Simulating Seasonal Changes In A Warm Building

Sharkasm

I really want to breed my golfish to stock my year old pond and possibly a much larger pond project in design stages. Any fish under an inch or so long I lose to garter snakes so i want to breed indoors soon and raise them large enough to be introduced to the pond this summer. Here is my dilemma. My house is kept at a constant 70 degrees day and night so the water temp will never fall below that to simulate seasonal changes. I am feeding heavily with daily water changes of 10-20% and just recently added a heater to try and bring it up closer to the 75 degree range. I'm hoping that will help. Any other thoughts other than spending a small fortune on a chiller system?

I really want to breed my golfish to stock my year old pond and possibly a much larger pond project in design stages. Any fish under an inch or so long I lose to garter snakes so i want to breed indoors soon and raise them large enough to be introduced to the pond this summer. Here is my dilemma. My house is kept at a constant 70 degrees day and night so the water temp will never fall below that to simulate seasonal changes. I am feeding heavily with daily water changes of 10-20% and just recently added a heater to try and bring it up closer to the 75 degree range. I'm hoping that will help. Any other thoughts other than spending a small fortune on a chiller system?

Looks like the water changes and feeding and a few degree difference was all it took. I woke this morning to a chase going on in the main tank so i moved the culprits into a breeding tank. 1 large orange and white fancy and 1 male the same but a little smaller and one grey- black fancy about half her size also a male. It was only minutes before the chasing resumed and 30 minutes later i could see the first eggs! I was unfortunately working at the time from home so I couldnt supervise all of it and most of the first eggs i noticed are gone presumably eaten and the chase continues.

I made an acrylic yarn spawning mop which seems to be her favorite spot when ready and it does seem to hide a certain amount of the eggs from them. I plan on removing the paretns when they're done and leaving the eggs here to incubate and brgin to raise until they are large enough to tranfer into a larger tank. I'll update later again. I just got out of work!

Stay tuned!

Excellent news that you got them 'in the mood' :D.

I was going to try a candlelit dinner but the candles just wouldnt stay lit under water!

Yeah, I can see how that can be a problem :rolleyes::).

LEss then 12 horus and there's a fry swimming in the tank??? How's that possible I was expecting a couple of days at least.

That indeed seems very fast (though I have no personal experience with that). Are there any places that eggs could 'hide', meaning that it might be a hatched batch from a little longer ago?

I believe it must be from another breeding session I wasn't aware of and had to have gotten into the breeding tank when I moved a sponge that I keep over the inlet of the external filter from one tank to another. I wanted to have it in place now so that when the fry are large enough I dont have to disturb too much and I can then just plug it in when they are large enough to handle the current. He's free swimming and I did have a chance to see him feed last night. The only other pair that I have seen in a spawning chase were two small orandas one bright orange female and one with a black top and fins with orange sides. should be interesting to see what it grows into. Could be a number of other fish from the main tank too. I'm just going to have to wait and see!