Sign in to follow this  
jadenichole

Help! :( Flukes?

So Monday night I put the bag full of carbon into the filter (into the white filter thing already in the filter) and do water changes as normal but dont add any prazi on MONDAY or TUESDAY- but then continue dosing with prazi on wednesday again and remove the charcoal on wed ??

So Monday night I put the bag full of carbon into the filter (into the white filter thing already in the filter) and do water changes as normal but dont add any prazi on MONDAY or TUESDAY- but then continue dosing with prazi on wednesday again and remove the charcoal on wed ??

:exactly

Just remember to remove the carbon before you dose in Prazi :)

Ok and how much prazi do I add tom since I'm doing a 75% water change? The full one and a quarter tsp rated for my 25 gallon tank??? Or less than that?? And do I still do 75% chgs each day if the params are good while working with the prazi?

If your parameters are good (ammonia and nitrites both zero or very close to it) you don't have to do a daily water change. But keep a close eye. Those nitrites take a while to really go away and as you've seen, they can jump up quick at this stage of cycling. If you do a 75% change then you need to redose 75% of the prazi dose. Which in your tank should be .94 teaspoons, so just almost a full teaspoon.

Edited by flutterbudget

Wisco's gulping at the surface this am.. Luna seems to be fine.. I'm gonna do a water change regardless :S... I have a ton of air bubblers in there.. will post back with params in a bit! :)

I think the babies are improving.. :) and even better yet.. I think my tank is REALLY cycling along :) This am I had 0 ammonia.. nitrites were low enough I couldn't really read them.. (under .25 for sure) and nitrates under 10 ppm .. so I'm hoping this keeps going the way it is :) - I still did a 25% water change since wisco was periodically gulping at the top for air?? Is this normal with the medication eating all that O2 out of the water?? I bought a big bubble wall last night plus I have a big bubble disc.. Hopefully the 25% change helps.. but I did watch after adding the .30 tsp of prazi back due to the water change and they acted normal.. but he did gulp once after the prazi addition..

Ill keep watching and posting :) thanks again guys :)

Edited by Jadafish

Yes gulping is normal after prazi especially if they are affected by flukes, and it definitely does reduce the O2 in the water. You're doing great :)

Great ok its good thats normal.. stupid flukes but like I said atleast we found the culprit :) .. thanks for everyones help Im so glad I have everyones support :):heart

Params are at 0 ammonia 5 nitrates and about .12 nitrites still think ill do a 50% change before I leave tonight for a bit to get the nitrites as low as possible ... :)

Just making sure I measured this out right so its 0.05 tsp per gallon of each water change correct? So I just did a 10.5 gallon water change so I added about 1/2 tsp of Prazi again.. this is accurate right??

Also.. I added prazi this am with my water change so I shook the bottle (noticed it says shake well before adding) .. and I shook it this am but before adding the 1/2 tsp tonight I forgot to shake it.. grrr.. Should I be ok since I shook it this am??

Jade

HELP! No weird behavior (behaviors on both fish improving a ton.. but just noticed brown on both sides of lunas head)?? not growth?? just brown coloring?? what could this be??

Is this something new, or is this something you've just noticed? Are you talking about the chocolaty/brownish coloring to the scales? Blue goldfish aren't necessarily all that silvery grey color. There are patches of brown also. My Ulquiorra has them also.

Yup, that brown coloration is normal to "blue" fish. However, I'm sorry to point this out, but do you see the dilated blood vessels/red streaks in the caudal fin? This is likely the result of water quality issues. I'm not sure if you should salt your tank right now, but you definitely need to keep your water pristine, with ammonia & nitrites at 0.

Edited by dnalex

Im confused :( My nitrites the past couple days were under or at .25 :(.. and my nitrates haven't been over 5 ppm and my ammonia was at 0?? How could his blood vessels be dilated :( :(

Also why would this brown just have come out tonight.. I know I would have noticed it before does it just bloom like that??

Because blue goldfish rarely stay blue. Anything can start the color change. Need to keep your water perfect as suggested while you cycle. That means lots of large water changes.

Here is a close up pic of Ulquiorra and his brownish coloration also. I did not see this until a few days after I brought him home, and I also freaked out at first. However, I've looked at many blue (oranda) pics since then, and this is normal.

Ulquiorracropped.jpg

As for why you are getting the red streaks, perhaps it is because of the accumulation of exposure to ammonia/nitrites and other things. I realize that you've been doing your best to keep levels lower than 0.25ppm, but I think you mentioned you had a spike to 1ppm at one point. That level is quite toxic. Also, 0.25ppm nitrites is still not good, and the semi-chronic exposure to this level might have contributed. I hope other more experienced members will weigh in soon.

Edit: looks like Hidr did, already :)

Edited by dnalex

Thx as mentioned levels are zero for tonight :) lights r out for my babies :) will test params again in the am :)

Ok.. got home and lunas all clamped ??? Still swimming around.. you'd think if she was bothered enough to be clamped she would be bottom sitting?? But shes swimming around.. just clamped??

Wisco' looked good when I turned his light on first thing this am.. even had some wen pimples coming in.. but then he did a big flash this am.. is it normal to still be having a big flash come out while in treatment?? I was thinking after 24 hours he would be out of the flashing stage maybe not...

As for Luna.. is it normal to still be clamped all up this far into treatment (48 hours ish)... I don't know what else to do for her.. :( She does still swim around alot .. eat etc.. and she even plays in the bubbles from time to time.. but she is just so clamped.. it's very strange..

Ok.. got home and lunas all clamped ??? Still swimming around.. you'd think if she was bothered enough to be clamped she would be bottom sitting?? But shes swimming around.. just clamped??

Wisco' looked good when I turned his light on first thing this am.. even had some wen pimples coming in.. but then he did a big flash this am.. is it normal to still be having a big flash come out while in treatment?? I was thinking after 24 hours he would be out of the flashing stage maybe not...He also still occasionally yawns as well as Luna and bottom sits a little bit with dorsal down...

As for Luna.. is it normal to still be clamped all up this far into treatment (48 hours ish)... I don't know what else to do for her.. :( She does still swim around alot .. eat etc.. and she even plays in the bubbles from time to time.. but she is just so clamped.. it's very strange..

On a very positive note.. last night I did a 50% change before I left and this am I still have 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and a little under 5 nitrates.. so I think Im just about cycled :) - This should help a ton with calming them while medicating.. I just dont know about the above behaviors noted... :( Also.. as far as the oxygen loss with medicating.. should I maybe still be doing large water changes to make sure Im replacing enough oxygen in the tank.. or with the 2 large bubblers I have should they be fine?

I think it can take a while for them to start feeling totally better. As long as nothing it drastically worse than before, I'd keep doing what you're doing. :)

Ok I also just noticed.. a tiny bit of cotton string like thing on luna.. with bubbles attached to it?? and then I noticed a few strings of this also on my plants?? What could this be?? Its really strange?? And her poor little blood vessels in her back fin are still dilated :(

Edited by Jadafish

Is it coming from her vent? It might be poo. Sometimes when the fish are stressed they have "stress poo" which looks like a long wispy white thread. It can get all tangled up in the plants too, and it sometimes contains bubbles.