Something Is Wrong, Do Not Know What It Is.

Woke up today to see Big Guy bottom sitting next to Wiggles. He seems to be swimming around fine so unsure if he is effected as well or is just sad to see Wiggles as he is.

Thank you for the info Fang, and Captain, I will leave the salt as is for now and let prazi do its job. Hopefully flukes is the cause.

Started the prazi treatment. My filter cartridges are the blue ones with the carbon built in so I took them all out. Although I think the carbon has lost its usefulness because they have been in the tank for quite a while. Over time they lose their ability to do their job right? That is what I have heard/read atleast. :) But just to be sure I took them out.

Here's hoping it helps. :please

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

correct in saying that carbon stops working after a while.. like 6 to 8 weeks infact.. but it must be removed as it does cause grit & some nasties to get back into the tank.. so good that you've removed it now.

Wigglies, I hope everything goes well with the treatment. I noticed that you are using tetra florapride. I'm not sure, but about a month and a half ago, I added some anubias to my tank and decided to add Florapride to the tank as per the instruction. Two days later, my blue oranda came down with red streaks and fraying fins. I immediately did a water change and added 0.1% salt. His fins healed up about a week later. I'm just posting this because ever since then, I have shied away from the Florapride, and my problem seemed to have gone away. Because we only routinely check for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, the Florapride may adversely affect the water quality in some other ways that is stressful to our fish.

I wanted to second what Alex has pointed out. Back when my angel tank was planted I used it once and my two year old pk gourami died the two days later. Nothing was wrong with the tank, he wasn't stunted and that was the only change.

When you say you took the filter cartridges with the carbon out, do you mean the whole cartridges or just the carbon? If you took the whole sponge out just cut it open with a pair of scissors to get to the carbon, remove that and put the sponge back in otherwise you will damage your cycle.

Thank you Alex and Ashlee.

I am glad that guys brought that up because the only thing that has changed in my tank was that I started using more of the florapride then I previously had. I have been using it for a while, only that before I was using well under the recommended dosages. It wasn't until maybe a month ago that I started using more towards the correct amount.

Devilduck, I took the cartridges out completely and put them into my qt tank with some tank water in it to keep them alive. The filters still have the biowheels running so I thought that would be alright for the 3 days the prazi was running. Do you think I should still cut them open, take the carbon out and stick them back in the filters?

And lastly, now that the cause could be the florapride, this morning I only did 1 about 65% water change instead of 2 to get rid of all of it. I wanted to wait for the temp to be alright before doing the second wc and got a little ahead of myself and dosed the prazi before I did it. Should I just go back and do the second wc now? Or just wait until after the 3 day prazi treament?

Thanks.

Devilduck, I took the cartridges out completely and put them into my qt tank with some tank water in it to keep them alive. The filters still have the biowheels running so I thought that would be alright for the 3 days the prazi was running. Do you think I should still cut them open, take the carbon out and stick them back in the filters?

Definitely get them back in, the bacteria in the sponges will die off if without food for 12 hours and you'll end up growing nasties you don't want to put back into your filter. The biowheels will take care of the chemical aspect of the filtration, but they won't catch all the bits of muck that inevitably go round a goldie tank, you need the mechanical filtration too and that is what the sponges are for.

Your call on the prazi, personally I would be inclined to do that second water change and get that plant stuff out, it sounds nasty, but prazi's expensive too so whatever you're comfortable with really.

Hello. I would go ahead and cut out the filter padding part of the old cartridges and stuff them back in the filter. I'm only suggesting this because it's better to err on the side of caution and not mess with the cycle gods :D

Did you dose the Florapride back in when you did your water change? If you did, I would do another WC just to get rid of it. I really do think that this stuff is more harm then good. Certainly, my plants don't seem to need it.

Alright I'll go work on getting the carbon out of those cartridges and put them back in there. No, I didn't put the florapride back in. I was always iffy about those things, they never really seemed to help my plants either.

goldies poop enough to feed all the plants trust me!

good call on the filter cartridges, I was worried you took them out too. make sure you don't let them dry out or the bacteria will die.

I would do another w/c. like I said, I had a bad experience with those things. I think they are more meant for tropicals.

