Sign in to follow this  
Erica Stolte

Friend Of Mine Wants Goldfish.

Too bad it's for the wrong reasons.

She's also upset that I haven't been over helping her setup this tank so doesn't seem to want my advice much now. I admit I haven't really been available much for visiting so I do feel guilty about this part. But this is still no reason to start a setup that is doomed to fail in a 30 gal tank.

She wants goldfish because "goldfish don't need filters" and doesn't want tropical fish because she wants easier fish.

When I mentioned the goldfish forums such as this one, she doesn't want to get "too involved".

I thought maybe this might work if there are going to be two fancy goldfish, until she mentioned getting several goldfish for this tank.

Trying to talk my friend out of this plan. I tried to explain the basic theory that goldfish are not exactly easier then tropicals.

I have gotten the impression that she shares the myth of some other people that goldfish are the most basic and easily cared for fish.

Problem seems to be besides being upset at me for not going over to her place to help set the tank up is that she seems to think by recommending tropical fish, I am trying to push a more complicated setup on her then she wants.

Like a person who wants to buy a basic model of something having a sale person push the deluxe model on them.

She doesn't seem to realize that I am totally OK with someone who doesn't want to get involved much with fish-keeping and wants a basic easy setup.

I decided that zebra danios would be a good match until she mentioned no filter, then I said gouramis.

I wonder if paradise fish would be a good basic easy fish, but I was afraid to suggest them not knowing how much room a group of them needs.

............ :no:

I donno what to tell ya. :read

Tell her to get a betta. =/

Edited by Rai

It is possible to do a filterless tank if it is densely planted and it is very lightly stocked... After all, plants consume ammonia/nitrate just as bacteria do. It might be possible with some very easy to grow plants such as anacharis and vallisneria under a suitable light.

Thing is, it's high-maintenance project for the first few weeks at least. Maybe you could tell her that without a filter, the maintenance will be even higher?

I was thinking bettas, too. She could get several females if she wants more than just one fish for a 30 gal. Although a male betta would be very happy with all that room to himself! Females need to have a densely planted tank also but silk plants could be used so to have easier maintenance.

should have a pond if she doesnt want to use filter. use 1000 gal pond and will be easy to care. routine water change every 3 month :)

oh i forgot.. just keep 2 goldfish in it :)

Edited by S4m

I don't get it. Why would someone not want a filter in their tank? Not having a filter makes everything so much more complicated for her.

tell her to get a whole bunch of little plastic fish.

Any fish (betta's included) require work... and upkeep.

If she can't be bothered to look up information about the basic care of her 'planned' fish, and if she's setting this up more are revenge... I feel bad for the future fish.

If she's very set on getting goldfish invite her over to help you clean your tank to allow her to get a feel of what she's getting into. Just make sure it's on a day where the fish are especially messy. ;)

If not, I say go the "ASPCA" commercial route. Show her pictures of unhappy goldfish in too-small conditions, ones that will really make her feel sad, like those darn puppies and kittens on the commercial. Sarah McLaughlin music optional. :rofl