Sign in to follow this  
ashv20

Going Insane Here

SO I started my first day of clinical placement at a hospital.

I noticed at reception they have a <1 gallon bowl, with a goldfish in it...

He was gasping at the surface all dayyyy, I nearly cried.

What would you guys do in this situation, I'm gonna tell them that he's dying when I go in tomorrow and offer to take him home to a proper tank...if they don't let me I think I'll have to euthanise him secretly..

It's just stressing me so much...

He'd be going home with me. No euthanization thoughts at all.

Unless you want to try to convince them to get the right setup and take care of him, which would be doubtful I suspect.

Oh man, that is sad.

Yeah, try to calmly explain to them that this fish is dying like this because the bowl is too small and has not filtration. Hopefully they let you take him!

I hope so! I don't have a 10 gallon spare but I'm sure he'd be a lot better in my 5 gallon with filtration than thw bowl for QT if i get him home.

I know the girl at reception from highschool so hopefully that helps.

Wish me luck!

He's also a baby ranchu!

perhaps suggest to them that a dying goldfish is not a good first impression for a hospital to be making on its patients!! :doh11:

perhaps suggest to them that a dying goldfish is not a good first impression for a hospital to be making on its patients!! :doh11:

That is actually a fantastic idea! Like "can't even keep a goldfish healthy / alive - how do they take care of people?"

5 gallons with filtration sure is better or you could also get a larger rubbermaid or sterilite tub

That is actually a fantastic idea! Like "can't even keep a goldfish healthy / alive - how do they take care of people?"

5 gallons with filtration sure is better or you could also get a larger rubbermaid or sterilite tub

Well they think he's healthy that or they just arn't paying attention.

The reception has put a labled sticker on it, 'Larry' happy as a larry...

show them koko's.. they might open up a west wing for mistreated goldfish lol..

That's what I was thinking. Good point!

Well I went in today and they had a different receptionist, who was like; oh larry what's wrong this morning?

I said; Larry is dying because goldfish do not belong in bowls. I offered to take him home, but they ignored me, one of the EEN's said she would put him in her tank for the night...I doubt it though. They completely ignored all I said. One of the RN's said, shouldn't you at least change the water once a week?

She proceeded to say that he had been in the bowl for 2 years, he has been through fin rot and survived. I lied and told her i bred goldfish, so an hour later they asked for help because he looked bloated..i told them to try de-shelled peas.

The Lady went out and bought melafix from the store...

Anyway, any attempt to explain that he will die in a bowl was disgarded because he had survived two years...

I give up, they are all stupid, I can't steal him or kill him, beccause there is a chance i'll get kicked off placement.

I could call the RSPCA but I doubt they would do anything...

Edited by gretasophical

Man, that sucks. People are so ignorant. Especially when it comes to goldfish, and when you try to educate them, they look at you like you are stupid and crazy.

I wonder if you can at least get them to upgrade his bowl. You said it is less than a gallon, right? I know this still would be FAR from the optimum, but many LFS sell those little rectangular 2.5 gallon show tanks. That would at least almost triple the room he got now, and this show tank costs only like 12 bucks. Maybe with a java fern tied to a rock in it too to "make it look prettier and more appealing to the patients of the clinic"

I would just take him or he would just disappear one day. But, I am more of a jerk and you just started a a clinical placement.

It is ironic that he is suffering in a hospital setting.

It seems like a lot of businesses like to have a tank of some sort of fish. Makes a nice decoration untill you have to take care of it. When I think back, my vet's office had one...it just kind of disappeared . And I hadn't thought about it until this post.

Well I went in today and they had a different receptionist, who was like; oh larry what's wrong this morning?

I said; Larry is dying because goldfish do not belong in bowls. I offered to take him home, but they ignored me, one of the EEN's said she would put him in her tank for the night...I doubt it though. They completely ignored all I said. One of the RN's said, shouldn't you at least change the water once a week?