Alright cartridges back in the filters with no carbon. Sure is some messy stuff. :wacko: Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head with that one Federica! I'm going to wait a little bit and then do another wc, hopefully taking out what is left from the florapride. I just want to make sure the prazi is well established in the tank before I go changing the water again.

It has been a few hours since the second water change. I put in the prazi needed to bring it back to the normal dosage. Wigglies is acting pretty much the same as before. Big Guy is acting very lethargic and hanging around his buddy Wigglies pretty much just bottom sitting next to him. And Bozo for the most part is acting normal, but will bottom sit from time to time. Is this to be expected from the prazi even if the problem might not be flukes?

I am leaving the lights off and turned the air wands on very low to help reduce the current in the tank. And also not going to feed them for now. I thought I read something about not feeding while on prazi but going back to double check I can't seem to find it. Maybe it was just my imagination.

• Supporter

feeding is fine, but i speak for myself & a few others that we don't feed a normal routine whilst medicating.. fish can go a whole week without food.. as medication is expensive we try to keep the water as clean as possible.. the more you feed, the dirtier the water gets. the most i feed my fish whilst on medication is every third day and only once (and very little) on that day.

Ah alright, that is what I was thinking of doing. Waiting till after the 3 days of prazi treatment, then feed them after the water change. I will go with that then. Thanks Helen.

As of right now all 3 of them are bottom sitting motionless looking like they are sleeping. Its actually kind of scaring me but just keep telling myself its from the prazi. :)

Right now Wigglies is in the corner under my magnet cleaner and has been there for a pretty long time considering how often he has been swimming frantically. As of about 30 mins ago his swimming hadn't changed. It actually was getting to the point where he would fly around and actually fly out of the water. I am lucky I replaced my broken glass cover a couple weeks ago or else I think he may have gone out a couple times.

So for the moment all is quiet. I can only hope this means for the better. Spoke to soon, how he's wiggling around. :(

Wow poor guys!

Have you ever prazied them before? sounds like they could have a pretty high parasitic load :o

The salt is good to clean out the extra mucus and prevent infection in the gills.

It's just a waiting game for now. Usually they are better already after the first week. The first few days are the worse.

• Supporter

As of right now all 3 of them are bottom sitting motionless looking like they are sleeping. Its actually kind of scaring me but just keep telling myself its from the prazi. :)

Right now Wigglies is in the corner under my magnet cleaner and has been there for a pretty long time considering how often he has been swimming frantically. As of about 30 mins ago his swimming hadn't changed. It actually was getting to the point where he would fly around and actually fly out of the water. I am lucky I replaced my broken glass cover a couple weeks ago or else I think he may have gone out a couple times.

So for the moment all is quiet. I can only hope this means for the better. Spoke to soon, how he's wiggling around. :(

can you post a video of the current behaviour?

Nope, they have never been prazi'ed before. Well I sure hope that's not the case! Haha.

The waiting game is always the most stressful. :krazy:

Edit: third time im writing this now haha. Sure I just took a new video now. I used the dark blue light instead of the normal white light to try and not scare them or anything since the lights been off all day. hopefully it came out alright.

Edited by wigglies

If they have never been prazied then it is normal :) all fish come with lots of parasites from stores. then whichever stress happens always leaves room for them to proliferate more and more and eventually that really stressed/and tires the fish.

If they have never been prazied then it is normal :) all fish come with lots of parasites from stores. then whichever stress happens always leaves room for them to proliferate more and more and eventually that really stressed/and tires the fish.

Well that makes me feel a whole lot better. Even though I expected them to act like that from the medication. :D

th_DSCF2097.jpg

Sorry for the wait, kept telling me there were errors uploading when it actually uploaded 4 times.

But anyway, he seems to do the quick turns, and like chasing his tail the most.

• Supporter

the link to my video of the prazi reaction.. yours just look like they're trying to sleep.. i think from the other two, quite normal behaviour. but your hyperdude still affected, it's still early days.

Thanks for sharing that Helen. It is quite informative. Were all the fish in that video fine before the prazi treatment? And they all turned that way specifically because of the prazi?