Sign in to follow this  
jadenichole

Help! :( Flukes?

Should I rinse the white part off in tank water?? The other day I moved it a bit and it like put yuckies back in the water I haven't rinsed those since I started my tank.. back like.. a month and a half or so ago :S...

You can swish it lightly in a bucket of old tank water, yes. Not super vigorously, since you don't want to damage too many beneficial bacteria while you're still trying to cycle the tank, but enough to dislodge much of the big gunky stuff is fine.

I'm gonna do a quick water test / change if needed and let you look at these last 2 videos I ran today.. before I decide on the prazi treatment for sure .. let me know what you think of these 2 most current videos shot today - thanks for your time I really appreciate it! :) so do my fish! :)

th_027.jpg

th_026.jpg

th_016.jpg

Edited by Jadafish

I still think they seem a tad irritated... especially when they huddle in the corner like that. That's not normal. I'd say make sure your ammonia and nitrite are as low as possible (preferably zero), and go ahead with the first dose of Prazi when you're ready. Just another reminder; while the Prazi is in the water, make sure you test and change the water as often as needed to keep amm. and nitrites super low. :) If you notice any bad reactions to the Prazi, let us know.

Do i put the prazi in with the water change water or directly into the tank?? And how much do you suggest I start with for a 25 gallon tank??

I just follow the dosing directions on the bottle. If you got PraziPro it should be something like one teaspoon per every 4 gallons of water.. I'd check on your bottle. I always just add it right to the tank, but when you do that it will disperse slowly in a cloud. Just avoid pouring it near either of the fish. One of my fish (Toad) swam right into this cloud of Prazi one time, and he didn't like it! Poor guy. :( He was fine, but from now on I'm more careful about where I pour it into the tank.

If it's PraziPro, it's one teaspoon for every 20 gallons. So for 25 it would be one and a quarter teaspoons. There should be directions on the bottle. Just add it to the tank after you finish the water change.

If it's PraziPro, it's one teaspoon for every 20 gallons. So for 25 it would be one and a quarter teaspoons. There should be directions on the bottle. Just add it to the tank after you finish the water change.

Woops, that's what I meant! lol It's 4 teaspoons total that I add to my 75 gallon tank, that's where I got the number four. See... this is why I said to double check that :rofl :rofl Ohboy... I think I need a break from the computer for a while. :doh11:

Woops, that's what I meant! lol It's 4 teaspoons total that I add to my 75 gallon tank, that's where I got the number four. See... this is why I said to double check that :rofl :rofl Ohboy... I think I need a break from the computer for a while. :doh11:

I had to go read the back of my bottle after a read your post. I was like, holy cow maybe I've been seriously under dosing... :rofl

Haha! Yeah 1 teaspoon per 4 gallons would be INSANE! I'm so glad you caught that! :)

Little one seems to be acting out by flashing a bit since adding prazi.. not hitting rocks.. but flashing a bit.. wisco as well just acting a bit jerky.. is this normal??

Wiscos gills were also moving an and out a little wider than normal.. and I did add an extra air wand a really big one and did a big water change so everything is pristine for sure right now..

Yes twitching is normal. It's because the flukes are reacting to the prazi and irritating the fish more. I'm sure the flashing is the same. And I've heard of fish breathing a little hard at first, too. My Stanley got quite bottom-sitty and a bit pale with his first round of prazi.

Sometimes if the fluke infestation is really bad, they do flash a little when you first add the prazi. It's because the prazi is killing and irritating the flukes, so that irritates the fish's gills. :( It should get better soon.

I figured as much.. good to hear .. should I maybe turn the lights out to relax them?? Or maybe give them a pebble of food.. my baby fish loves hand feeding.. she would probably like a pebble of food?? :)

And they might bottom sit for a little bit, but this is normal for the first day.

As much as it sucks they are twitching a bit.. I guess it's good that it sounds like we've found out it IS flukes.. and we know what it is!!??? :unsure::doh11::krazy::bingo: .. they calmed down a bit now it seems..

I think turning off the lights would be a good idea. :) If you've already fed them today, I wouldn't give them any more.

Yep now Wisco is twitching his front flippers and kindof freaking out a bit.. :( oh gosh poor babies.. stupid parasites.. what a bunch of meanies! :( :( :(

Yes, feed them sparingly for the time being, because you will also really need to watch your water parameters.

I don't have any proof of this, but I tend to think it's more itchy for them than painful. Try not to worry too much :)

Oh and good news you'll all enjoy.. I haven't had ANY ammonia since yesterday.. so hoping that my cycle is coming along! I had that huge jump to 1 ppm nitrites a day or two ago.. it jumped from .25 to 1ppm in 10 hours ... I was like holy cow.. and then all the sudden my ammonia disappeared.. haven't had any in like 36 hours.. and my nitrites haven't gone over .25 in 24 hours.. so this is great to see.. hopefully I dont wreck the cycle with this treatment stuff but oh well.. if I do that fishless cycle I'm running is almost done and I can move that media over when this fluke stuff is over with and hopefully get this tank cycled quickly and get these fishies healthy and their house cycled :) and all pretty! :) oh man! when this is over I will be SO RELIEVED!

How long until they start feeling better usually?!

That's great news about the cycle! Sounds like you're almost there.

Well the first dose of Prazi wipes out most of the flukes, so they should start to feel noticeably better within the next day or so. The subsequent doses you do are just to kill the eggs that hatched out since adding the first dose.

So tomorrow when I change the water.. how much prazi do I add and do I add the charcoal tomorrow or when do I do that?

Yeah, you don't need to add the carbon until the end of the third day. Then leave it in for two full days, take it out, and dose prazi again. Make sense? It's just so that there is a period of time in-between prazi doses where there is no prazi in the water at all. The prazi won't kill fluke eggs, and the eggs will not hatch if there's prazi in the water. So periods of time with no prazi in-between doses is required so the eggs hatch and those flukes can be killed too.