Really Worried - Dropsy?

bluebird

Oh, oh dear. I'm not sure what they used then!

I guess I'll just have to wait for the test kit to arrive, really hoping it doesn't take too long.

I've asked my mum to order in the metronidazole (if you saw that post?) and it looks like it should be in by Wednesday. Does anyone know how to dose pure metronidazole?

Gosh, those exchange systems sound impressive! though I'm sure they have a price tag to match :P.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will check my books about the metronidazole. I'll get back to you by tomorrow. I am about to take some time to do homework....shoulda done that earlier! LOL

Actually, the CE systems I have seen were all home-rigs, so kinda expensive, but not as much as trying to buy one! :)

I'm not much help here but I just wanted you to know that I'm rooting for you! I've never seen a fish quite like Lily before - I think she is stunning and I hope she pulls through.

Kulukan: thanks so much :) I'm really hoping she pulls through too! I'm glad that this happened during the Easter holidays at the very least - it would have been a lot more difficult to monitor her during term time. Thanks again :).

Update for today: she's doing well and ate last night (hand fed her a few flakes just to make sure!). Whilst she looks like she's swimming around okay, she does seem like she 'lets the current take her' more than she used to in the main tank. I've re-positioned the filter so the expelled water bounces off the wall of the tub instead of coming right out into the water and reduced the strength of the airstone just to try and lessen the current incase it's too strong. She did seem a lot more active when I put her in the small jug to take a picture of her though - she was pretty much stationary when I did this yesterday.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZFtt1he4QE&feature=youtube_gdata

Sorry for the shakiness! not the best with video.

Picture:

DSCF2412.jpg

This has been taken with a different camera (original one has run out of battery) so the detail isn't as great but I'm hoping it's not too optimistic to feel her scales may have flattened a little? at least they're not protruding any further! her red eyes worry me though. What could be causing them to become so red around the edges?

Just fed them both a cut up pea each - Rusty needed no direction whatsoever and wolfed his down, and Lily needed some persuading that it was edible but ate them eventually. It was really nice to see her attacking the scraps left on my finger so enthusiastically - it's always good when they're still eating :D.

Just incase anyone wants a little update hehe :).

Edited by bluebird

Thank you for the update! I'm glad for it. :)

Right now, not getting worse is a great thing. It does seem to me at the very least that isn't getting worse, and possibly the scales have flattened out a little bit more. What is the temp of the tub? Tomorrow, when you take pics, if you could replicate the same conditions to take the top view pics, it would be great for the purposes of comparison. Good thinking on adjusting the filter so that she doesn't have to fight the current so much.

I had not realized that the red rim around her eyes is new. I had thought that it was part of her coloring. I'm sure ryukin girl or some other experience member/mod will come along shortly to help with that.

It's great that you are hand-feeding. This practice is a nice way for you to interact with your fish, and it will ensure that both of your fish will get food :)

Keep up the good work :D

I also think the "redness" is part of her coloring, so nothing to worry about. However, if it does become more pronounced, we can deal with that too. Just keep us up to date.

I think the scales have flattened quite considerably! That's so great! Looks like you are on the right track :)

For the next photos you take, can you re-post the one below along with the new one? That way we can see any differences without having to scroll through tons of posts. :)

Thanks so much for checking in again! :D

Just done a 30% water change for the tank and a 50% water change for the tub. Carpet smells awful after spilling so much water these past few days :P need to utilise towels better!

Tub temperature is 76F, should I be worried that it seems to be fluctuating between 76F and 78F? I'm not sure how much fluctuation would cause temperature shock.

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow yes and will place the older ones with them - good point hehe :D.

I'll try not to worry too much about the redness. It's definitely new (come up in this last month or two) but hopefully it's just a colour change like you say! does that mean she might go panda > white > orange? crazy :P

It is really nice hand feeding them yes, I'd not had much success in the past but they seem to be getting more used to it now so that's really nice. I think it helped letting them nibble at my hands after water changes (or during if they were feeling particularly cheeky :P).

Glad to hear that she seems to be looking better! I don't want to get my hopes up as it's still early days but fingers crossed :).

Thanks again :).

Why is the temperature fluctuating? Is it from your water changes?

If so, make sure your water is almost exactly the same temperature. No need to use a thermometer, just a finger in the bucket and the tub at the same time will tell you if the temperatures are different.

I guess it's probably the water changes yes.

I try to make sure the new water is the same temperature but I musn't be very good at it :P will try and be more stringent.

