Really Worried - Dropsy?

bluebird

Really got to sleep now but I'll update when I can.

Any suggestions on what to do about Rusty would be wonderful. I can buy new things if necessary but I can't spend a lot.

Thanks again and sorry for my panicking, hopefully things will turn out okay.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just incase anyone's still reading at this hour :P I've put medication and epsom into the tank (16.5ml meds at 7mg/litres and 200mg/5ml and 1/2t epsom for 90litres) mainly because I'm too worried about missing the 'early' stages as it were and I can't sleep without doing something. I'm going to try and find an extra heater sometime today.

Sorry for the en masse posting and huge thread ^^" and thanks so much for still reading and checking in on my fish, it means a lot :).

EDIT: also taken the carbon out of the filter and will restart daily waterchanges later today.

Edited by bluebird

Thanks so much everyone.

Sadly, Lily has passed away. I held her in my hands for ages to make sure and it was just heartbreaking. I had managed to say goodbye yesterday - I told her how beautiful she was and how much I've loved having her, and it's true. She was so peaceful and lovely and I've really enjoyed caring for her, even if it was for a short while. I'm so sad to have lost her but I'm also really glad she didn't suffer for too long.

Thank you all so much for your support and advice, you've all been so compassionate and caring and given me such great advice and I really, really appreciate it. I've learnt so much in the past week and been really humbled by all your words and support.

Rusty is doing well. He's still eating and is very active. I'll try and take a picture later today. I just really hope I caught it early enough, I can't bear the thought of someone as silly and boisterous as him being reduced to nothing.

I'm not sure what else to say. Thanks so much though, you all really helped me give Lily a fighting chance and even though she didn't make it, I can safely know I tried my best.

Thank you.

Oh no I am so sorry about Lily! :(

You did catch Rusty earlier, so his chances are much higher. It has never been a good sign for me when fish stopped eating.

I can't help but think WHY both are affected. I have never had 'contagious' dropsy.

Can you quickly just describe the set up in your main tank? gravel? drift wood? ornaments? I think there is something there which is hiding some nasties.

We will figure it out :grouphug

Thank you so much :).

I can do a quick video of the tank if you like? I'll show the filter too just incase.

I've took the thermometer and heater out of the tub (after washing and drying) but I'm unsure of whether I can take the plant or filter out.

Gosh it's all so surreal but I really am glad she isn't suffering anymore.

the plant from lily you mean? you can always disinfect it.

sure a video would be great!

yea when they get that bad it's always a relief when they pass :(

Mhm, how would I go about disinfecting? sorry for the constant questions I'm just so scared of getting things wrong! can the filter just be emptied and put back in?

The video is just processing at the minute so should be ready soon. I wasn't sure what I was trying to do when showing the filter so I'll describe it instead ^^". There's two compartments and they're both ceramic noodles > 1 x sponge pad > 2 x thin wool pads, with crushed coral inbetween these two pads in one of the compartments (you can see it in the video).

I'm not sure if the wood in there classes as driftwood (I'm guessing so hehe?) but it has been there ever since I've had the tank and was used by the previous owner. The gravel is cleaned with a gravel cleaner each water change but, as I now know, I wasn't doing big enough waterchanges freuquently enough :(. Excuse the sorry looking plant, I've never been able to keep them alive! that and Rusty is too greedy for his own good.

I'll update with the parameters and video when I can.

And you're right, it is a funny kind of relief :(.

Thanks again :).

Don't worry I also like getting everything straight!

okay so this is the main tank? also lily was from here right?

When I started out with fish keeping I also had gravel and lots of ornaments. But my fish kept getting sick. I would personally remove the gravel, especially the wood then if it has been pre-used and not disinfected etc. I think that the only way to get away with using gravel is by doing VERY GOOD syphoning of it every week or more. And having only a very thin layer. I didn't think it was worth it. :)

Let me just post a few tank set ups I have so you get an idea.

DSCN3903-1.jpg

DSCN3241-1-1.jpg

When I found Koko I was SO NOT into the idea of a bare bottom! But I now LOVE the clean look! And my fish are much happier.

As for the plants you must always disinfect them when you buy them. You can do it with a solution of 1part bleach and 9parts water for 20seconds. Or 1 part bleach 19parts water for 2 mins :) never skip this step! especially once all is settled and you have healthy fish, it is just a way to introduce baddies in your tank!

As for the filter I have never used such a thing. It is like part of the tank right? How often do you clean it? Like swish the stuff in tank water etc?

If you are adding the Metro in the main tank keep an eye on the parameters, I am not 100% sure that it doesn't kill filter bacteria.

That is the main tank yes.

Your tanks are gorgeous :D thanks so much for all the advice.

Should I start removing a cup of gravel every week then? (I'm sure I read this somewhere hehe) and remove the driftwood?

The filter is part of the tank yes, and I clean the pads every so often but it has always worried me how the slightest movement can cause lots of dirt and other things to fall into the tank. I wonder sometimes whether to shut it off and just use external/internal filters.

I'll have a go at bleaching the plant.

Nearly done with the parameters, will post when I can :)

Sorry for asking again but do you think I should move the filter from the tub into the tank? I'm too worried about moving it without confirmation that it won't introduce anything hehe =/.

Thanks again :).

EDIT: whoops, you already mentioned removing the driftwood, I'll do that now.

Edited by bluebird

I wouldn't use the filter from lily. It seems like you have enough gunk in your present one! :teehee

Is there a way not to use this filter? A canister WOULD be so much better! I was always afraid of internal filters who let all the gunk back in the tank!

What size is your tank? I am not sure if you get these in UK but I run all my smaller tanks with JBL CristalProfi filters. THey are WONDERFUL!

I would remove the little guy whenever you remove some gravel and especially the wood. It is safer, especially if he is sick. I would remove the wood right away and do a good syphoning of the gravel, and maybe remove like 1 or 2 cups.

When I removed my gravel I did it all at once! But I am a little bit of a neat freak! When I get my cleaning attacks nothing stops me! :P

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will look into canisters.

I can turn off the filter yes.

Gyah I need to stay and wait for replies before acting! already removed the wood >.<. Will remove Rusty whilst getting rid of the gravel at least.

The tank is 90 litres/20 gallons.

Can you remove the gravel all at once? I was worried it'd get rid of too much beneficial bacteria?

Very nearly done with parameters, will write up the whole list again i.e. the one on top of the page.

Thanks for your quick replies :).

Edited by bluebird

90 liters then you can get the JBL e900. :)

Yea if the tank has debris don't move anything with him in there, especially since he is already sick.

Yea the gravel removal depends, maybe do like 1/4 every few days?

Gota run some errands, I will check back later :)

Thanks so much :)

Sorry again for the possibly silly question but once I remove him, should I keep him there till the debris subsides? or would that take too long?

And just to clarify, is that 1/4 cup of gravel a week? or 1/4 of the gravel?

Thanks again for all your help :)

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[Tank: 0ppm / Tap: 0ppm]Ammonia Level?

[0ppm]Nitrite Level?

[0ppm]Nitrate level?

[between 7.4 - 7.6 (tried both pH and high pH tests) / Tub: 7.2]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[7.2]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[API Freshwater Master Test Kit]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[74F]Water temperature?

[20G, a year in May]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[Tank: filter that came with tank - 550LPH]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

[Currently: 50% daily / Future: 50% biweekly or 75% weekly]How often do you change the water and how much?

[Wednesday: 30%]How many days ago was the last water change and how much?

[1, around 6-7cm[How many fish in the tank and their size?

[Epsom salt, metronidazole, Tetra Aquasafe]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[Peas and flake food. A few flakes each everyday, a pea each every now and then]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[No]Any new fish added to the tank?

[Metronidazole]Any medications added to the tank?

[slight pinecooning in gill area]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[No]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

With the nitrate still being 0ppm despite a day without a water change, I'm starting to feel my cycle might not be working, or the filter.

I have to go to rehearsal, but I will be back in about an hour and a half. I have some advice. I just didn't want you to think I had forgotten about you! :heart

And I am soo sorry about Lily. But rest assured you did the best you could for her. :rip::grouphug

Please don't worry about having to go and thanks so much for checking in :) it really does mean a lot that people care :)

Thanks for the condolences too, it was such a shock initially and is still so horribly sad but now I've calmed down I'm really relieved that she's not hurting anymore.

Thanks for helping me to help her :).

Don't worry too much about the nitrates, as long as nitrites and ammonia are not showing up you are fine. I NEVER have nitrates in my 85Gal, but it is rather understocked.

I would keep him out while most of the debris is gone, you could even suck the debris out with the syphon.

I would do 1/4 of the gravel bed. Not sure if that is too much. Don't think so :)

Thank you :)

I also looked at the canister - not cheap is it? xD but I'm definitely going to consider it. I just want to get things right hehe =/. Thanks again for the reccomendation.

It's funny, my dad has an overstocked 60L tropical tank downstairs with a huge plant taking up nearly half the tank and several ornaments, he only does waterchanges possibly once a month and yet his fish are doing great and are even breeding :P. Hehe it's just so fustrating sometimes! and only fuels his ideas that my tank set up and maintenance is OTT :P. I'm glad his fish are doing well at least.

I'll remove the gravel as soon as I can, thank you :).