Platies Care

I don't know if the bottom sitting means the same thing. I had 5 platies, 4 did the bottom sitting thing and died soon after. I wish I could help but it never looked for me once they started that.

I have two and they are a year old now. I think the life expectancy is about 1-2 years so it might just be his time. He is not pineconing or showing any external symptoms and the other one is acting fine. I might start salt but thats usually just for external symptoms, isnt it?

My platies/guppies didn't tolerate salt well at all. When I had an ich outbreak I started to slowly add aquarium salt--about half tsp to 10 gals only a couple times. All the fish acted fine until I added the salt then they were either lethargic or erratic--strange behaviors. And they all passed away.

Can you answer all the questions at the top. Also for now do a huge water change. Not so much you have to take the fish out of the tank but take out all you can and the fish still have enough water to swim and breath.

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

0 I am surprised it is 0, it has been for a while. I have green algea and a couple plants so I guess they use it up.

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

drops

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

10gallon - one year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

ac-110

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

50-60% every two weeks

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

2 platys - 1 inch each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

prime, ph stabalizer

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

once to twice a day. Flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp, freeze dried blood works. frozen brine shrimp

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

no

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

no just bottom sitting

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

bottom sitting

I am just going to do a wc for now, probably 80%

It is a male fish

So I did the 80% wc and scrubbed all the algae out as well as a sand vacuum. I took the two plants out as they were covered in green algae and looked pretty bad. Tank looks spic and span now.

lol, not bad. He is still bottom sitting. Not all the time as I have noticed. He still eats and swims around. Just bottom sitting on and off. I notice when the lights are out he bottom sits all the time.

I am not sure whats going on. Kind of worried though.

Never mind, only half the topic showed for me when I read it, so I missed that what I mentioned was already mentioned above!

But about the salt: Texana had bad experiences with it, but so far I didn't. I got the tank at about 0.05% salt right now (going to 0.075% today) because of one of the angels having excess slime coat again. The platies and all the other fish/snails/shrimp seem completely fine with it.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

He is handling that amount of salt fine. I am thinking of adding another 3 teaspoons. Also thinking after that to bring it up to.1%. Anyone recommend what level to bring it up to?

He is still bottom sitting most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little follow up here. The salt seemed to work great. No more bottom sitting. I never really added all that much salt only 3 teaspoons for the 10 gallons. I hear that the live bearers like a little salt so I am adding 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons at every water change now. I think that's what they call a "tonic" on the API Aquarium Salt box.

• Admin

Yeah the live bears I found like to have some salt level in there tank... i throw some salt in the guppy tank at lease once a week after a water change.... :)