Sadly it seems that my mum isn't really willing to order the metronidazole - primarily because the vets say that salt and water changes should be sufficient and because they're not really meant to prescribe anything for an animal they haven't seen (and taking Lily in would likely stress her a great deal).

How much does this reduce her chances?

Sorry for the usual barrage of questions!

I guess it's probably the water changes yes.

I try to make sure the new water is the same temperature but I musn't be very good at it :P will try and be more stringent.

Sadly it seems that my mum isn't really willing to order the metronidazole - primarily because the vets say that salt and water changes should be sufficient and because they're not really meant to prescribe anything for an animal they haven't seen (and taking Lily in would likely stress her a great deal).

How much does this reduce her chances?

Sorry for the usual barrage of questions!

Let us hope the epsom & heat will do the trick :). Certainly Lily has shown a lot of improvement.

In the mean time, could you try asking around the LFS whether they have Jungle anti-parasite medicated food? This product is widely available in the US, but I don't know about the UK. Although this product contains a few more things that you need, it does contain metronidazole. Perhaps you could just ask them if they carry any food/products with metronidazole. Don't buy it just yet, but see if they have anything like that, and let us know.

Kulukan: that's right yes and don't worry, it just means a lot that people are interested in Lily's progress!

dnalex: lets hope so! and I can try again but when I asked last time they said they had no antibiotic foods (just medicated ones) and none containing metronidazole (getting good at spelling that now! xD) because of the strict antibiotic regulations and all, it really sucks!

Edited by bluebird

Oh, panic over about the eyes! just looked back at some old photos (from November) and she actually had streaks of orange around her eyes then. So it must indeed be a colour change - so exciting! I just really hopes she pulls through this, seeing her grow up and change colours sounds amazing right now.

@bluebird: what a relief! I really like Lily's red eyeshadow ;)

@kulukan: yeah, both of my butterflies have HUGE-NORMOUS eyes; I don't know how they find food, but they always do...usually first in line actually :rofl

Kulukan: hehe thank you :D and Kitty is such a cutie! I love her fins - so flowy and beautiful!

dnalex: hehe eyeshadow, I hadn't thought of it like that! she's one fashionable fish :P

GoldfishBoy: I'd cuddle her if I could :D.

By the way, I wanted to thank everyone again for their help and support - I'd be helpless without it! I'd especially like to thank dnalex and ryukin girl - your advice and kind words have been so humbling and it means so much that you keep checking up on my little fish! so I decided to draw you guys something. The only thing is, I'm really struggling to find something to draw for you ryukin girl! so if you could post a recent picture of one of your fish I'd love to draw them for you :).

dnalex:

Byakuya.png

Sorry it's not perfect! I just thought Byakuya was so cute in your recent photo thread and I just hope I did her justice :).

Thanks again :) even if the worst happens, I have learnt so much in this past few days and will definitely be more prepared for the future :)

I'll keep you updated as often as I can ^^

Edited by bluebird

I'm not too much help with the dropsy (I haven't had much success with dropsy before in my tropical fish) but I was looking at Lily and she almost looks like she could have been a panda and lost the black coloring. Either way, she's very unique and I hope she pulls through! :) And she most def. looks like her scales have flattened out a bit

Aw, thank you! That was one of the best presents EVER! I really appreciate it, and you did Byakuya's rendition so perfect well. Actually, before I scrolled down to the rest of your post, I was thinking in my head, "Wow! That fish looks just like Byakuya!" :rofl. In any case, I like it so much, I'm using it as my wallpaper :D

I hope Lily will get even better tomorrow, and look forward to seeing updates. Hang in there! :)

vwashbur: I'm really sorry things haven't turned out well for you with dropsy in past but thanks so much for dropping by :). She was indeed a panda at the beginning and is gradually losing her black hehe, thanks for the well wishes and I hope she pulls through too :).

dnalex: aww thank you :D, I'm so glad you like it! it was the least I do and the bit about thinking it was her before reading it was made me smile - I'm so glad it portrays her accurately enough! thanks so much for the well wishes and I'll definitely provide updates on her progress :).

Thank you. I was still inexperienced at the time but I've recently tried goldfish and so far so good.

And yes! I thought she looked like a panda :) I have one too. Marley's still got her black though, but losing it pretty quick.

Anyways, good luck! And keep updating us. I'd like to see her when she pulls through :D

Glad to know it's going well with your goldfish! :D and good guessing :) they do lose their black very easily sadly but they're really pretty all white too so it's all good hehe.

Thanks again and I'll definitely keep updating :)