She proceeded to say that he had been in the bowl for 2 years, he has been through fin rot and survived. I lied and told her i bred goldfish, so an hour later they asked for help because he looked bloated..i told them to try de-shelled peas.

The Lady went out and bought melafix from the store...

Anyway, any attempt to explain that he will die in a bowl was disgarded because he had survived two years...

I give up, they are all stupid, I can't steal him or kill him, beccause there is a chance i'll get kicked off placement.

I could call the RSPCA but I doubt they would do anything...

hun,, they might, but if they do.. they'll know it stemmed from you and you may still get kicked off the placement. sometimes, no matter how much we want to, we can't change anything.. i have a neighbour who went through this phase for her children.. i am so ashamed to say how many goldfish died in her care before i finally convinced her (years later) that the hobby was not for them.. irrespective of how many coffee's she had at my house staring at my 66 gallon... it took a long time to have her realize she was wrong.

Poor fishie. :( You would think a hospital would take better care of a living creature or at least learn HOW to take care of him. Sounds like he is stunted badly already after 2 years in the little bowl. I wish for the sake of the little guy that they would just look up online how to care for goldfish, that would fix your problem quickly. Maybe tell them just to do a quick search and I know they will see all the sites that say goldfish should NOT be kept in bowls. When people don't even attempt to listen to what you have to say, thinking they know best, it can be very frustrating. Its a shame that you have to worry about loosing your placement there, to try to help the fish because of ignorant people.

Did you mention that this fish should be much larger? You could take a few pics in of normal sized ranchu and let them see the harm they have done to him already. I'm just trying to find something that she may LOOK at if she won't listen.

What a shame :( Maybe you could leave a printed care sheet next to his bowl addressed to him ;) or maybe there is a superviser you can talk to??

Since they asked you for yor advice, maybe, if you have or can can get your hands on a cheap 10G with filter, you could just brightly deliver it as something "they can use that might help." Not saying that you should spend money if it is tight--just one thought on how to handle that might make you feel better... Realize I do not know the dynamics there and the personalities and all, though...

this sounds just awful :(

I tried to educate a co-worker on her goldfish in a bowl situation. I told her exactly why he kept trying to jump out of the bowl. She just laughed and said she found a lid for it.

I think its crazy the uproar it would cause if the hospital staff were keeping a kitten or puppy in a similar situation but since its a fish no one cares.

If you offered would they let you atleast buy a cheap 2.5 - 5 gallon tank - Is there a plug in nearby so he could atleast have a bubbler and small filter with the small tank you could buy him?? :( they are pretty cheap and atleast the poor thing would have some filtration :thud -

As to the "he's been in there 2 years and was fine" its like saying "I've been smoking for 30 years and was fine. My current lung condition could not have been caused by something that I had no problems from for so long."

Perhaps you could explain that such long term unhealthy conditions have taken their toll?

He was actually looking much better this morning.

This is all great ideas guys but it's just too busy now for me to try and explain, I'm in theature most days and dont go near reception until the end of the day.

I know its selfish of me but i can't continue stressing about it, the other day was the final straw, when you have 6.30am starts and 10 hour days you cant afford to worry.

I will offer help when they ask.

If he dies, and they get another, i will call the rspca to make a complaint and scare them.

aww thats way too sad :(

i guess a good thing to do might be to show them information from a more "trusted" source...... i work at pet*smart, and we have care guides about a bunch of different types of fish. The fancy goldfish care guide at least has SOME accurate information. i don't know if you have any pet*smart's in your area, but if you do, i would go pick up one of those guides and give it them. it has the store name on it and everything, so they might think "oh, well thats what the experts are saying, maybe they're right..."

i don't know... otherwise, try to find an inexpensive tank and filter and give it to them.

or cram a dog into a hamster cage and say "oh no, he's fine, he's been in there all his life!" (kidding, obviously....)