Cycling Diary

hey, so i thought it might help if i kept a log of my tank cycle.

That way I can keep track of everything in one place and people can chime in with advice if they see something wrong that I haven't spotted :)

1 small pearlscale in a 20 gal tank (will be moving to my 30 gal soon though)

I am feeding a couple of goldfish granules (soaked) each day

Today is day 2

Ammonia levels are still 0

Yesterday I did a 50% water change as he was acting sluggish, he is much perkier today though.

Probably wont do a water change today, need to see a little ammonia action

Fed 2 granules this morning.

Edited by katmad

There is no set regime for water changes, you have to work on the basis of testing every single day and changing your water depending on your test results. A diary would certainly help you flag up a problem quickly so that members on here can offer advice or help.

There is no set regime for water changes, you have to work on the basis of testing every single day and changing your water depending on your test results. A diary would certainly help you flag up a problem quickly so that members on here can offer advice or help.

Precisely, I only did a water change yesterday because of his sluggishness, but the levels are 0 and he's active today, so will retest the water again every evening and every morning and work off the results

(unless he starts acting strange again - he is the best judge of the water quality I suppose!!)

PS I love the pic in your signature!

Ok Ammonia still 0 but in a bigger tank now, so I'm gonna give it some time. Water's a tiny bit cloudy so might do a 10-20% change later on.

Started feeding 1 or 2 granules about 4 times a day

Edited by katmad

Could be a bacteria bloom. As you are creating a small eco system in your aquarium all kinds of new life will be blossoming. Most people fall down at this stage due to assuming rather than testing. The biggest mistake can be thinking that if they have no ammonia for a few days they can just test and change the water tomorrow. Missing a day can result in ammonia levels suddenly shooting up to dangerous levels and stressing the fish leaving it open to secondary problems that are usually quite easily avoided.

You seem to be doing just fine though, keep it up and your fish will thank you for it :)

I Am without a computer for a few days due to a virus but will come back on and update u on the cycling progress when it's fixed in a couple of days

Edited by katmad

Ammonia looks like it's creeping up to 0.25

I got another fish

I thought it might help as Zebedee on his own is so tiny in that tank that it would prob take ages for the cycle to start

(Also, he has really perked up since I got the friend, got it from the same tank in the same store as Z so I added it straight away and they have been inseparable since! I never thought fish got lonely but I can see now that Z was a bit sad on his own.)

Going to do a 20% water change today

I didnt do one yesterday

Edited by katmad

Ok so just for the heck of it, i dipped a nitrite and nitrate test strip in the tank yesterday. The nitrite was 0 but the nitrate showed some colour so I got suspicious...

:testkit:

this morning I got all my drop tests out - results as follows:

Ammonia - very little. Very yellow, with a tiny greenish tinge. so about 0.25 at the absolute most

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - between 15 and 20

Can my tank be cycled??!! :blink:

It's only been up and running for a week and a bit, if you count the time that the filter was in the smaller tank with my 1 fish initially.

I used old filter media from my betta tank in the filters, but they had been rinsed clean with tap water and then kept in a carboard box bone dry for a week - the only thing I can think is that the bacteria survived this somehow?!?!

This is very unusual, no?!?!

Edited by katmad

ok at the weekend I had 0.5 ammonia

Did a 20% water change

today:

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrite 0 - 0.5 (0 on the drop test, 0.5 on the strip test)

Nitrate 20

ok at the weekend I had 0.5 ammonia

Did a 20% water change

today:

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrate 20

Seems to be going according to plan :D. (given that for ammonia 0.5 + 20% w/c => 0.4, I think that your nitrite is most likely more than zero - that, and the nitrate has to come from somewhere :rolleyes:).

:goodjob

The less ammonia the better, if you do a 50% water change it will bring the ammonia down to 0.25. As you have fish in the tank they are going to be producing waste constantly so keep on top of those water changes.

Results today

Ammonia 0.5

Nitrate 20

will do another 50% change today to knock the ammonia back down to 0.25 again

hoping to see some nitites soon

Edited by katmad

Results today

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 40

wonder if i'll ever see nitrites or if my cycle has whizzed through that step without me noticing!

Fishies are still very happy and healthy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

Still cycling away - did a 50% change yesterday.

No nitrite but definite nitrates so i'm hoping we're nearly there and the bacteria has developed which turns nitrite to nitrate and that's why i havent seen any at all!!

Was getting brown spot algae too.

The fishies are eating a combo of hikari lionhead, tetra granules, bloodworms in jelly, algae wafers, peas and spinach. About 3 times a day.

The orange fish with black fins has nearly lost all the black colouring, which I expected would happen but not this quickly!

Params:

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: between 10 and 20

Edited by katmad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again

Right Ammonia is now 0!! woo hoo! :lol1

Before water change:

Nitrites = 2

Nitrates = 20

After a big change Nitrites are down to 1 so I'll prob need to keep changing the water fairly frequently to keep them down below 2.

Fish are still happy - Zeb's lost all his black apart from his moustache and they are both eating and swimming happily :D

Edited by katmad