Catfish Killed Eachother!

i spent last night at my BF house all has been fine i have Eddy still in QT and i put the panty hose on the filter intake tube to keep Ed from tearing his fins anymore all was well except my Bf gave me an extra pack of frozen beef heart my fish have never tried before they have had frozen mysis shrimp otherwise its all conventional other then veggies. so i was eager for them to try some i added 3 dime sized chunks well Ed went crazy! trying to goble up his piece once he got that down he went for a second leaving one chunk left for the catfish well the catfish didnt seem too intrested at first untill all of a sudden they went crazy for the last piece to and started wrestling around like mad! i was inshock and didnt know what to do! and then i noticed pink fleshy pieces flying around!!! :krazy: i started to grab the net then remberd not to for catfish and ran around trying to find somthing to try to catch them in i ran upstairs and grabbed a collander by the time i came back with one both fish were pretty messed up one of which is missing a fin on its side :(. Ed was happily picking at one while i put together my net breeder. unfortunatly by the time i was able to get on 10 gallon set up the one Ed was picking at had died ive moved the other one in a 10 gallon tank though he isnt looking good. they have never shown any signs of aggression toward eachother before nor have they ever gone into a feeding frenzy. i had no idea somthing like that could happen so fast! i mean you look at those fishy mouths they dont look like they would be able to get a real grip on another fish so quick! :idont:idont i just feel bad that its happend that i couldnt react quick enough. the one left now has both his whiskers broken and his gills are bloody hes just kind of rollling around i wouldnt be suprised if he is dead now im keeping him in a dark area to keep calm. poor things :(

Oh no.. :( That's horrible. The best you can do is keep the water clean, try salting and keep it dark, like you're doing...

I really hope he pulls through.. That must be so devastating.. Maybe we could get this moved to the 911 thread, seeing as we don't have one for the tropicals section..

No salt for catfish. They are scaleless and they do not react well to it. I was able to get them to tolerate 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons but no more.

Just use clean water for now. The whiskers will grow back over a couple months.

My guys have taken a blooworm cube from a 8 inch angelfish but never attacked each other.

Oh no! I'm so sorry about your fish! :(

Also, sorry about the salt reccomendation. I did't know catfish can't be salted.. I just assumed, because that's how we treat goldies..

Thanks it was just like WOW a huge shock when it all happend becuase it all happend soo fast! i just dont know why it happend like ive said they have never acted like that before ever ive never seen them fight for anything! they have always stuck close together even lieing on top of one another most days even at night with the lights out they would both zoom back and forth thru the tank but not ever chase eachother they have always ever been mellow almost as mellow as my goldfish some days even more so just lazily drifting around using there whiskers to feel around over the driftwood pieces swimming to the top to see if i was offering anything. only at night were they ever really active but even then not aggressive ive even fed them with the lights out becuase i noticed after moving them to the 80 gallon they started losing weight and i figured it was from the gold fish so i would wait till night time to feed them when the lights were out.

Well there bodies did not go to waste i buried them in my bamboo plants(all my plants are known as the "fish graveyard") i know it seeems gross but they are wonderful fertilizers. they shall be missed greatly ive always loved Pictus they were probably my second favortie fish (after goldies of coarse) but i think im going to take this as a sign and not get anymore for the 80 gallon as they could have just as easily taken it out on Ed and killed him instead of eachother. i called my BF at work last night as asked him if he could make a speciel trip for me up to the pet store on Tuesday i need to pick up some more salt for Eddy, some stress coat for Ed(for his tail) and i think im going to pick up 2 new goldies (considering they have some nice ones! wish me luck that i find somthing!!)