Really Worried - Dropsy?

bluebird

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww thank you :) it really means a lot to know people care.

I'm really excited to say this! Rusty's scales have definitely flattened today and his underside is less ridged. I'll try and get a photo later. He's only a little bit 'bumpy' now, though I can't tell how much of it is just normal scales. Before, the scales were 'spiky' near his gill plate when looking down on him.

He's still doing his corner sitting thing but whizzes out of it when I come close. Could he be ..bored? hehe maybe that's a silly question but he has nothing to do in that tank apart from look through clean gravel. He's definitely more active this morning though - it's really lovely to see :).

So yes, I really hope I haven't jinxed anything saying all of this but I can't help it, I'm so happy for him. Just really hoping he continues to get better!

It's kind of bittersweet though. I feel so awful about Lily and how I might have been able to save her if I had the knowledge I have now e.g. soaking the food in the metronidazole. I know she was always weaker than Rusty and may not have survived either way but ..yeah, just niggling guilt there. I miss her a lot. But hopefully I at least won't lose them both. I really hope so.

Thanks for reading and I'll try and update with parameters at some point :).

:bounce :bounce :bounce:nana :nana :nana:rockon :rockon :rockon

We're doing all of that silently, of course, since we don't want to jinx anything :))

It definitely sounds so promising though. I'm very happy for Rusty.

I understand about feeling guilty with Lily, but you were trying everything you could at the time; it was very sad that things just didn't come together in time to save her. Still, I think you did everything you possibly could have, and it was very moving to see that.

I have often wondered whether my fish are bored at times lol. That's why I end up adding plants, adding back some gravel, throwing in a moss ball or two, varying up their diets lol. Right now, however, he'll have to finish his course of treatment before some excitement lol. I think that it might be good to give me the full 14 days of metro soaked food :)

Hehe aww, thank you!

Thanks for the reassurance about Lily too. I know 'what ifs' are never helpful but it's hard not to dwell sometimes. I'm glad I (hopefully) tried my best with the resources I had in hand at least and I have learnt a lot. It's all taught me a hard lesson in preparedness at the very least. I'm just hoping her six months were okay for her, because I really enjoyed having her.

Hehe I'm glad I'm not the only one! and yes, Rusty will have to bear with the boringness for a little while. Is it safe to feed him the food for 14 days after the meds have been in the water also? I'd like to feed him for 14 days too but I'm not sure how safe it is!

I am inclined to suggest feeding him the metro food for 14 days. However, since we have a bit of time on that, you can ask ryukin girl's opinion when she comes back on Monday :)

Aww thank you :D I'm just really happy to be able to deliver good news at last!

Just done a 50-60% waterchange and checked the parameters. Also taken a few photos of Rusty that show his flattening scales :D.

Before:

DSC_0143.jpg

After:

DSC_0576.jpg

Sorry about the distracting air stone hehe. I'd just unplugged it right before taking the picture as I was ready to move him back once I'd taken the photo. You can also see the red spots he has.

DSC_0578.jpg

Parameters:

pH: 7.4-7.6

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

And if all that wasn't good enough, the plants are doing amazing in their separate bowl (funny how not being eaten by goldfish does that :P) and the tank is finally becoming clear again. It has been a little cloudy these past few days but I think the extra filter is finally starting to come up to speed and clear it all up now.

He's also just eaten a med soaked pellet ^^.

Maybe this nightmare is finally coming to an end!

That is definitely great news! You should definitely pat yourself in the back, and when Rusty is done with his medicated food and healthy, perhaps you'll have to celebrate with a blood worm or two :))

Everything looks great! Continue the excellent work :)

Hehe thank you! I couldn't have done it without everyone's help and support :).

I've never actually fed him live food, I've always been a bit too paranoid about what they might introduce hehe and ..it sounds so silly but I'd actually feel bad for the blood worms :P. I'll definitely think about it though!

Rusty is doing great today. His scales are pretty much flattened, he's active (though still doing his corner thing - I think he's bored for the most part!), and has eaten and hoping to score some more food with relentless begging :P. So yes, I'm really happy :). I'm just really hoping that he continues to get better and doesn't relapse. It's definitely an ongoing battle by the looks of things.

The tank is also completely clear now so that's a nice bonus :P.

