Really Worried - Dropsy?

bluebird

Thank you :) and thanks so much for all your help. She was so lovely and I'm going to really miss seeing her (I think the realisation will really set in these next few days when I see the tank without her :( ) but I'm so grateful for everyone's continuing help and advice.

Thank you, I'm really hoping he's going to pull through - he's been through so much (even my awful beginner fishkeeping) and I'd hate to see this take him.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You caught Rusty's dropsy early enough, and started treating him early enough that I think it will make a huge difference. We're all cheering for you & Rusty!

Ok, I'm back. :bighug

I also would recommend keeping him out of the tank while the debris settles. And 1/4 of the gravel per water change (or every few days) sounds perfect. You don't want to risk a cycle bump with him in this state.

Also, all the decorations should come out for now. If, later on, you decide you want to add the plants back in, I would disinfect them with bleach (I do 1:20 solution for about a minute, then rinse REALLY well) and put them back in. But not until you are done with the course of medication.

And you may want to call your vet and ask if s/he has the formula for oral application of metronidazole. If not, a bit of sleuthing and I should be able to find it for you. I am just a very strong supporter of ORAL meds because all of it gets to the fish; none is wasted on the water. If that makes sense...? Water can be replaced -- so can filter media -- fish can't.

yea I was also thinking that since Rusty is eating medicated food would be SO much better!

I have no idea how you must make it tho. I think you would have to do gel food so that the meds done come off in the water. Do you not have access to Jungle AntiParasitic? I always use that for dropsy. It is pretty cheap too.

Yea the canisters are pretty pricy! But JBLs are already cheaper (and I think better quality) than the Eheims. I just think of it this way, good filter is cheaper than constantly sick fish!

You could also look into HOBs like the Eheim Liberty, those are much cheaper then canisters. I think you get those in the UK. You can ask BuggyBear I think she has been using those for a few months now.

Thank you :)

I'm going to do today's waterchange now and take out 1/4 of the gravel and the plant (could I store the plant and filter in the tub for now or should I turn off the filter, put it away and put the plants somewhere else too?) and will put in meds and epsom with the new water.

I'll ask about the oral application as soon as I can too, thank you - it does seem to make more sense :).

Thank you, thats a really good idea. I'm not too worried if the plants die as I seem to be helpless with them anyway hehe but I'll try storing them in a bowl. Still not sure whether to unplug the filter (in the tub) and start over with it as such/just keep it for backup maybe? I've looked up canister filters online and I'm torn between http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters/eheim/13352 for £70 and http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters/jbl/102999 for £80. I appreciate if this is way too many questions for one thread and it's okay to say if I'm asking way too many questions! but I figured I best give it a try hehe.

Edited by bluebird

Honestly, since you have only one guy now, I would just chuck the filter media, and bleach the filter housing. Then set it aside until you are done with the course of medications. Then you can put new media in it and start the cycle in there again. It's just safer that way.

The metro would indeed be made into a gel food. The gel would be mostly veggies and maybe some high quality pellets, then the powder would be added in on top of that. And you'd only be able to make a bit at a time so all the medication you put into the food would get into Rusty.

I will look those things up and check back in later today. :)

I would get the JBL because they are unbreakable! your tank is 70liters? that size should be fine then. :)

the only extra you would need to buy is like one box of those ceramic ring media as the JBLs usually include only little

Oh geez was that stressful. I figured I'd best keep Rusty in a large bowl whilst doing the water change and it is so stressful to see him in one! He had an airstone, looked fine and was only in there for 20 minutes or so but gosh, I will never understand how people keep goldfish in a bowl! At least it's done for today! Also took a quick photo of him in the bowl to check his scales:

DSC_0087.jpg

I can't find any raised scales so that's really, really awesome :D he's also eating and *ahem* pooped rather a lot in the bowl, so that's all really reassuring :D unless it's impossible his scales can flatten that quickly?

I've put the plants in a bowl but might end up throwing them away really, they're both very sad looking and I'm too scared of not bleaching them properly! I just ..actually feel a little bit guilty throwing them away :P they're only cheap things but ..they're alive y'know?

I'll try and sort out the filter later today and thanks so much for offering to look up the oral application for the meds - it'd be really really useful :D. Though you mention powder? the meds I have are in liquid form if that's a problem at all..?

Captain Findus Goldfish: thank you again :D the tank is 90 litres and I guess I'll hopefully be buying that filter then ^^ ..I don't mind buying it too much as I consider it really important but.. I'm just hoping I can convert my parents ^^". Thanks :)

I just ..actually feel a little bit guilty throwing them away they're only cheap things but ..they're alive y'know?

OMG you are like me! :rofl I have a huge PEST snail colony in a bowl because I felt too bad to kill the momma and now they are like 30! :rofl I call them my PetPest!

He looks REALLY good! It could be that it was indeed the wood! It could have been irritating his gills. Make sure you finish the entire Metro treatment tho, otherwise you get resistant bacteria strains.

Aww! That is lovely :D. I really admire that :).

Thank you, I really hope he recovers fully. He's been through so much and I can't watch what happened to Lily happen again, she really didn't deserve that. How long is the metronidazole treatment? a week or so?

Thanks for the verification on the treatment :).

Kulukan: thank you :) just had one of those moments where I forgot she was gone, I hate re-remembering like that. I think it helps having Rusty to focus on for now, gets a little too sad when you dwell! she was just so sweet and I feel awful she had to go like that, but I need to remember that I tried my best =/. Mh, thank you for all your kindness :) hopefully things will get easier in time.

Awww, I'm so sorry, they really leave an impact don't they? I only had Lily for 6 months and she was just the sweetest thing. I've just cleaned away the tub and everything and it kind of finalises things - that she's gone. It really helps though being able to talk with people who understand, thanks for listening :)

Just a little update: missing Lily a great deal :( but Rusty is doing really well - no raised scales, very active (his shimmying for food every time I so much as glance at him is really quite impressive) and is eating. Fins crossed :).

Just a little update: missing Lily a great deal :( but Rusty is doing really well - no raised scales, very active (his shimmying for food every time I so much as glance at him is really quite impressive) and is eating. Fins crossed :).

Great job! :D

Thanks you two ^^.

Just done a water change and fed him some pea pieces earlier - it is so cute when he eats them from my fingers hehe. I really appreciate being able to do that with him - it's such a small thing but it means a lot.

One thing I am a little paranoid about is the cloudy water - it's not awful but it's definitely not sparkly clear like it used to be with the two filters. I was wondering whether it'd be worth sterilising the other filter (the one I had in Lily's tub) and putting in? to do this, would I just dip the filter compartments into bleach solution (the 1 part bleach/9 parts water for 20 seconds method) ?

I'm really very sorry for all the questions - I'm just so worried about messing something up!

Thanks for reading :).

Sure, you should go ahead and bleach and rinse it thoroughly. You'll need to do that and let it really dry. Then I would recommend rinsing again with dechlorinated water before setting it back up to use.

What are your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates/ph/temperature readings for today?