Is There A Way To Reduce Maintance?

I am thinking about a new tank.. a 100+ gallon approximately 120cm long x 60cm wide x 75cm high tank with a large piece of drift and Anubias and black sand for the bottom. The tank will be for adult Orandas. The location, size and the fact it will have a sand bottom will make it a little difficult for me to be able to make regular siphoning of the bottom so I would like to design a filtering system which will be able to suck in the waste, reducing the amount of decaying waste in the bottom.

The filtering system I was thinking about was a sump filter, reasons being that it adds a useful amount of water to the system and it is easy to clean. Also holds a huge amount of bacteria and I will be able to place some nitrate-sucking plants as well. The pump will be around 3000lph.

I was also thinking to put multiple inlets for the tank(3 or 4) on opposite sides of the aquarium and will use a fan (like the ones used in marine setups) to push debris towards the inlets. I will put sponge prefilters on the inlets due to the sand.

I also need to think ahead since there is a chance in the future that this will become an Oscar tank so I want the best filtration available, although Goldfish themselves are heavy waste makers and require basically the same amount of filtration (per fish size).

Do you think this is a reasonable set up?

Thanks a lot!!!

Mark

You can go barebottom for your goldfish and add gravel (just enough to cover the bottom) when you switch to your O. He is going to movie it around anyways.

Good luck

I don't think you will be able to get away without doing regular gravel/sand siphoning. The ideas you have are good, but in my experience substrate is where the problems often arise with goldfish so you have to be very vigilant about cleaning it. If you do the fan thing, I would also be careful not to create too much current and stress your fish.

You can go barebottom for your goldfish and add gravel (just enough to cover the bottom) when you switch to your O. He is going to movie it around anyways.

Good luck

This tank will be in the living room so I wanted to do a little aquascapeing and I really wanted to have the sandy bottom (maybe I will also try to plant some Vallisneria or a red tiger lotus (I know I know its probably a lost case with goldfish in but I have managed to keep a couple of planted tanks for a while so I thought I might try again).

I don't think you will be able to get away without doing regular gravel/sand siphoning. The ideas you have are good, but in my experience substrate is where the problems often arise with goldfish so you have to be very vigilant about cleaning it. If you do the fan thing, I would also be careful not to create too much current and stress your fish.

Yes, I agree, I will need to be very careful not to create too much current as fancy goldfish really dont appreciate that :) To be honest all my current setups are gravel free or only a very thin layer. Any plants I have planted and planted inside a pot which is hidden behind a piece of wood. Thanks for the suggestions.

Also, if I decide to go for a large cannister filter like the Fluval FX5, do you think I can connect 2 inlets to it (Ie add a Y to its inlet port)? I have never worked with a cannister but I hear they are really good in providing mechanical and biological filtration and are very easy to maintain.

I am sure if you buy some extra parts you should be able to do that. Just make sure you still have 10xgph filteration. This well also be enough you change to an oscar later.

Good luck

This tank will be in the living room so I wanted to do a little aquascapeing and I really wanted to have the sandy bottom (maybe I will also try to plant some Vallisneria or a red tiger lotus (I know I know its probably a lost case with goldfish in but I have managed to keep a couple of planted tanks for a while so I thought I might try again).

Also to note - as a aquascaper myself, goldfish will pick/tear/eat plants. They will do this with love of course, lol, but it is very common for them to "taste" everything or just rip things out for fun.

Good luck

Also to note - as a aquascaper myself, goldfish will pick/tear/eat plants. They will do this with love of course, lol, but it is very common for them to "taste" everything or just rip things out for fun.

yeah i know, but goldfish look so much better when there are a few plants around. I have found that once established, goldfish have little power on large variants of Anubias and if you keep them happy and well fed they wont bother elodea densa either. I am currently trying some valisneria but they pulled it before it could establish some roots but did not seem to be interested in eating it. I suspect that if I give some time for the valisneria to establish and then I introduce the goldfish, it should be able to withstand them.