Torn Fins

so while my pearl scale is still in QT for the cysts or whatever they are my oranda has the big 80 gal last night i started to notice that his fins are looking a bit raggedy. so i watched closly most of the night seeing why and noticed that he is getting him tail a bit too close to the filters they get sucked in and torn! ive added salt and haveb been taking him out a few times a day to swab him fins in peroxide to prevent infection or anything. but how can i stop his fins from getting sucked in? ive also decided to start doing larger water changes to keep them clean last night i did a 99% water change (of which he seems to be enjoying) but his fins are jsut so long and flowy hes always been prone to getting a bit ragged around the edges but not like this im not sure why hes suddenly been spending so much time around the filters but he has he acts almost like hes having a grand ole time :/ maybe it has to do with the snails laying there eggs there and hes justnotice them i dunno but some advice would be great. and here are my water prams:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 7?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.0

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops

[*]Water temperature? with the warmer weathers its been up to 77

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 80 gallons running about 6 months

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Emperor bio wheel 400 (or is it penguin? i always get them mixed up) theres two plus i recently added a small whisper 30 to basically "season it" for another tank.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? about 75 percent every thursday once per week

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? 99 percent last night and im going to do another today

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? right now 3 2 catfish and one goldfish catfish are about 3 inches goldfish is about 5inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? start right water conditioner

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? they get fed sometimes 5 times per day lol fruits vegtables,omega one flakes and pellets

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? jsut salt for his fins

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? just the frayed fins from the filter

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? acting normal except for him hanging around the filter intake picking at it hes not floaty or weak cause when his fins catch he swims off then comes right back.

You can cover the filter intake with pantyhose. :) That might help alot. That way his fins won't get stuck to it as easily and if they do they won't tear.

first never rub a fish with peroxide and second attach a sponge to the filter to make it a bit weaker.

ive done peroxide treatment to guppies tails before it always helped out alot i dont use it on there bodies jsut the fins edges panty hose is a good idea ill have to pick some up tonight thank you

Yes, zainpotter, peroxide is ok to use in diluted solutions on the edges of tails if the finrot is serious to prevent further infection and to promote new cell growth. It's also used for ulcers and sores on the fish to help clean out any bacteria.

• 1 month later...

You can cover the filter intake with pantyhose. :) That might help alot. That way his fins won't get stuck to it as easily and if they do they won't tear.

I have a similar problem. Can I just use a rubber band to attach the panty hose (assuming the foot section) to the filter tube?