Sign in to follow this  
bluebird

Really Worried - Dropsy?

Thanks for all your advice!

Rusty is doing really well. I'm confused as to how he can recover so fast but yeah, he's doing great which is really nice!

Federica: he was fully pineconed - worst he has ever been. I was convinced I was going to lose him yet he's recovered so quickly. I am rather worried that is going to be a permenant problem however so I'm going to stick with waterchanges at least every two days rather than twice a week once I've finished metro/epsom. Also, that's interesting about the filter! The water seems really clean at the moment actually - it could have been things simply getting trapped behind the rocks/in the plants. I will keep an eye on it however and remove it if the problem comes back. I'm just a bit wary of only having one filter incase one breaks, and the JBL always needs monitoring incase it stops for some reason (still figuring it out!).

Thanks again everyone :).

Yay, you're doing a great job, bluebird! Go, Rusty! :D

Thank you!

Just a little update to say that Rusty is still doing great - scales are flat and he's active and eating well. It's really nice to see him so healthy. One big indicator that he's perked up is that he's following me again - he just wasn't interested before and didn't want to make the effort, but now he's back to trying to chew off my fingers every time I put them in the tank and begging for food every time I come close. I'm so glad for the little guy :D.

I've stopped the epsom (been 8 days) but will continue metro for the 14. I've also taken out the internal filter to see how it goes!

Thanks for reading :).

Edited by bluebird

:Congrats: :Congrats: :Congrats: :Congrats: :Congrats:

Rusty is a trooper! I'm so glad he's doing well. I think that taking out the internal filter is a great idea. Those things tend to accumulate gunk really fast, and every time you clean, things get dumped right out into the tank.

I really wish I had good news but sadly I don't.

Rusty is in a really bad way. He's been on and off for months and yesterday he became really weak and has been in the 'C' shape ever since. He flickers every now and then but I'm not very hopeful. In a way, I'm kind of relieved - he's been fighting this for so long and I just want him to to be out of his suffering. I'm posting mainly to ask how I can make him comfortable I guess. I've decreased the filter/bubble flow and reduced the water level so he's not being pushed around the tank and I'm keeping the lights off but I'm not sure what else to do. I just want him to be comfortable and not in pain - it's so hard seeing him this way.

Thanks for all your help - everyone has been amazing, right from the very start.

I'm sorry, bluebird :(

It sounds like you are already doing everything you can to keep him comfortable. :hug

I'm sorry. RIP Rusty :(

You can actually get a food that's similar to medigold delivered to the UK from Goldfish Utopia, here's the link http://www.goldfishu...ood-Pellet.html

You'll need to soak it in tank water for about 10-15 mins before feeding, it's quite hard and kept getting spit out by my fish :/

Takes a while to arrive but worth it to have on hand at least anyway.

EDIT: Oh no, I'm so sorry, RIP Rusty :(

Edited by Silverfish

Oh no :( I'm so sorry. You did everything you could do. Rest in peace, little Rusty.

Thanks everyone. I'm so upset and going to miss him so much but I'm really glad he won't be suffering anymore. I'll never forget him.

Silverfish - thanks for the link, I'll keep that safe.

Sorry you lost little Rusty. You did everything you could for him, and I'm sure he had a good life with you.

take care!

mj