Really Worried - Dropsy?

bluebird

Okay. Done a 50% water change, taken out 1/4 of the gravel and have cleaned out the entire filter i.e. taken everything out and swished it around in old tank water. I am so so stressed and worrying so much about whether I'm actually making things worse when trying to make things better. I just want it to be over, and for Rusty to be okay :(. I feel so out of my depth.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for my mini melt down up there ^^" just so, so worried after seeing Lily progress from healthy to nothing this way too.

Rusty is doing well. His scales are still raised :( but he's very active and is eating.

I'm wondering whether the pH buffer could be reacting adversely with anything? that's something new that I only put in two days ago.

Thanks again for all your advice and support.

Sorry for my mini melt down up there ^^" just so, so worried after seeing Lily progress from healthy to nothing this way too.

Rusty is doing well. His scales are still raised :( but he's very active and is eating.

I'm wondering whether the pH buffer could be reacting adversely with anything? that's something new that I only put in two days ago.

Thanks again for all your advice and support.

Are the raised scales the same or worse than yesterday? What is your pH reading now? It's only been a few days on metro; hopefully the raised scales will go down soon!

Thanks so much for checking in despite what you're going through, I really admire and appreciate that.

Temperature is 77F and pH is 7.2. I don't know why it's fluctuating so much =/. I put pH buffer in yesterday and there's crushed coral in the filter.

Picture of his scales (from last night but he's pretty much the same):

DSC_0143.jpg

Part of me wants to say they're like last time but, really, they look worse.

He isn't too too bloated tho.

Okay the buffer, what exactly is it? Do you have a name or something? What is your tap pH reading?

He is so far having temp, epson and metro bath right?

As long as he is eating it is a very good sign :)

Thanks for checking in :)

The buffer is 'API proper pH 7.5'. Checked pH again and the tank pH is now 7.4-7.6 again :undecided: . Tap is 7.2 (which is also weird as it's been 6.8 before). There's no red plastic lock on the pH solution bottle so maybe it's not as accurate as I hoped?

He's having metro, epsom, heat yes. Could the bacteria (if it's bacteria caused) have become resistant?

I have never used pH buffers. I think Koko recommends only the one from Goldfish connection. But that would obviously be hard for you to get. We will see if anyone has any experience with this one.

No the bacteria cannot become resistant so fast. Because it is right behind the gills I think it is more likely something which is irritating him. Has there been any change since your last water change?

If you just put in the tap water of 7.2 it falls? Or does it stay 7.2?

I'm not sure if you mean a change in Rusty or a change in the tank but for both, there hasn't been.

The only thing different during the raised scales is the addition of pH buffer.

The tank apparently stays above 7.2 but I'm so unsure at the moment hehe :undecided: .

Thank you again :).

I don't think 7.2 is too bad. Plus you have the crushed coral. But I am not sure. I have very high pH so I have never had to deal with a low one.

Maybe the next water change don't add the buffer and just measure the pH every few hrs. As long as it doesn't go under 7, and that it doesn't fluctuate very fast it should be fine.

My tank pHs always fluctuate a little, I think it depends on the bacteria and the CO2 that is in the water. This somehow changes pH. But if the change isn't sudden it isn't a problem :)

Thanks both of you :)

Rusty is still hanging in there. It's hard to look at him, I can't bear seeing those raised scales :(.

Hopefully I should have the extra filter running by the end of the day (my mum is able to get some animal safe steriliser so that's great, and I've bought some new filter foam for it) and that should help keep the water cleaner - the built in filter can't cope =/ the water is still slightly cloudy.

Thanks again for reading and for all your advice :).

Thanks for the tip :D. I ended up using the sterilising solution my mum brought back though as I'm too afraid of somehow getting bleach into the water! The extra filter is now in the tank, which is nice :D - usually cleans up the cloudiness in no time.

Rusty's scales are still lifted sadly but he's still very active and enjoying his gravel scavenging :P. Hopefully things will be better in the morning.

Will test parameters when I can.

Thanks for reading :).

Thanks you three. I'm confused about the pH as well, though it could be me accidently not putting in enough solution when testing the water or something?

Rusty is doing well. He's active and still very greedy :P. His scales are sadly still lifted, even his underside is slightly prickly. I feel so helpless with this condition. I'm trying my best and it doesn't seem to work :(. Hopefully he'll get better.

Parameters:

Temperature: 80F. I don't know why that's suddenly gone up - the heater is apparently off at the moment. Everything seems to be fluctuating :undecided:

pH: 7.4-7.6

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm. Colour is oddly very bright blue compared to the light blue is usually is.

Nitrate: 0ppm

Thanks for reading :).

Sounds like things at the very least are stable. Sometimes we just have to hang in there for a little bit with things not getting worse. Is he still eating and active?

I just responded to your PM. Hopefully you can get the dilution sorted. Asking your vet is honestly the best bet!

Thanks again ryukin girl :).

Rusty is still hanging in there. He is active and has eaten but is still pineconing. I don't know whether the scales may have flattened a little but at the very least they're not worse. He's such a fighter :heart .

Will update with parameters when I can, thanks for reading :).