Sign in to follow this  
jadenichole

Help! :( Flukes?

There are also red patches on her body that seemed to be more there today than in yesterday's pic.

Are those red patches, or just glints of her scale color? They look purple on my computer screen, so I thought they were just glints of scale color.

I don't think those are glints off her scale color. I have a blue, and their normal coloration doesn't include that. Those look like blood/irritated patches to me. You can see the progression from one day to the next. There was some on the peduncle yesterday, and it had gotten larger today, for example.

Hmm... yes I see what you're saying. I think there is some variation among blues though. It could be the angle of the photo made the second one look more purple/pink than the first? Jade, is this purple/pink color something you've noticed spreading, or in person can you tell it's just color reflecting off the fish?

I dont see anything.. I think its the photo angle.. I do see she now has scratches under her chin (little blood spots kindof) Im just ready to scream :(:cry - and also a small blood spot on her scale.. is this just from the bottom sitting? would she be happier if I picked up a small 5 or 10 gallon tank and put tank water from the 25 gallon in there?? so shes alone? with me plants.. rocks etc to scrach her?

I'm glad it's the photo angle. :)

My thought is that she would be most comfortable staying where she is. I think it might be too stressful for her to be moved. :( A lot of times parasites break the skin and allow opportunistic bacteria to invade the fish. I wonder if that could be going on with Luna. If you can, try to get a pic of the scratches and blood spot you noticed.

Just an update.. Luna has passed :cry:idont .. no more fish for a long time.. Wisco was bumping her so I set her in a colander and she just passed right away :( .. he'll be pretty sad.. she was such a nice fish .. I'm just devastated.. she hand fed right from the pet store.. and they slept together the first night.. they just loved each other.. and she was so friendly.. and I made her suffer :( I feel terrible! What a bad day! :( :( :cry ..

I'm so sorry about Luna, Jade. I know you feel terrible, but it wasn't anything you did in the short time you had her. She was probably just a weak and sick little girl from the start. That is the reason why I started buying fish from Dandy Orandas, they are healthy and strong most of the time. I had too much heartache with fish from the LFS. A healthy fish will be able to make it through cycling, especially with how much water changing you are doing. You did the best you could for her, and that's all that matters. Don't let this discourage you from getting another fish if you want Wisco to have a buddy.

Its just weird.. Wisco came from lousy Pets*Mart and doubles in size in the month I have had him and did have a bit of a rough time when she brought the flukes in but he looks good sinse the prazi treatment and then she just flew down hill on me and she came from a fancy petshop.. I would have thought he would have been the one to go downhill.. if he ends up getting sick again when I readd the prazi on wednesday Ill be so sad.. but he seems good.. Im just having a bad day period and then she died and now Im just in tears.. its just crappy I feel horrible.. Im going to go bury her in my garden shortly.. :(:cry

And I wouldn't and couldn't take a picture of my dead fish.. but the amount of white on her fins from this morning in the picture above and right now is absolutely INSANE.. I just can't believe the progression its crazy .. I just dont' even know what went on with her :(

I'm so sorry for your loss Jade. :( I wish there was more that could have been done, but it sounds like it was out of our hands. RIP little Luna :heart

How is Wisco doing? Does he seem better since you started the Prazi?

Just an update for everyone.. Wisco's doing great.. but since adding charcoal this am.. he is bothered since the eggs hatched out today and are back at him and bothering him.. which is normal as confirmed by Sakura.. hopefully the 2nd round of prazi will kill them all of.. little jerks!!

I never use charcoal in between prazi doses. A lot of fish are really bothered by charcoal and the prazi disipates in the water after time anyway. That could actually be bothering him.

I am so sorry about your sweet Luna.

Oh, Jade. I am so sorry to hear about Luna. May she RIP.

You did your best. Sometimes that's all you can do.

Amy I just recommended the carbon in Jade's case because she's doing daily large water changes and redosing the prazi after each water change. So it would take longer to wait for the prazi to dissipate, and I didn't think it would be practical. I've never had a problem with fish being irritated by carbon though. :unsure:

I'm so sorry for your loss Jade. Some fish are just stronger by nature hun and genetics can be a part of that also. You were doing the right thing in trying to help her get rid of something she already had when you got her so you shouldn't feel like you did anything wrong, you tried your best to save her.

Just an update.. Wisco seems to be doing better I have done my 2nd dose of Prazi.. I started it a day early.. (only had the charcoal in for 24 hours) and re-dosed the Prazi - He did have a few flashing episodes so hopefully they continue to decrease.. I will continue and do 3 full doses of the Prazi before seeing if there is anything else we are dealing with parasite wise..

Last night I did come home and notice excess slimecoat and bubbles stuck to him from the excess slimecoat .. Sakura has thought this was because he was defending himself from any parasites that were trying to attack him.. hopefully just the flukes of course.. since he's improving Im really really hoping the last 2 doses of Prazi take care of everything..

I picked up pickling and canning salt and then anti-bacterial and anti-parasite food incase of emergency and anthing else comes up (fingers crossed it doesn't!).. again.. he seems to be doing great but hoping when adding the charcoal and any other eggs hatch out.. he doesn't react badly! :( - I'll post back tomorrow night when adding charcoal if he reacts badly!

Thanks for checking back and any advice / comments you have!

Keep Wisco in your thoughts/prayers :)

Jade

Edited by Jadafish

Amy I just recommended the carbon in Jade's case because she's doing daily large water changes and redosing the prazi after each water change. So it would take longer to wait for the prazi to dissipate, and I didn't think it would be practical. I've never had a problem with fish being irritated by carbon though. :unsure:

Oops...missed that! Sorry, Sakura. I am super paranoid about carbon since I was using it heavily when I had the ulcer outbreak and some people think it causes ulcers. I would suggest rinsing really well before using it (I wasn't doing that).

Oops...missed that! Sorry, Sakura. I am super paranoid about carbon since I was using it heavily when I had the ulcer outbreak and some people think it causes ulcers. I would suggest rinsing really well before using it (I wasn't doing that).

Rinsing well is a really good idea, thanks for adding that Amy!

Stop freaking me out everyone lol.. I do rinse it :) I dont know what "well" means I rinse it til I don't see anything black coming from it.. maybe about 2-3 minutes?? I hope thats sufficient?? :(...

Update ** My tiny dancer seems to be improving.. I did add the charcoal back tonight so fingers crossed not too many eggs hatch out and destroy his good mood :) - He's doing great almost back to normal I'd say.. so hoping it stays this way!! :)

2-3 minutes is perfect. :) I'm so glad Wisco is improving!

Charcoal has been in since 12:30 am CST last night (morning)... NO BAD REACTION to the charcoal :rockon:goodluck:grouphug:clapping: SO HAPPY ..

Eating like a tank happy as can be :)

Hoping this keeps up :) :) :)