wafers from the catfish. They can pick some of them up and swim around with them. It looks ridiculous. They fight the corys for them. Stalkers.

Haha :rofl

I haven't seen them be aggressive even over the wafers, but maybe that's because they can't pick the whole wafers up and the pieces they can pick up are broken and they run off with those.

I'm not sure if they're picky, that's just what I've heard from the two times I looked up Pristella Tetras and breeding.

I also wonder if I'm feeding too much or too little.. I pour maybe about 25 sinking pellets and soak them and the pristellas and platy go after them and the ones that they miss go to the blind cave tetras. What they miss the platy pick at or the shrimp and snails munch on. They seem to be okay, though..