Really Worried - Dropsy?

bluebird

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, discovered I don't have any rubber gloves and don't have enough bleach hehe so I'll sort out the filter when I can.

Parameters:

Temperature: 78F

pH: 7.2

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: 0ppm

Ach. I don't know how the pH can change from 7.4-7.6 yesterday to 7.2! Oh dear >.<.

Okay, discovered I don't have any rubber gloves and don't have enough bleach hehe so I'll sort out the filter when I can.

Parameters:

pH: 7.2

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: 0ppm

Ach. I don't know how the pH can change from 7.4-7.6 yesterday to 7.2! Oh dear >.<.

How often are you changing the water, and how much of the water are you changing each time?

Ok. That sounds ok. Your water parameters seem really good. Just make sure to check these parameters daily to make sure that the pH doesn't fluctuate much and that the other values remain at 0. :)

Looking forward to updates on Rusty! :)

Thanks for the replies :) I've not been adding the buffer no, I can start doing so if you like? was worried about adding too many things to the tank hehe.

Update:

Rusty is doing great, is still eating and has no raised scales. I worry that he must be really bored in his bare tank as he has resorted to picking at the filter intake for his 'scavenging' but he seems to enjoy picking through the remaining gravel and floating up the bubbles from the airstone :P. I'm not sure how to keep him entertained when all the gravel goes though! I'll be putting in some plants in a few weeks at least.

I've made a little video too just to show the tank and how he's doing for anyone who's interested :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQDp8-N5En0&feature=youtube_gdata

Thank you :D

Parameters:

pH: 7.2-7.4 (looks like the buffer is working :D)

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

Sadly, I have yet another worry hehe. There's been red spots on Rusty for a while now and although I'm pretty sure they're just colouration, I can't stop worrying that I best make sure :P. Picture below:

RedSpots2.png

Also managed to take this, I'm not quite sure what has horrified him so much but it must be pretty shocking!

DSC_0104.jpg

Omg, best pic EVER! :rofl Please submit the pic to one of the contests (pic of the week, fish of the month) :D

I can't tell if there is an irritation there or not. It may be just his coloration. However, just keep a close eye on it to see if it gets larger or changes and let us know. Right now, since you are already epsom/metro treating, this will need to finish its course. Your daily water changes will certainly help with this.

Hehe thanks :P he's such a silly little guy. I might try submitting it but I dunno, contests are scary :P.

Thanks for your input :) he has the spots dotted around his body - a few on his head, a few on his back and a few by his tail, there are none on the lighter parts of his body. They appear to be on the very surface and are all the same size. I'm trying not to panic too much but you can never be too sure.

I also have another question (I know, I'm getting sick of seeing my posts xD but you guys are all so knowledgeable and I really want to get this right!) - I don't actually have enough meds for 14 days. Considering I use 7ml each day for a 40% water change, thats 91ml, then there's the 16ml I used at the beginning and the 5.5ml I used in Lily's tub. The bottle is only 100ml and my mum would understandly rather not order two as it's not the cheapest thing =/. So I was wondering if it'd be alright to switch to one waterchange in two days maybe for the last week?

Thanks again for all your time and input :) I really really appreciate it!

I don't think anyone is sick of seeing your posts, as you are doing a commendably admirable job taking care of your sick fish. :) You should definitely submit the pic for a contest. It might be scary, but it's harmless and fun also.

Could you try to take more pics of these spots? It would be great if you could take close ups. It would be great to have more pics, so the more advanced members/mods can take a look, just to be sure.

As for the water changes, I understand about the costs...so here's my suggestion. Try going for 2 days before a water change, and before you do your WC, determine the values for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH. If pH is stable, ammonia and nitrites are 0 or <0.25ppm, you can probably switch to doing WCs every other day so as to have enough to treat for all 14 days. Have you seen any accumulation of ammonia or nitrites after 24 hours and before a water change?

Thank you :D it's really good to know I'm not getting too tiring hehe.

I've tried to get a better picture of the spots but ..hm.

RedSpots3.png

Thank you about the water changes :D I'll try that. I remember I went without a water change recently as per ryukin girl's suggestion and parameters will still good i.e. pH/ammonia/nitrate/nitrites were all stable. I'll keep a close eye on them.

Thank you :D it's really good to know I'm not getting too tiring hehe.

I've tried to get a better picture of the spots but ..hm.

RedSpots3.png

Thank you about the water changes :D I'll try that. I remember I went without a water change recently as per ryukin girl's suggestion and parameters will still good i.e. pH/ammonia/nitrate/nitrites were all stable. I'll keep a close eye on them.

I hope ryukin girl and/or Trinket will stop by to take a look at that excellent pic and give you their opinion. In the mean time, just keep an eye and see if more develops or get larger.

Can you post the pic without the circles also? I am not an expert but the circles are a bit distracting. (But good also so That ppl Can see what you're worried about)

Hi bluebird. I have been so busy this past weekend! But I didn't forget about you, and I just caught up. :)

I would say that you should be able to go every two days (re: water changes) at this point. Just keep an eye on your Ammonia/NitrIte readings...they MUST stay at 0.

I'm so glad that he's looking so slim....flat...better. :unsure: It's a great improvement. :))

And Alex is right, none of us are sick of seeing your posts. We appreciate the thirst for knowledge that you have! :)

I wouldn't be worried about the red dots just yet. Let's give them a few days and if they end up looking a little more menacing, we can talk about them. A picture without the circles would also help. :)

Sorry for not replying earlier - been very busy ^^".

I accidently saved the spots picture after putting the circles in. Just went to take another and his scales are slightly lifted again. Gosh this is such a nightmare :(. I don't want to stress him by putting him in the jug but the scales are pretty much like the previous time:

DSC_0079.jpg

I'll try to sort out the spots photo soon, I'm just so stressed. I thought he was doing well :(. He's still very active and ate some pea pieces earlier at least. It also seems like his scales have only recently lifted - as I'm pretty sure they were flat only a few hours ago. Is that possible?

Parameters:

Temperature: 77F

pH: between 7.4 - 7.6

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

I haven't done a water change for today.

Thanks so much for all your input. I appreciate it so much.

Do the water changes stress him? I usually do them daily for fish with dropsy. It seems to work.

Is he still in the main tank? Have you been moving the gravel recently? Something seems to be irritating him on and off. Is there some sort of correlation you can see?

I'm not sure if they stress him :( it's so hard to know what's the best thing to do/what is least stressful for him.

He's still in the main tank and I haven't done anything different recently. He has done a fair bit of gulping at bubbles/at the surface if that's helpful at all? and I'm now paranoid I could have got a trace amount of solution from the test kits in the water somehow - how toxic are they?

Thank you for replying.

I just use a plastic cup to take the water out of the tank, so I am sure not to contaminate :)

Try and do a water change and clean everything again. It seemed to help the last time. Maybe remove a bit more gravel. (take him out while you do it)