Something Is Wrong, Do Not Know What It Is.

• Supporter

Thanks for sharing that Helen. It is quite informative. Were all the fish in that video fine before the prazi treatment? And they all turned that way specifically because of the prazi?

:exactly

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little update now that they are on their third day of prazi treatment. They are all looking good, all swimming around with very little bottom sitting. Wigglies is swimming around like normal most of the time with frequent spurts of sporadic swimming.

I also wanted to double check with the proper prazi treatment procedure. It is 3 days of prazi then water change/carbon to remove what prazi is left for 2 days right? I was unsure if you do your water change/add carbon on the third day itself or wait till the fourth day so you get 3 full days of prazi?

You're welcome. :D

Actually, I actually re-read something Sakura posted in another thread. Prazi will be inactivated after three days, so you actually don't need to add carbon to remove Prazi. Just do a large WC after 5 days (120 hours), and then redose Prazi (full dose).

Ah alright, I was just gonna do a 50% wc tomorrow and throw in a fresh filter cartridge since I have one slot available. And I was just gonna use that as my carbon insert for future needs.

I always remove the prazi with a large water change. i like to think that this already gets some free swimmers and 'cadavers' out.

I dose it same day each week. So prazi in 3days and out 4.

Thanks Helen. :) Hopefully Wigglies will be back to his normal jolly self soon.

@Federica: I think I like that idea. 3 days on the medication 4 days off. Gives them sometime to breath. Plus they are just dieing to eat. I almost caved and fed them some today but I stayed strong and didn't cave to the pressure of their begging faces! :rockon Doing it this way I can throw in another day I think to feed them before the next dosage.

Little update on my guys. Bozo and Big Guy spent most of yesterday bottom sitting, where as Wiggles was the most active swimming around most of the time. Wiggles is actually the most active of the 3 now barely spending any time bottom sitting. Bozo did show a little shaking at one point, like trying to throw something off himself but he only did it once and that was it. So maybe the flukes are involved here.

When it came to feeding time today (fed them just a little bit) all 3 turned active and super happy getting ready for their foods. Which was nice to see.

I decided on not putting in the new filter with the carbon and to just let the prazi dissipate over the 4 days with just .1% salt.(or is it actually .01%, oh well whichever one it is. :D )

Will wait one more day and proceed with the second prazi round on Thursday.

Glad to hear that progress is made. If you are adding 1 teaspoon per gallon, then it's 0.1%. I also didn't use charcoal and did 4 rounds of 7 days per round.

Haha I know what you mean. I remember when I first read about salting it went in the .1 .2 and .3%. But then I remember other times reading .01 .02 and .03%. When it comes to things for my fish I just always seem to second guess myself. :wacko: I am never sure of anything.

Still weird swimming going on. He is doing a lot more swimming and little to no bottom sitting. Also he is never sideways when bottom sitting so that is at least. I haven't seen him do any of the crazy scary swimming so that's also a plus. Just lots of swimming in circles. :)

From what it looks like to me he is improving, but I'll have to see after the next treatment.

edit: Oh and Thanks Federica! :)

Edited by wigglies

Update: Just got done with the second round of prazi. Wigglies still acting the same with rapid turn motions. Bozo bottom sat most of the time with the prazi, Big guy bottom sat a little bit.

The only thing that really changed is that on the bottom of my tank there were little pieces of white-ish almost cloudy looking rocks. My first thought was that maybe it was the dead flukes falling off of him but mixed in with those pieces were little black particles which I figured was loose charcoal that I missed taking out of the filter pads when I cut them up last week. I remember reading that the charcoal turns white over time? Or something like that. Wasn't sure if that is the case or maybe it was the parasites. I was going to take a picture but forgot to and then just cleaned my tank so they are gone. I'll keep an eye out for more and be sure to take pictures this time.

One last thing I wanted to ask was how do you guys cool down your water when you boil water to dissolve salt? I have my little jug here filled with salted water waiting for it to cool down before I dump it into my tank. I used about half a gallon to dissolve it and then after it was done filled it up with more tank water but that didn't really cool it down at all. :rofl I have it sitting next to a ice cooler pack but its really not doing anything. :rolleyes:

Thanks for reading. :thumb:

A pic will definitely be helpful to see what's going on with those white particles :)

As for cooling down the salt water, I usually just mix the dissolved hot salt water 1 part to 3 parts of tank water and that's cool enough for me to add :)

Update: Just got done with the third round of prazi. Didn't add salt this time, was going to just let them take a break from all medication. Wigglies still acting up, took a short video to show how he is doing. Big Guy was a little skittish last night, think he may also have something going on. I will continue to watch him and see how things turn out. Bozo hasn't shown any sign of anything, just bottom sits when prazi is in the tank.

I wasn't able to take a picture of those cloudy looking rock/pebbles I was talking about. I am still on the lookout for them though! What I did find when looking for them I believe to be some teeth. Here is the best picture I could take, its kinda bad but just wanted to confirm its teeth.

Untitled-3.jpg

th_MVI_1022.jpg