Really Worried - Dropsy?

bluebird

Hi hi! I'm still here, I promise. :)

In regards to her weight, do you have any pictures of her from before she started to pinecone? Those can be good comparison points.

Leave the crushed coral in there, the pH is fine now, but when you replace the stable water with unstable (tap) water you have problems. It does no harm if the crushed coral isn't needed and is still in there, so just leave it. It actually won't raise your pH after a certain point because it's acidic water that makes it work. So it kinda has it's own "off valve." :)

Ok, it sounds like your cycle is working. Can you try going for a day without a water change, then checking the params at the end of the day? It would make sense that you don't have any nitrAte when you're doing daily water changes because you are diluting it everyday. Which is good, but it might be less stressful on you, and on Lily, if you can stop the water changes. ....Not that water changes in and of themselves are stressful for her, but if the temperature is fluctuating, and the water is overly turbulent, it might stress her out. Does that make sense?

Definitely try the garlic. That's a very good thought.

I would try the Metro FIRST because that would be an oral application. Which means more of the medication is going to get directly inside her, as opposed to the Baytril bath. But that, of course, depends on which one you can get your hands on. :)

And of course, how is she doing today? :heart

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain Findus Goldfish: thanks so much for sharing your story - I'm so sorry about Dr. House but it sounds like she had a wonderful life with you :).

dnalex: thanks so much :) I don't want to her stress her by putting her in the jug again but she appears to still be pineconing and has developed redness - both in little spots and in patches ..is that popped off scales?

ryukin girl: thanks so much for checking in. It's a bit too sad to look at earlier pictures right now hehe (I'm such a baby) but she's not really eating. I tried feeding her some pea pieces that had been soaked in garlic but she either only took very small nibbles or was just gasping. Thanks about the crushed coral - that's good to know :). I haven't done a water change today and I've tried the bottled water thing to compare ammonia and it looks like Tank: 0ppm and Tub: 0ppm though it's so weird as they really do look like the 0.25 ppm but they also look the same as the amonia reading for bottled water. The metronidazole or baytril should be coming in half an hour at the latest. She's not doing great, she's not swimming well or eating well, is still pineconing and has developed red spots. I feel awful.

Thanks for all your support.

Oh, are the red spots like internal bruising? That could be internal bleeding :(

just try and keep her comfortable with the stable high temps. and put in either liquid metro or the baytril when you get it.

since she isn't eating the medicated food would be pointless now.

Liquid Metro comes in form of Hikari Metro+ I have never used it but I have it in my 'fish pharmacy'. This is to add to the water. I THINK you can also soak food in it.

The Baytril is a liquid which can be used either to make medicated food, as a bath and as a shot. I have done the food and the bath. I was about to try the shot but it wasn't advised in my case. How large is lily? She might be too small for the shot, a bath will be safer, just less effective.

The metronidazole has arrived :)

The dose is 7mg/litre and there's 200mg metronidazole in 5ml and 32 litres in the tub so we worked out a dose of 5.5ml. By the looks of things, this is added straight to the water and then 'topped up' after waterchanges. The vet advised to put it in, then do daily 50% waterchanges, adding the metronidazole back each time. I was wondering whether I should also add the epsom salt back still?

I would definitely wait on ryukin girl to weigh in, but I think that at this time, since you have metronidazole and since you've already given Lily Epsom for several days now, it might be time for just the metro alone. I'm sure she will check in soon. :)

I'm sending good thoughts your way. Your dedication to helping Lily is an inspiration to us all!

I understand that metro & epsom are ok together, so may also be that ryukin girl will suggest keep the epsom there also. Just be patient. She'll check in :)

I think Imo had said that Epson can be put with anything. I would personally keep it in (if it hasn't been in more than 8days). It seems to have had good effects on her.

Yup just redose whatever you take out :)

Hope it works! Usually with antibiotics you see positive effects quite fast.

PS. Don't forget that heat and stable temps are also extremely important for this. (26-27C)

Hi, grabbing a quick break from work. :)

Yes, like Frederica said, you should keep the Epsom in for now. It should only be used for 8 days at a time, but it hasn't been that long, so should be fine. It won't interact with the medication so don't worry about that! :)

I am so glad to hear you have gotten the meds, what great luck to have a parent who works at a vet! :)

Keep us updated. And don't worry too much about the food. Goldfish can go for quite long without eating and not suffer any irreparable damage....they can go for about 7 days without anything untoward happening, so get that med in the water and hopefully she'll be deflated and eating by then! :)

Thanks so much.

Your optimism really helps, gives me a lot of hope :).

I'll restart the water changes tomorrow, adding in dechlorinator, epsom salt and metronidazole to the new water.

I'll definitely keep everyone updated, thanks again :)

And yes, I really am lucky to have my mum working at a vets hehe, it's very helpful :).

I'll restart the water changes tomorrow, adding in dechlorinator, epsom salt and metronidazole to the new water.

I'll definitely keep everyone updated, thanks again.

exactly.gifbingo.gif

Don't forget the pictures, too.

I really wish this was all a horrible, horrible dream that I could wake up from.

I just had a proper look at Rusty and put him in the jug to make sure and took a photo and, well.

DSC_0079.jpg

I don't know what to do. I feel utterly helpless.

I have so much work to do too over these holidays and I've just spent them crying/being stressed or sleeping too much in despair.

I don't want to lose them.

I think given that they are both affected, perhaps you can just set them both in the QT and go with the epsom/metro treatment? The reason why I'm suggesting the QT instead of putting them back into the tank and treat is that may be the nasties that are causing these are still in there. Hence, it might be worth your while to do a thorough sterilization of the tank, which they can move back in once they have recovered.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I hope both will pull through quickly.

Thanks so much.

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just so upset and lost.

Will they both be okay in there? There's only 32 litres.

Thank you.

EDIT: the tank is 90 litres, the tub is 32 litres

Edited by bluebird

Thanks so much.

I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm just so upset and lost.

Will they both be okay in there? There's only 32 litres.

Thank you.

EDIT: the tank is 90 litres, the tub is 32 litres

Do you have enough meds to treat the tank? 32 litres is a bit small. I'm sorry. I somehow had thought the tub is bigger. In any case, don't panic. Leave things as they are for the moment. Ryukin girl will pop back in to check soon enough, and perhaps also other experienced members.