Thanks for reading :).

I've never actually fed him live food, I've always been a bit too paranoid about what they might introduce hehe and ..it sounds so silly but I'd actually feel bad for the blood worms :P. I'll definitely think about it though!

Great news! :)

As for the food, I meant the frozen kind. I don't recommend feeding him live foods unless you are raising the live foods yourself, since live feed from dubious sources could introduce pathogens to your fish.

I don't recommend feeding him live foods unless you are raising the live foods yourself, since live feed from dubious sources could introduce pathogens to your fish.

:exactly

he looks great btw! almost flat!

dnalex: thank you :) and oh, sorry yes I should have known you meant the frozen kind hehe.

Captain Findus Goldfish: thanks so much. I really hope Humphrey gets better too.

I'm back! And I am so happy to see that Rusty has made so much improvement! :nana

As for how long you should feed him, I would also go with the full 14 days. Metro can be administered for 14-30 days, and since you didn't have the metro in the water for anywhere near 16 days, it will be just fine. Plus the fact that very little Metro was actually "drunk" by him since freshwater fish barely drink any water at all. :)

Keep us updated. This is turning out to be a very great recovery story! :)

Thanks so much you two ^^.

Rusty is still doing good. His scales are pretty much flat and he is very active.

He's also very cute :P. The video below shows him nibbling on my fingers when I put them in the water. He'll even swim right beside them so I can feel his fins - it's the sweetest thing ever <3. Sadly, the video quality isn't too great and it looks more like he's gulping air when he was practically trying to gnaw my fingers off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBEFFkpnaNw&feature=youtube_gdata

I've just done a 40-50% water change too and he has eaten.

However, things aren't 100% great. He's developed a white spot on one of his pelvic fins, which is circled in the image below. Also circled is one of his red spots. I've also included an uncircled image incase the circles are distracting.

DSC_0596Spots-1.png

DSC_0596.jpg

I'm guessing the white spot is bacterial but it's just ..scary considering he's never had one before and Lily had them when she passed away.

Thanks for reading :).

I'm glad for Rusty's continued recovery. :)

That does look like a bacteria spot. For now, just continue to do what you have been doing and giving him pristine water by doing daily water changes. Hopefully, it will resolve on its own!

Thanks dnalex :) the spot has actually gone already which is amazing! I'm really glad.

Update:

Rusty is doing great. His scales are flat, he's very active and is eating wonderfully. Parameters are all good (77F/7.4-7.6 pH/0/0/0) and I've finally removed the gravel. I'm just hoping I haven't removed it too quickly! (I started removing it two weeks ago). The tank looks wonderfully clean but I genuinely fear for Rusty's sanity! he has nothing to do now :(. Hopefully he can hang on for another week or so! Shot a really short video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op-bYHcF-sE&feature=youtube_gdata

As you can see - the tank isn't really made for barebottom :P. Has silly looking squares on the bottom. Hopefully I can get some rocks or something later on.

Also, whilst checking when I started removing the gravel by looking back through the thread I realised I had missed one of your posts Captain Findus Goldfish - you mentioned how the canister was indeed expensive hehe and that I could look into the Eheim Liberty too. I've actually been checking the JBL e900 filter pretty much daily since you mentioned it and decided that seeing as I still want it after two weeks, I'm going to take the plunge and buy it - I'm very excited :P. I'm just wondering how much space the output takes up? as the actual canister part only just fits into my cabinet after removing a shelf, but I can't figure out how much space the output components take up i.e. whether I'd need to make a hole for them. Thanks so much in advance!

Thanks for reading! :)

Edited by bluebird

oh that is great for rusty!

good choice on the canister! the hoses are what take a bit of space behind the tank, but it is pretty small. You will just need 2 holes in the back of the cabinet (unless it is open) for them to go up to the tank :)

don't worry about rusty's sanity! my fish live in pretty empty tanks too :D you can add the plant back in maybe? you can try tying it to a nice rock (sterilize everything first!)

Hooray! I'm so happy to hear that Rusty is right on track to full recovery under your excellent care! Rusty is so lucky to have you! :)

I'm sure you'll be having a wonderful time when you get the canister. I am shopping around for one also, but it won't be right away.

:Congrats: